• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Great Marsh

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
The Great Marsh is Sinnoh's answer to the Safari Zone of previous generations. The idea, like the Safari Zone, is simple - you get a limited number of steps and a limited supply of Poke Balls to capture the numerous types of Pokemon in. Some are common, such as Wooper, while others prove more elusive such as Yanma. You don't get to send out Pokemon within the marsh - you either bait Pokemon with food, or throw mud at them to agitate them. Bait raises the likelihood of fleeing, while mud lowers it.

Did you guys visit the Great Marsh often? Why or why not? If you have, how much time did you spend? How many Pokemon did you catch?

Years
This is kind of the only thing that disappointed me a bit in my current, first run on Platinum.

First of all, it's monotone, 6 "areas" completely same looking. Also, Pokemon found there are bad too. The only Pokemon worth the visit are Tropius, Yanma, Carnivine, Skroupi and maybe Tangela. The rest can be found outside. It's terrible for a place that's supposed to be "Safari"-kind of place. Also what is the train for? It carries you 20 feet further to the same looking area with almost identical Pokemon to be found.
Marsh is a cool idea, but only marsh is a bad idea.

:D

Aquali Umiko

Roaring back with a vengeance!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 5, 2015
I don't want to be too harsh, but I absolutely loathe the Great Marsh. It's just kind of... Bleh? I never really enjoy it, I always find myself agitated when I'm in there.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I thought it was kinda interesting because it matched the "water-type" theme of the city, but the Pokemon in it were kinda lame. I also hate walking through mud, but I guess that's just nitpicky since mud is important in the Marsh. I didn't really go in there often but I wish there were some more areas, especially because there are marsh routes right outside of the city and the types of Pokemon are only what make the GM unique.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I liked it! It contained some pretty unique Pokemon, particularly Skourpi which I actually caught, evolved and used on my team as Drapion. It also had Wooper (<3) which is one of the cutest Pokemon ever so props to the Great Marsh for having it.

The only downside I found was all the mud. Jeez, it was sooo annoying having to smash my direction pad again and again to get out of the mud haha. The train was a nifty feature too...but maybe a little unnecessary.

Years
I visited often - the concept was a welcome change from the same old Safari Zone the past few generations. All the mud was kind of frustrating, but it wouldn't have felt like a marsh without it, so I guess in a way it was necessary, haha. When I first played through Diamond, I had never seen a Carnivine before, and was totally blown away. I recall yelling out to my brother, who was playing Pearl for the first time in the other room, to come look at it. xD;

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
Didn't like it, so didn't visit it often. In fact, I don't even recall catching any Pokemon there, since I never found them to be appealing - save for a few, though I wasn't aware of them being in the Marsh lol.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I liked it, and have captured plenty of Pokémon from Great Marsh. Only thing I wasn't too fond of regarding this place was its size; to me, it looked quite small. It was also pretty straightforward, so to speak; meaning, there were no curves, ponds, sand, or anything else that Safari Zone features, and everything seemed to be lined in a row. If it weren't for these things, Great Marsh would've been a lot more enjoyable, I'm sure.

Years
I visited a lot because I wanted to collect 'em all for the dex entries. Took me a while to get 'mons like Carnivine and the safari itself was a bit frustrating due to the mud among other things but a safari always has so many cool Pokemon to capture. Couldn't pass up on the opportunity.

Skylar97

Hack enjoyer
Years
The Great marshe was the WORST safari zone ever made. You basically pay 500 poke to get stuck in mud and encounter really only 3 pokemon.

Yes there were a few good pokemon and even more after the national pokedex but to me personally it was the worst in level design and just in the "fun" factor.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
I always forget about the great marsh. I don't really care for the pokemon you can get in there.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I always go because I like Croagunk...still only ever owned him twice. On the contrary to what a lot of you are saying, the train is incredibly necessary, what with the mud causing you to mash your d-pad and sometimes end up going in the wrong direction, and the step limit.
A lot of the pokémon were disappointing, and it felt like we had too many with the extreme rarity of say, Miltank in Emerald's safari zone.

Years
I didn't care for the Great Marsh, either. As Skylar said, it was really annoying getting stuck in mud and encountering so few Pokémon, considering the possible encounters change every day and most of the Pokémon aren't as interesting. Not the most fun time for me, but Croagunk and Skorupi are kinda nice.

Years
The Great Marsh definitely has to be one of my least favourite Safari Zones(along with HGSS for the long waiting time for certain Pokémon). A lot of the Pokémon had such low encounter rates that it always felt like you only ever really encountered Woopers or Bibarels there and it was such a pain to navigate due to the mud. The lack of variety in the scenery also really hurt it.

Years
I think my favourite thing about the Great Marsh was that you could look through the binoculars upstairs to see what Pokémon were lurking, I thought that was pretty neat :)

Back