• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Man of Steel (2013)

Years

Anyone else as pumped as me for the long awaited reboot of Superman directed by Zach Snyder? The new full trailer for the Man of Steel is attached to the screenings of The Hobbit, and the film hits theaters in the U.S. on June 14th, 2013. The film stars Henry Cavill (The Tudors) as Superman with Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Kevin Costner & Diane Lane as Mr. & Mrs. Kent, and Russell Crowe as Jor-El.

It's Zack Snyder, CHRISTOPHER NOLAN AND DAVID GOYER, and it's Superman. What's not to like. Judging from the Comic-Con trailer and the teasers, this one's going to be big for DC and Warner Bros.

New Poster:
Spoiler:

Discuss the Man of Steel!

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I know Nolan is involved to some degree, but still... I find the Superman mythos to boring as hell. Not really looking forward to it.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
The new poster isn't showing up on my end and when I try to open a new tab it just says referral denied.

Anyway I don't really know if I should be excited or not. I was hoping for Brainiac as the villain of this film but instead we're getting Zod again. No offence to any Zod fans but he's not exactly at the top of my list for Superman villains, Zod just seems like leftover mess that the Kryptonians didn't clean up before their death.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Although I'm like in no way familiar with Superman, I have been seeing a lot of superhero movies lately, so I'm probably gonna get pumped up for this one too! And Kevin Costner is always an interesting choice haha.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I love DC. I'm really looking forward to this movie and the Justice League also. But I'm not too fond of them ALREADY making a reboot of Batman so that it would fit into the Justice League storyline @_@

Years
I love DC. I'm really looking forward to this movie and the Justice League also. But I'm not too fond of them ALREADY making a reboot of Batman so that it would fit into the Justice League storyline @_@

Joseph Gordon-Levitt 4 Batman 2015

Growing up I had two superheros, Superman & Batman. Team DC forever, haha. I just hope they don't screw up when it comes to Justice League.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Like Wings Don't Cry, I was expecting Brainiac to be our villain (so they could save Luthor for the second film like they did with Joker in the Dark Knight). Judging by the new poster, it seems like part of the plot is that Superman will eventually become the hero everyone loves near the end once he defeats Zod, but he's currently seen as an alien terrorist.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Online now
I would have preferred Braniac over Zod, but Zod can still be an effective villain for the movie in his own right. Expect a long rant about his dastardly plan and then a few epic punch ups between Superman and Zod, both inflicting equal amount of damage to each other due to them both being Kryptonians! I wouldn't be surprised to see an appearance from Zod's son, who betrayed him in the comics and locked him up in the Phantom Zone.

To be honest, you know what I'd really like? A nice cameo appearance from Bizarro Superman. He could never be considered a real villain in the movies, unless he was part of a plotline in which the real master behind the plot was using him as a scapegoat for his crimes (something Lex Luthor would do, but we've moved on from Lex, lol) or something along the lines of that. I'd also be open to Doomsday dropping in, too, though he'd by far be considered the villain of the plot.

But really, I'm not that excited about this. Superman is boring.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I really don't like that they're copying Marvel by beginning their own Avengers-style franchise, but I guess imitation is the best form of flattery!

As for this movie, I was shocked at how much I liked it. I hate the Superman mythos as well, it's just boring to me. When I heard they were making another Superman movie I groaned internally, only to see a library full of people turn in their chairs and realise I wasn't groaning internally. Then I saw the trailer at the movies and I was shocked at how much I liked it. I didn't want to like it, but I did. I actually can't wait to see how this goes!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I really don't like that they're copying Marvel by beginning their own Avengers-style franchise, but I guess imitation is the best form of flattery!
It was always their intention. But between development hell, movies that didn't perform as expected, and Nolan's Batman which didn't mesh with the overall DC world, they couldn't really get the ball rolling.

Aside from Supes, I think they're going to be introducing the characters through the JL movie instead of individual movies. That they're speeding it up like that is a direct reaction to The Avengers success. But a JL was always the intention probably.

Years
But really, I'm not that excited about this. Superman is boring.

To be fair though, D.C. not only predates Marvel, but the Justice League Movie, as well as the next wave of D.C. movies, has been in the works far longer that it was supposed to. Going on 7-8 years now. They got screwed over by the writers strike a few years back and from some logistical errors by the studios.

