• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Olive Green Version

Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2012
Pokemon Olive Green Version

Concept
The main focus of this hack is choice. Choice in a way where the ending will be the same for everyone (Maybe minor changes) but the quest will have many options. The best example is having a choice to battle a gym leader before or after a team rocket event, both choices have their benefits and downsides. However there will be more black and white choices as well, allowing this game to have a sort of "karma" system. As of now, this system has yet to be implemented.

Story
You're sitting in your cabin on your way home when suddenly the ship begins to shake! You exit to see what is going on, to find Professor Cypress telling you a tentacruel is attacking to ship. She gives you a pokemon and you're sent to the nearest town via bird pokemon to get help. Upon arriving, you meet a boy who tells you a league champion from many years ago is training in the mountain nearby. Lance agrees to take as many flying pokemon as he can to ferry the ship passengers to the city. After a talk with the professor and your mother, you set out on your pokemon journey along side your new friend. With in the forest nearby, you over hear two rocket grunts talking about the mind control device they've developed to make a tentacruel attack a passenger ship. Then also debate if it's powerful enough to control a legendary pokemon. Upon entering the town containing the first gym, the gym leader gives you an option to battle her before or after you handle the team rocket event. If you choose to battle her before, the battle is much easier, but the reward tm is lacking. If you wait until after dealing with the rockets, the battle is much more difficult, but the reward is all the more sweet. The safari owner gives team rocket their next step to finding the legendaries they seek, which are jirachi and celebi. Their plan is to either go back in time using celebi to stop Red from defeating team rocket all those years ago, or use jirachi to wish Red had never been born. While collecting the 8 badges, you travel across the region, attempting to stall team rocket when ever you see them, and eventually becoming the league champion, and keeping the past from being altered.

Pictures
Spoiler:

Credits
alistair
kyledove
the_english_kiwi
Calisprojects.com
Alucus_Of_Borg
WesleyFG
Notch
Nintendo
Shinylugia249
Disclaimer
I'm new to this and didn't make much of an effort to write down the names of the creators of the tiles. All the tiles were public, I know this for a fact, however I can not remember the names of everyone. If you see a tile that is yours or was created by someone you recognize, and they're not listed above, please send me a message and I will add you to the credits as soon as possible.

Download
No download link as of yet. Still ironing out some bugs before an first beta can be released.

Thank you! Keep an eye out, more information coming soon!

Updates

July 2nd, 2012
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
This looks like a pretty interesting hack! I quite like when a hack can combine new graphics with the older/default ones. I LOVE the tall-grass tiles, and I also love the screen that shows you picking one of three eggs. I'm just caught up in the screens, they're all so cool XD
One small thing on the graphics front:

0JkQl.png

In this screen, at first I thought it had a few tile errors, but it's just the shading of the tiles- I think you should consider adding a darker outline to the platforms and bridges so that they stand out more from the rock/ground tiles. :)

The story is very original and looks quite promising, in my opinion. In general it looks like you've made a great start on this hack, and I can't wait to see more! Keep up the great work! :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
This lookz AWESOME!!! The starters are great, the screenshots look promising & the plot is fantastic.

But like Giradialkia, mod of Emulation said, the planks & tree can have a darker outline. But the others are A-OK.

Good luck.

P.S: Mind if I made a userbar?

~Mid, BW2's Biggest Fan

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
I love this hack, it has a very good mix of tiles, the karma system sounds great, and I just love the storyline in general.
Where did you get the Dragonite statue? I love these types of statues of pokemon added in hacks, they look amazing.

Also, about how Team Rocket can get either Celebi or Jirachi, do the players choices come down to what legendary pokemon they get?

Keep up the good work! I'll be checking back on this hack later. :)

leachim_paloyz15

~ セールマイケル
Years
  • Seen Sep 20, 2016
I'm looking forward for the "Karma System."
I like your tiles, and your scripting looks good too. ^^

Good luck!

Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2012
This looks like a pretty interesting hack! I quite like when a hack can combine new graphics with the older/default ones. I LOVE the tall-grass tiles, and I also love the screen that shows you picking one of three eggs. I'm just caught up in the screens, they're all so cool XD
One small thing on the graphics front:

0JkQl.png

In this screen, at first I thought it had a few tile errors, but it's just the shading of the tiles- I think you should consider adding a darker outline to the platforms and bridges so that they stand out more from the rock/ground tiles. :)

The story is very original and looks quite promising, in my opinion. In general it looks like you've made a great start on this hack, and I can't wait to see more! Keep up the great work! :)

The platform and bridges pallet was something that got altered when i had to dedicate a colour from to pallet to something else. They looked way better before, trying to find a good look that has contrast in the outline is something I'm activlely trying to improve. I'll do my best to make it easier on the eyes =)
thanks for the comment!

This lookz AWESOME!!! The starters are great, the screenshots look promising & the plot is fantastic.

But like Giradialkia, mod of Emulation said, the planks & tree can have a darker outline. But the others are A-OK.

Good luck.

P.S: Mind if I made a userbar?

~Mid, BW2's Biggest Fan

ah yes, the tree. I'm not so happy with that one either, I'll likely replace that tile entirely when I find something that fit's a lot better.
Also, what's a userbar? I'm new around here =P
Thanks for the suggestions!

I love this hack, it has a very good mix of tiles, the karma system sounds great, and I just love the storyline in general.

Where did you get the Dragonite statue? I love these types of statues of pokemon added in hacks, they look amazing.

Also, about how Team Rocket can get either Celebi or Jirachi, do the players choices come down to what legendary pokemon they get?

Keep up the good work! I'll be checking back on this hack later. :)

The statue is something I made myself. I simply took the heart gold/ soul silver sprite, recoloured it to be grey, and attempted to draw in a stand of sorts. I'm quite happy with the appearance, and I can do it for any pokemon as well. I'm glad you like it! I'll litter some more around the hack, here and there where I see fit.

Also, as far as the celebi/ jirachi event. my plans are to have them capturing both at 2 locations, and the player picks to go save one. The other is captured, and the player will be tasked with rescuing him from their headquarters.

Thank you for commenting! I hope that clears some things up.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
This looks really promising, it's good to see that ROM hacking is not dying so rapidly as it may seems.
I guess I'll be repeating what gira said because the screenies are really awesome!
Keep this up and please us with some betas :D

DaEpicTrainer

One Pokemon to Rule Them All
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
I love the starters because of dratini and larvitar ^^.Also will you change the trainer sprites?Maybe something new like wesley did in pokemon light platinum?That would be great.I'm really bored to see RED,ETHAN & other trainers in original pokemon games.This will be an epic rom if you finish it tho.Also about that city (
0JkQl.png
) ; That road looks like it's made in paint or maybe it is.It would be better if you just make it normal ground.But anyways i love this hack and i'll be following your post.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
The platform and bridges pallet was something that got altered when i had to dedicate a colour from to pallet to something else. They looked way better before, trying to find a good look that has contrast in the outline is something I'm activlely trying to improve. I'll do my best to make it easier on the eyes =)

I hope you realize that there are palettes that change from tileset 2 to tileset 2, right? Palettes 7-12 (I think, it might be 9-12 or something. Don't quote me.) change depending on the tileset 2 you have chosen. Recreate your original bridge palette on palette 8 or 7 or 12 or whatever. You'll get the colors you wanted for the bridge without clogging up any other palettes. It's a handy thing to do to create more colorful scenes.

If any of my information is wrong, please speak up and tell me. You'll definitely want to back up your ROM before doing any of this, although it wouldn't screw up your game that much...

This is why there are usually palettes that are one or two colors, like a dark blue and black on some maps. These are palettes that were placed in the game but aren't actually used. All the better for editing, right?

EDIT: I almost forgot: Good luck with your hack. ;)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2012
I hope you realize that there are palettes that change from tileset 2 to tileset 2, right? Palettes 7-12 (I think, it might be 9-12 or something. Don't quote me.) change depending on the tileset 2 you have chosen. Recreate your original bridge palette on palette 8 or 7 or 12 or whatever. You'll get the colors you wanted for the bridge without clogging up any other palettes. It's a handy thing to do to create more colorful scenes.

