• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Walking With Pokémon

kosuke

Extraterrestrial DNA
Years
I love this feature. I love talking to my Pokemon every now and then. It even minimized the usage of my bike. haha

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Because of that feature, I NEVER used my bike on HG/SS xD
Having this feature brought back sweet childhood memories since Yellow was my very first game ever ^^
I LOVED interacting with my Pokémon and I'd often bring each of them to the front of my team in various situations just to see how DIFFERENT Pokémon react to THE SAME situation.
A really sweet thing is if you visit your mom with a team of 6 and stand next to her then interact with your Pokémon. I noticed that some of them greet your mom, while others show concern for her. And I totally loved how my Pokémon would glance at Team Rocket Members or would be all psyched and ready to take the bad guys down.
Oh and whenever they happened to find shiny leaves and whenever I'd have them walk through puddles. And I LOVED how my Flareon would hate being near water in Olivine City while wahtever water type I had would splash around and play. And I completely adored my Pokémon when they'd start rolling around grass or when they'd trip or wel, in every situation. That's why I didn't mind Ethan much in HG/SS either because I loved him calling to tell me about his Marill doing stuff.
Oh and another sweet thing, whenever you talk to people about your Pokémon, some of them get shy xD Like my Chikorita whenever I'd talk to that girl by the exit of New Bark Town ^^
I really wish they bring that feature back, but make it optional so both those that love it and those that hate it can enjoy the game. Like, in their menu there should be a "Call out" option or whatever.

Years
Oh, I loved the fact that Pokémon were able to walk behind you in HGSS.. that's what sets these two games apart from the rest of them if you ask me! :)

While they didn't help out much in terms of overall features outside of battle, I really thought it was just cool to see how you could have the top Pokémon in your party outside of its ball and have it follow you. I was somewhat sad to see that this feature was removed in Black/White, though...

Also, it was neat to talk to the Pokémon to see how they were doing, and every now and then if you talked to it, it could possibly have found an accessory for dressing it up.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
I loved it. HeartGold isn't one of my favorite games, but it definitely stands out to be as one of the most unique.

I loved having a buizel follow me, it felt like having an epic dog :D Unfortunately some Pokemon felt way to small, for example my Torterra from Platinum :(

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
It made me feel better during the gameplay.
It anchored me into the details, it made me feel throughout the game. One of the reasons the game didn't get monotonous.

I'm not that concerned about the feature not being there, though. It just made HGSS more unique, like Yellow. So in a way it's good.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Definitely one of the best features, and one of the main reasons HeartGold / SoulSilver are possibly my favourite pokémon games. I particularly love how with your starter you get more of a view of the evolution - backsprites are all similar sizes, but when they're following you you clearly see the growth from say...Totodile to Croconaw to Feraligatr.

Orifiel

Priestess
Years
HG/SS is the only Pokemon game with that feature.
Too bad they didn't add it on Pokemon BW(2) I buy many
max repels that I needed, I'm too lazy to use the bike.
I think it's better to walk with my buddies.

Calem

Water Pokemon Master
Years
This is the most favorite thing i like in Pokemon HG/SS and Yellow. Every time i talk to my Totodile, it make me happy and feeling better after losing in battle. For some reason im still not sure why they remove it from the game in the latest generations. I mean seriously, who wouldn't want their pokemon to walk and enjoy the adventure together. ;)

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
As a lot of people here think, I really like the feature. It was one of the things that made Yellow unique and more different from Red/Blue and I was really happy to see it return in HG/SS. What I also like about it is how cute some sprites are and also how much more interesting it makes the game. Final word, the dialogue is just hilarious sometimes.

PhoenixWright77

Pokémaster Attorney
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2015
I think walking with Pokemon was one of the awesome things about this game and I was very sad when they did not bring the feature to the next generation. It really did add more atmosphere to the game and I always found it hilarious when I walked around with a huge legendary Pokemon following me but no one really seemed to notice or care.{XD}

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I think walking with Pokemon was one of the awesome things about this game and I was very sad when they did not bring the feature to the next generation.

I wasn't. I like how its an exclusive something for HeartGold / SoulSilver. if they ever do re-makes of Hoenn or Sinnoh, then yeah they can bring it back, but not for new games. It's like the snapshots when you enter places first introduced in FrLg. But way, way cooler.

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
Years
I say they should bring back the "walking with Pokémon" feature. As all Pokémon games from X and Y onward are likely going to be in full 3D, it'd be nice to walk with your favorite team member again IN 3D.

Only instead of just useless dressing-up props, I think that the Pokémon walking with you should have a chance of picking up useful items too.

lemonhihi

S1lv3rRay
Years
I remember someone saying that the reason they did not implement this feature in B/W/B2/W2 is because of the game size.

There are total of 649+ pokemon in the new gen and including shiny sprite, it will be around 1300 sprites and each sprite have 4 sides (front/back/left/right) + (male/female) = the game does not have enough space for this feature.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I absolutely loved this feature. It was cute to have my Pokémon following me around, and it gave me a great way to develop friendship between them. Just like most of you, I was sad to see it gone. We already know this feature won't be making a return in X and Y, but I still hope that they bring it back in some of their future Pokémon titles.

JorgeAamelo

Reality Bender
Years
I absolutely loved it when I got to experiment this feature as soon as I started SoulSilver as my first game was Pokémon Yellow, walking with Pokémon was just a small thing with Pikachu back then, but being able to interact with all the Pokémon in SoulSilver really seemed like the player had some connection to the Pokémon they were walking, as a true bond of friendship.

It's a strange feeling, but sometimes I felt like I examined my Pokémon just to know if they were happy being walked.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
Nonono! Please stop following me, I'd rather travel alone or have a human companion like Buck and Cheryl etc...:(
And I feel sorry for the likes of Magikarp, Goldeen 'swimming' behind you when there's no water for them. ;-;

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen today
It was one of the reasons for why I didn't get Pokémon Yellow back then, and it's the reason for why I didn't get this game now. Stupid and not optional feature.

Xaldin

Big things come in Nice packages.
Years
This feature is one of the reasons why I got 3 or so challenges in stored for SS. I liked this feature,and it was special to me because I didn't have Pokemon Yellow. watching eevee walk around with me was Kawaii....I mean cute :p.

Kokonoé1

Demon Overlord Top
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 27, 2019
Random, but amazing feature. It was nice to see the feature from Pokemon Yellow more realized. I wish it would return.

Back