I know Nolan is involved to some degree, but still... I find the Superman mythos to boring as hell. Not really looking forward to it.

:|

Hopefully the new trailer should rectify this!

The way I see it, people think Superman boring because we've always had the campy, G-Rated, idealized version of Superman portrayed in films. Similar to how the Batman franchise used to be. Throw in several bad films, and the franchise suffers for awhile. And we all know how well Mr. Nolan rectified Batman's kiddie and soft persona, so expect the same thing here.

And wow, that trailer. Nolan did it again.

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2013
Doesn't look nearly as good as Iron Man 3. I've been turned off Superman movies since Christopher Reeves; I hope this isn't supposed to lead into a JL movie.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The way I see it, people think Superman boring because we've always had the campy, G-Rated, idealized version of Superman portrayed in films. Similar to how the Batman franchise used to be. Throw in several bad films, and the franchise suffers for awhile. And we all know how well Mr. Nolan rectified Batman's kiddie and soft persona, so expect the same thing here.

And wow, that trailer. Nolan did it again.

I thought people find Superman boring because of his invulernability/God Mode Sue status (as long as Kryptonite isn't involved), thus making him unrelatable to other people compared to the likes of Batman, Spider-Man, and Iron Man. They've tried making him more relatable by giving him a child in Superman Return, but that didn't turn out well. I also don't think it's because of the campy/kiddy persona either. A lot of people didn't like how the old Hulk movie was too dark and depressing, as well as the new Spider-Man movie for trying to adopt the dark and edgy atmosphere of Nolan's Batman movies.

Years
I thought people find Superman boring because of his invulernability/God Mode Sue status (as long as Kryptonite isn't involved), thus making him unrelatable to other people compared to the likes of Batman, Spider-Man, and Iron Man. They've tried making him more relatable by giving him a child in Superman Return, but that didn't turn out well. I also don't think it's because of the campy/kiddy persona either. A lot of people didn't like how the old Hulk movie was too dark and depressing, as well as the new Spider-Man movie for trying to adopt the dark and edgy atmosphere of Nolan's Batman movies.

But that's a cornerstone of the character, that's what Superman is. He's an alien with unrivaled strength, power and moral fiber. People forget that Superman is one of the oldest, most well known, and most revered comic book characters ever, and is a pop culture icon ahead of pretty much every other comic book hero, even ahead of characters like Batman and Spiderman.

thus making him unrelatable to other people compared to the likes of Batman, Spider-Man, and Iron Man.

The Snyder/Nolan film should rectify this part. The point of Superman originally, (before those horrible follow-up movies to the original) was that even though he was an alien and not human, he still had human failings and flaws. And from what's been seen so far, that's the theme that Man of Steel has taken.

Triston1zn

GYM LEADER
Years
HOLY **** ON A SHINGLE.....just watched the new Man of Steel Trailor....
In my opinion the best comic book movie trailor of all time....even beating the Dark knight rises...

Ok I get it....superman was originally created during times of depression and war....when all people needed was a positive message and a happy ending. The superman of that age spoke to the needs and experiences of a different generation of people who needed one thing...HOPE.

However, times do change and once the war had ended and the great depression was behind them, every writer to interpret and re-interpret the superman character always seemed to have the need to conform him to the "needs" of the past....hence we had a generation of rebels who were stuck with a "goody two shoes" superman. It was natural that superman became "boring" and "mundane" and all those cool words that make you seem like you have a doctorate in the English language.

HOWEVER

That doesn't have to be the end-all-be-all of the most famous superhero of all time.
Smallville was the beginning step in a journey to making superman relevant to today's audiences and I feel that the upcoming movie "man of steel" will complete that journey and give us our first look at this generation's superman.

If you take a look at my sig pic, you will see one interpretation of "today's superman".....he has the modern look and just seems like he is done shaking hands and kissing babies, even though he isn't done being the saviour of the masses!

Some people might feel that the "original" superman should remain and not be tampered with,but these same people rally behind Chris Nolan's Dark knight without realising that the original Batman created by Bob kane was anything but dark (watch the 1960 Batman movie), and that only through interpretation and re-interpretation of the character, was our beloved, hardcore, badass, Batman born!