If any of my information is wrong, please speak up and tell me. You'll definitely want to back up your ROM before doing any of this, although it wouldn't screw up your game that much...

This is why there are usually palettes that are one or two colors, like a dark blue and black on some maps. These are palettes that were placed in the game but aren't actually used. All the better for editing, right?

EDIT: I almost forgot: Good luck with your hack. ;)
Ah yes, I'm aware of this. Problem is I've dedicated some of those numbers to pallets I use throughout. For example, I have another darker green pallet other than 0 in the 8th spot for the tall grass, other trees, etc.
The pink roof has a pallet, and the body of the house takes up one.
There may be one left to dedicate to the platform, I'll give it a lookski.
I appreciate the suggestion! Things like this will make my game all the better =)

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
Ah yes, I'm aware of this. Problem is I've dedicated some of those numbers to pallets I use throughout. For example, I have another darker green pallet other than 0 in the 8th spot for the tall grass, other trees, etc.
The pink roof has a pallet, and the body of the house takes up one.
There may be one left to dedicate to the platform, I'll give it a lookski.
I appreciate the suggestion! Things like this will make my game all the better =)

I took a little peek at these palettes and:

a) The grass palette that you put in the 8th spot will only show up in the maps that you insert it in, since the 8th palette is a tileset 2 specific palette. This means you have to recreate the same palette every single map, in the 8th palette in order to avoid graphic problems. Time consuming, but not a huge problem.

b) Since you've used a palette for the pink roof, the body of the house, and the plants, that takes up three palettes. Since 7 and up (yes, I checked) are tileset 2 palettes, this means that you have 7-9 taken up. This leaves three more palettes (10-12) for you to use for anything in that map.

You should have room to create a new palette for the platforms. Also, I would work on combining as many palettes as possible into the first 6, it makes your life a lot easier. Just make sure you don't overwrite any animation colors.

Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2012
I took a little peek at these palettes and:

a) The grass palette that you put in the 8th spot will only show up in the maps that you insert it in, since the 8th palette is a tileset 2 specific palette. This means you have to recreate the same palette every single map, in the 8th palette in order to avoid graphic problems. Time consuming, but not a huge problem.

b) Since you've used a palette for the pink roof, the body of the house, and the plants, that takes up three palettes. Since 7 and up (yes, I checked) are tileset 2 palettes, this means that you have 7-9 taken up. This leaves three more palettes (10-12) for you to use for anything in that map.

You should have room to create a new palette for the platforms. Also, I would work on combining as many palettes as possible into the first 6, it makes your life a lot easier. Just make sure you don't overwrite any animation colors.

You can export a pallet, and import one. I've been doing this for my pallet 8. I have the game mapped up to 6 gyms. And scripted up to gym one. It should be possible for me to make the platform something else. Thanks!

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
You can export a pallet, and import one. I've been doing this for my pallet 8. I have the game mapped up to 6 gyms. And scripted up to gym one. It should be possible for me to make the platform something else. Thanks!

Wow, I totally forgot about that haha, and I've been using it for like a year. No problem dude, that's what I'm here for.

Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2015
The choice system sounds amazing, but will it affect further into the game like if I choose to fight the first gym leader later will the Pokemon found be changed? And if I get the better reward will that influence a different reward?

XXVIII

Romhacker Wannabe
Years
It is good to see that more and more new hacks is coming out these days. I love the way you map, so unique. I like the starting pokemons too. We'll be waiting for the first beta release. Good luck!

Years
  • Seen Sep 8, 2019
Wow, I am QUITE interested in how this turns out in the end. It also makes me wonder if this karma system alters more than the legendary Pokemon, gym battles, and Team Rocket events.

ChaosJester083

Still alive
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 3, 2019
God dammit man y u no tell me you make forum thread about this! Any ways the mapping looks great. Everything is coming along nicely and we will make the jungle happen some how!

Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2012
I added an update header where I will keep people updated. Everything from little screen shots of cool events, to making a few changes based on suggestions will appear there.
So be sure to check back often and give input!

Back