• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Harvest Moon Tool Kit (HMTK)

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
I have an extra copy. And I don't mind giving it away anyway. If you want it please pm me
That would be awesome, thanks. However, I won't mess with it just yet. Not until this actually gets finished and can be ported over to the new program all at once.

Also, I do have some screenshots, but not the assortment I would like for featuring them on the front page. I need to make gifs out of some, shrink them, add more, etc etc, so for now here's a link to my images on ImageShack: http://imageshack.us/user/KitsuneKouta. I may not get around to taking screens of everything for a while, especially since some key features that should be showcased in the screenshots don't even exist yet.

romhunter

The Bringer of Light
Years
Well, do you need spirites for chicken, dog, cat, horse and such? I can make or rip some from the game if you need. And some suggestion: please remove the stamina bar. It's rather annoying. And the item system, you could make it look like HM:FoMT. It's better than a guy holding an ax on his head. And if you need a mapper, I'm always here.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Well, do you need spirites for chicken, dog, cat, horse and such? I can make or rip some from the game if you need. And some suggestion: please remove the stamina bar. It's rather annoying. And the item system, you could make it look like HM:FoMT. It's better than a guy holding an ax on his head. And if you need a mapper, I'm always here.
Yes, sprites would help a lot actually if you can get them in the SNES style. I also need the cow (but I believe only the side sprites exist in-game. at least, that's all I could find) and a sheep. The sheep will have to come from another game and be re-sprited into the SNES style (One of the old GB games had a sheep that could be used. The FoMT sheep could also be devamped instead).

As for the stamina bar, that can be disabled in the settings. Just open the script editor, go down to the section called Settings, and find a constant with STAMINA_BAR in the name and make it false. It's currently coded to show the stamina bar by default, and tiredness animations if the stamina bar is disabled. However, there are no animations for that yet, so you won't have any indication of your remaining stamina.

The item system has already been partially re-written to be more like FoMT, so you won't hold tools over your head in the next release. It was initially designed to be like HM:MM, however it would require a lot of spriting to show the various tools in the player's hands in a visually appropriate way. Therefore, it will be downgraded to the FoMT style.

@Varion: those screenshots are only a tiny indication of what's in this project. The mountain where you can pick up items to ship in the shipping bin (and the shipping dude who comes and picks them up), the mine where you can dig for coins and stairs as well as break rocks for ores and gems, and the farming system which allows you to grow crops just like in the actual games weren't included in the screenshots just yet, so there's a lot more to love in the project itself.

romhunter

The Bringer of Light
Years
I have one of HMDS. Maybe I can resize it? And for the beach, I want the beach cottage to be unlockable. Can you implement that? Unlockable things like house, seed or tools? And dog disk game too. It's good.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
I have one of HMDS. Maybe I can resize it? And for the beach, I want the beach cottage to be unlockable. Can you implement that? Unlockable things like house, seed or tools? And dog disk game too. It's good.
Whatever works I suppose. I would probably re-sprite it into SNES style though if I can get it to look right. As for extra locations and mini games, those will likely be the last things added if they are. Many of them are too game-specific, especially the festivals. However, the horse race will definitely be included (at least a generic one that people can customize for their game). The other stuff will be extras that may be implemented after all is finished.

As for functionality, I'm re-working how items behave a bit, and have hit a crossroads: should the item system emulate HM 64, HM FoMT, or HM DS? Both in terms of layout and item arrangement. In the first two, items and tools are separated (so empty item slots can't be used for items, and vice versa). In HM DS (and most newer HMs) tools and items share the same bag space, but you still have tools and items in different hand slots. So you can carry one item + one tool and the rucksack holds both items and tools at the same time in the same slots. I'm leaning more towards the last one, but wanted some input on this (and a great many other things, noted in the first post).

romhunter

The Bringer of Light
Years
The HMDS style is a bit suck. And personally I prefer HM64& FoMT style. But other may like ds style. I think you should make it HM FoMT (I assume it's easier) and make one for HMDS but disabled it in the code. So people got many thing to choose from, right? After all, this is a tool kit :P

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
The HMDS style is a bit suck. And personally I prefer HM64& FoMT style. But other may like ds style. I think you should make it HM FoMT (I assume it's easier) and make one for HMDS but disabled it in the code. So people got many thing to choose from, right? After all, this is a tool kit :P
Just to be clear, I was not referring to the graphics. The graphics will be in SNES style (or something comparable). I was referring to the way items actually work, where you have your rucksack with 15 slots, 5 of which are available from the start. You would be able to hold both items and tools together, instead of separately. So with 5 slots, you can have any combination of tools and items, instead of only half tools and half items. The actual menu appearance won't look like HM DS or HM FoMT, it would just be the behavior of the menu. Perhaps I should work on it a bit so you can see what I'm talking about. Besides that, specific graphical styles will be up to the user when this is finished. This is merely a functionality suite that users can put there own characters and graphics into, along with their own story, dialogue, events, etc.

romhunter

The Bringer of Light
Years
I do mean that it should work like HM-FoMT. It has seperate items and tools slot. It's better to manage stuff and it's really nice. Don't have to search across thousands of stuff before get what you want

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
I do mean that it should work like HM-FoMT. It has seperate items and tools slot. It's better to manage stuff and it's really nice. Don't have to search across thousands of stuff before get what you want
Ok, gotcha. I may make both eventually and make it selectable from the settings, to please a variety of fancies. Thanks for the suggestion.

romhunter

The Bringer of Light
Years
Ok. Thanks. And Power Berries, can you make that? Almost every HM game that I play have that. And maker too. Cheese, yarn, canned and stuff like that?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Ok. Thanks. And Power Berries, can you make that? Almost every HM game that I play have that. And maker too. Cheese, yarn, canned and stuff like that?
Power berries have already been implemented, and just need an animation to indicate when they are found. You can dig around the farm, the mine (I think), and fish for one if I remember right. As for the makers, those are very simple and will be on the way eventually.