So, before you jump on the "boring character" bandwagon, just because Supes isn't human, try to understand that we can relate to superman just as much as Batman if you see them as symbols and not literal figures...

batman resembles the journey of loss and coping with loss and turning your anger into strength....whilst superman deals with being an outcast and being made to feel like you're a monster just because you're different...also superman speaks to every person out there who struggles to find their place in life and who constantly feels like...well...an alien.

From the little I saw in the trailor, it looks like alot of work has gone into exploring superman's mindset and how he deals with being different and being rejected because you're different.....Superman is someone I can relate to personally, being an orphan and being treated like a freak just because I was different...people always assumed the worst in me because I didn't have any parents so I "didn't know any better"....and that stuck with me my entire life.....so I speak from experience when i say that, we all can relate to the Superman character in our own way, we just need to forget about the super for a minute and look at the man himself...

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Superman is a pretty unique superhero.

While most superhero we know gains their power by some strange events, Superman was born with it. It's a good change from the general superhero persona since most superhero are regular living being that puts a mask to hide their true identity while fighting crime. But Superman, he hides his true identity while interacting with humans and show his true self when fighting vilains.

I'm a huge comic book geek myself so knowing the comic books I gotta say that while the comics books of Superman aren't the greatest ones out there, the story of Superman himself is probably one of the greatest ones out there.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
The Snyder/Nolan film should rectify this part. The point of Superman originally, (before those horrible follow-up movies to the original) was that even though he was an alien and not human, he still had human failings and flaws. And from what's been seen so far, that's the theme that Man of Steel has taken.

I really hope this movie is able to accurately portray that aspect of his character. I'm not a fan of Nolan's movies, I thought Batman Begins was just okay and I don't like the other two and...it's a little disheartening to see this film sticking so close to that style, but as long as it keeps some of that optimistic Superman style, I think it'll be a decent movie. You can make a good Superman film without needing to be essentially Nolan's Superman. Superman doesn't and shouldn't need to be a copy of the recent Batman movies, but he does need to be moved away from the movies that are already out there about him. Heck, you can make a good Superman story about Superman's moral fiber and still portray it in a believable manner with merit to what he believes. Just look at the What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way? storyline from the comics. With that story we got an unapologetic look at what Superman is and why he believes the things he does - and I think that's the key to making a good Superman film, having the audience understand him. I think that's the key difference between the Superman and Batman movies. The Batman movies moved with the times and took aspects from the different, recent stories and used those to craft a fairly modern view of the character.

The modern Superman mythos has a ton of great stuff you can pull from, but the popular mindset is still stuck on the Golden Age view of Superman and, unlike other characters, has been so unwilling to move beyond that. There are a ton of modern Superman stories to pull from. War of the Supermen, Death of Superman, and one that I especially think would make for a great movie, Grounded.

Giving Superman depth isn't a new thing, he's not been this unbeatable god-like character in the longest time. I guess people just haven't made the effort to search those stories out in comic form.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Online now
To be fair though, D.C. not only predates Marvel, but the Justice League Movie, as well as the next wave of D.C. movies, has been in the works far longer that it was supposed to. Going on 7-8 years now. They got screwed over by the writers strike a few years back and from some logistical errors by the studios.
I'm not just meaning the movies, I'm also talking about the roots of Superman: the comic books. As you should well know, I'm an avid fan of comics, D.C in particular, and Superman and his stories have just never interested me. I think it's a long standing personal distaste of the Man in Tights that's stopping me from getting excited about this movie, though, as you say in the next paragraph, the failures/campyness of the other Superman movies is a factor in why I'm not excited for this movie as well.
:|

Hopefully the new trailer should rectify this!

There are many dark episodes in Superman's history to explore and consequently exploit, so I hope Nolan is able to get the dark side of Superman just right.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Burton's first Bat flick was fine. The Animated Series was probably the truest representation of the comics until the Arkham games. Nolan rescued the film franchise (and I thank him for that), but already throughout the '90s Batman was increasingly seen as darker and less campy.

But, with Superman I never got that impression. Even with the animated series from the same team as the Batman show. It was still lighter and nicer. And when it tried to be serious, it felt weird.

Back