• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: [GENERAL THREAD] Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver Hacking

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I don't have much knowledge in DS hacking, but recently I found out that you can't edit the Johto Dex in HG/SS yet. The file that resembles the PokeDex is at a/0/7/4, the 12th file in the narc. However, I tried editing that to the Sinnoh Dex, and nothing happened. Then with a hex editor, I found what appears to be a second listing for the dex, which is at 0x64D2180. I changed that to the Sinnoh Dex, and this time I actually got different results, but it wasn't ideal:
26302074.png
31511606.png
27235856.png

For some reason, only Pokemon that were originally in the Johto Dex still appear, and some graphics won't load O_o.

Earlier, I did the same thing on Platinum, but in reverse: Replace the Sinnoh Dex with the Johto Dex:
72577899.png
59418491.png
84049029.png

I got much better results, as Pokemon actually showed up in the correct order. Not sure how to fix the numbers though.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Pokemon_RASM_new_screen_part2_by_Rbz_project.png

THIS IS NOT A ROM HACK
Its a RPG game :D

And i dont think i see many hacks of HGSS
Only Hardgold
which isnt much

universalconsole

Trainer And Trainee
Years
"The reason hgss gym editor is dead is because it didnt work the way it was sopose to and was for japanese roms"

Thats what I read
I wish I had one of those programs

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2012
Unfortunately, using PPRE for anything that's not wild pokemon or script editing corrupts certain trainer text- especially in double-battles.

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2012
Well hey, so it has. To tell you the truth, I never noticed the "b" part added on to the latest version to signify an update, haha.

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
I have tried to use Kiwi.ds NDS Editor but when I open a ROM/.narc/.sdat it says "Could not open file. Unsupported file format". How can I solve this? I need to extract some files from HGSS...

Also, I can't find the in-battle HP bars from HGSS. I have searched in every .narc and it doesn't appear...

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2011
What I need to know is how to do the following:

Edit mugshots
Edit trainer sprites
Edit the trainer's backsprite (all 3 frames)

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2014
Is it possible to do the following edits in HG/SS (or Platinum)?

- Trainer Edits
- Pokemon Edits (eg levels to learn moves, evolution methods)
- Wild Pokemon Edits
- Editing Moves (name, power, type, effect etc.)
- Replacing Pokemon (I want to put some 5th gen pokemon in)
- In game trade edits
- Pokemon giveaway edits (eg have steven give you a Jirachi instead of a Hoenn starter)

NatureKeeper

Is it possible to do the following edits in HG/SS (or Platinum)?

- Trainer Edits
- Pokemon Edits (eg levels to learn moves, evolution methods)
- Wild Pokemon Edits
- Editing Moves (name, power, type, effect etc.)
- Replacing Pokemon (I want to put some 5th gen pokemon in)
- In game trade edits
- Pokemon giveaway edits (eg have steven give you a Jirachi instead of a Hoenn starter)

1- Yes
2- Yes
3- Yes
4- Yes, but rather glitchy. Just do not edit the description and flavor text from PPRE, edit them using another tool. Trust me.
5- Yes.
6- Data not found.
7- Yes.

For my question, did anybody manage to find the Lugia \ Ho-Oh texture on the titlescreen? It'd be good to edit, or else everybody has an obligatory mascot. Not much really.

Alex_32571

HG/SS Scripter
Years
Can someone explain how setting, removing and checking flags works?
I want to make a script where a Murkrow is a wild encounter, then after he is beaten he disappears.
Without flags he will just repeat the battle over and over.

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2011
Can someone explain how setting, removing and checking flags works?
I want to make a script where a Murkrow is a wild encounter, then after he is beaten he disappears.
Without flags he will just repeat the battle over and over.
Well try out flags like 900, 901, 902 and so on but they dont go much higher then that.
I have done this so it works! :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2013
I'm sorry to bother people here, but I was wondering if there is a tutorial or program out there to edit the battle sprites in HG/SS? I've seen people do it but haven't been able to track down anything of that sort, so I was curious if one existed. Sorry if this has been covered all ready and I missed it in this topic. Thank you very much!

Jean LaFlame

French chic ♪
Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2012
@Moonstruck Muse, well I think you can't. As far as I know there isn't any program that allows you to do that. I can be outdated [?] but that's all I know. I'm sure you can do it using an HEX Editor. How? I have no idea. I currently now what must you do, but not how. Sorry :(

Hi!
Well, I don't really know how to research HG/SS. I'm currently using PPRE and I found lots of scripts that I don't understand. Most of them are new Functions, like CheckPokemonLeague (I think it wasn't seen before, when I say 'before' I mean GBC/GBA hacking) or other ones.
I know how to hack GBA (not really well but some things) and RPG Maker. So I hope you can help me. Thank you very much.

jvpski3

Banned
Years
Last edited:

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
Years
Alright so been checking around the internt for awhile adn cant seem to find anything. Is there some sort of tool to change the starters of HG/SS, i have done it before on B/W and D/P with a program off the internet but I cant find anyhting for HG/SS, please help all I want to do is instead of getting cyndaquil I get houndour

Back