Years
It'd be nice to see the affection heart implemented eventually :/ I haven't had time to do much either, anything I can rip for you?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
@romhunter: feel free to "join" the project. There's not really a team, so all contributions will be credited to individuals. It's a completely open source kit, so anyone is free to add things from the Harvest Moon series to it.

@Billy--: I would also like to see that implemented at some point. I've been stuck more on core systems work at the moment instead of the visual stuff, but it should be there eventually. Once the mechanics are in good order, the frills will be the next priority (which should finish things off for the most part).

Years
I can't believ I JUST NOW found this, I'm a big big fan of harvest moon and I've wanted to make games like them for so long! I'm learning java and C++ to try and get a wrap on scripting and now I won't have to learn how to do ALL of this :] thank you so much! if I make any break through (which I doubt) I'll contribute. Keep this project going and alive! Lemme know what I can do to help!

Years
Hey I just noticed the game will crash if you try picking turnips (probably any crops up) as well as a few other things. I did manage to get a derpy watering can refill to work after finding you had a plan to implement it in the script.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Hey I just noticed the game will crash if you try picking turnips (probably any crops up) as well as a few other things. I did manage to get a derpy watering can refill to work after finding you had a plan to implement it in the script.
I only occasionally find the time and motivation to work on this project, but I do pop in once in a while and make a little progress. There are actually a number of bugs that have been introduced with the latest release, since I was right in the midst of transitioning several of the major systems into new and more efficient logic. Most of the fixes aren't too difficult if you are familiar with the ins and outs of this project, but I will hopefully manage to get around to it and make it a little more complete. Thanks for the interest in the project. Glad to see that there are still those who enjoy it.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Version 2.1 has been released. The download link in the first post has been updated.

Here's a quick overview of what's been done:

Code:
-it now snows instead of raining in winter
-debug_set_time added
-debug_set_season now recalculates weather
-weather effects now update outdoors too if you switch weather mid-day (for debug_set_season)
-tile changes are now instantly visible when revisiting a map, instead of taking a little less than a second to load (not a big difference, but more professional).
-text should no longer beep repeatedly when a choice box is displaying
-when a message box is followed by two choice boxes in a row, a blank text box no longer displays for the second one.
-some extra error messages added
-added more comments to code
-removed debug toolbox that gave the player items
-added fisherman event to get fishing pole
-player now starts with some tools in their toolbox (like in the official games. can be customized in Settings)
-season-changing signs removed from mountain
-player can now interface with the toolbox in their house to grab and store tools (only holds 8 tools for now)
-additional tools can be bought in the shops (including seasonal seeds)
-you can now check if the player is indoors or outdoors with $game_player.outdoors?
-time now stops when indoors (can be disabled in settings)
-time can now be stopped at will any time for an indefinite period (without pausing the game) with $time.frozen=true (use false to unfreeze time). may be useful for events, cutscenes, festivals, etc.
-number of floors in mine can now be specified in settings
-you can now obtain appropriate items when breaking rocks in the mine
-digging up coins in the mine adds the money to your wallet instead of giving you a coin bag
-the custom message system now supports displaying variables with \v[n], gold with \g in messages and player name
 with \pn.
-fixed Input Number event command for the custom message system
-custom message system is now more abstract, to make applications more versatile
-tile manipulation has been simplified, to make tool code shorter and more readable.
-tiles on foreign maps can be manipulated at will (but the player must have visited the map at least once).
-custom choice box code has been added (only used by Title screen at present)
-NPC affection has been updated, and colored hearts now appear when speaking to available bachelors/bachelorettes
-colored hearts that appear when spreaking to bachelors/bachelorettes can be disabled in settings
-added Mayonnaise Maker, Yarn Maker, and Cheese Maker, as well as Mayonnaise, Yarn, and Cheese as items. The makers
 are activated with conditional switches for convenience.
-rucksack has been split into separate sections for tools and items. They can be accessed with $game_player.rucksack["items"] and $game_player.rucksack["tools"] respectively.
-added item descriptions (used in the new rucksack menu)
-changed $time to $world and class Time_and_Date to class World, because $time.weather made no sense.
-re-wrote tool code
-tools now use up some stamina
-watering can is now refillable when facing the watering hole and pressing the "Cancel / Use Tool" button
-cutting lumber with the axe now awards lumber (1 per stick, 6 per stump)
-can now display lumber count with \lumber in messages (used in the sign next to the lumber box)
-stumps can now be placed in the mountain as events and will automatically respawn daily
-chicken feed can now be retrieved from a feed box in the chicken coop like fodder from the barn

This update was about 50% complete several months ago, but was promptly delayed after I started working full time. I got a little bit of motivation to revisit this, so I tied things up a bit worked through the to do list a bit further. The more I fixed or added, the larger the to do list grew, so I figured now was as good a time as any to post an update.

As always, let me know if you find any bugs or errors. There are bound to be some new ones after so many internal changes. I'll try to keep this alive as much as motivation allows, and add more features as I go. There's just a few major features left, such as marriage, building upgrades (the house most importantly), and horse riding, before a complete game can be made with this. After that is a never-ending list of little things to work on.

Enjoy!

Back