• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Did you get rid of your Pikachu in Yellow?

Did you get rid of it?

• Yes, I did!

Votes: 41 19.8%
  • No, I didn't.

Votes: 166 80.2%

• Total voters

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Nope never did. Whenever I played Yellow, I felt like Ash and so I thought it was wrong to ditch Pikachu and felt obligated to keep it with me the whole time.

Years
Nope, I kept Pikachu! It was pretty cool to me how he would follow me around and let me interact with him, plus sending him into battle without a Pokeball was awesome when I was 9. As often as he fainted I still found it worthwhile to keep him. <3;

Nusdogg

6IV Shiny Master
Years
I never get rid of my starters and Pikachu was included. The biggest part of Yellow Version was Pikachu's "follow me" feature too, which was another reason! It does kind of suck how you can't evolve it, but I never had a problem beating the game with it.

Exact same reason why I never got rid of mine. It's Yellow version after all.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
I always use my starter Pokemon no matter what so I never had an urge to get rid of Pikachu.

It never was the focal point of my team though, since I had the other starters and Mew on my team.

Years
  • Seen May 12, 2013
Kind of a two fold reasoning here:
1: I always keep my starters. ALWAYS.
2: It just seemed wrong in a game that had a main difference of letting you have Pikachu as a starter and follow you around to just get rid of him. Nope, I let him be a valuable asset to my team.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
No. If I didn't want Pikachu on my team I would have played Blue or Red instead. But I kept Pikachu on my team in the time I did play some Yellow. Considering picking it up again sometime and maybe actually finish the game.

Bounce

Blue eyes :3
Years
No matter how over-leveled it had to be to kill anything, I kept it just because it's the mascot of Pokemon Yellow.. it wouldn't really be Pokemon Yellow without the little guy following you everywhere.

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
Pikachu is great, but his defensive stats can be a burden. Annoying you can't evolve him, but it's understandable. I always use him though.

Ycia

Metal Generation.♥
Years
Hmm.. At that time I don't know Pokemon's stat difference lol.. So leaving my Pikachus behind is a nono. As for the topic's subject, my Sister and I traded Pikachu to Crystal? or Blue?.. I don't remember.. But After I got Pikachu back, it became angry >:o

Al3x

Pokémon Fan
Years
YellowTeam_zps014bdbda.jpg

Enough said. Pikachu is at the top. :)

Guest123_x1

On every playthrough of Yellow, I almost always kept Pikachu in my party, only depositing it a few times, to see how he would react. I liked the idea of Pikachu following me from behind in the overworld. After all, Yellow's storyline was loosely based off the anime, and what not. (I always named the playing character ASH and on my first (near-full) playthrough, spoiled Pikachu to the point where it got to level 65 by the time I faced the final gym.)

Ravenfreak

Raven rocks! :D
Years
Technically you can't get rid of it, if you try to release it into the wild the game won't allow you to do so. :P However I always have Pikachu in my party, it just looks strange not seeing Pikachu following Red around. :V

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I always keep my Pikachu when playing through Yellow Version. I feel weird if I box it. He comes in handy, so why deposit him?

Years
I always kept it until recently. I decided to deposit it and take Zapdos instead, I wouldn't do that again though because as many stated, it's just great if Pikachu follows you, and he's the starter after all. So if I decide to start the game new, I'll keep it again.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Despite it being my least favorite Pokemon, I didn't get rid of it. Maybe because I want something following me around, lol. I like being stalked wait what?!

But yeah, I kept it...I'm too nice. I should ditch it next time I play Yellow haha.

Years
  • Age 23
  • No.
  • Seen May 1, 2014
I never finished Yellow,
but I have to say I didn't. It wasn't really useless, in fact it was useful.
The more it leveled up, the more useful it can be.
I only played the game until Blaine, yet Pikachu was useful (except against brock.).

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
How could I get rid of it? The whole thing that made that game special was the fact that pikachu was there following you. If I got rid of it, I'd be ruining a cool game mechanic.

Years
I didn't get rid of it the first time I played, but then I attempted the Nuzlocke challenge and it died early on, shortly after that I game-over'ed.

vovillia

CEO & Owner of VoVillia Corp.
Years
I kept him, I like the unique feature of him follow you around and being able to interact with him too, I'm glad Game Freak brought that back for a few other Pokemon games :D

Back