• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"I had no idea you watched that!"

Pleiades

I am the Dragonairborn!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 29, 2013
(I keep thinking of stuff to talk about after I post a thread....I must be extremely bored.)
Are there shows people are surprised a person like you watches?

People are surprised I watch:

Four Weddings
Who the (Bleep) Did I Marry?
Untold Stories of the E.R.
Deadly Women
Man V. Food
Auction Kings
Police Women of Maricopa County/Broward County/Dallas/Cinncinatti
Futurama (Which, granted, I only started watching this year)
Supernanny (I'm not allowed to scold kids at work...I guess this feeds a deep desire to show spoiled kids who's boss)

This is a great way for you to find other people who watch the things you watch. :)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I'm always surprised when people say they watch Community. Mainly because it's such a cult-y show in general, but mostly because it's very unforgiving to newcomers who wish to just jump in and watch a random episode; to get the full experience, you need to start from the beginning and watch every episode in order to get all of the in-jokes and references. Because of that, I don't really recommend it to people (even though it's amazing and you should totally watch it) so I'm always surprised whenever people say they do, as they'll probably have gone on a similar journey that I did all those years ago when it first started.

Lieutenant Unstable

Camelot Castaway
Years
I'm always surprised when people say they watch Community. Mainly because it's such a cult-y show in general, but mostly because it's very unforgiving to newcomers who wish to just jump in and watch a random episode; to get the full experience, you need to start from the beginning and watch every episode in order to get all of the in-jokes and references. Because of that, I don't really recommend it to people (even though it's amazing and you should totally watch it) so I'm always surprised whenever people say they do, as they'll probably have gone on a similar journey that I did all those years ago when it first started.

OH MY GOD.

This is so accurate. SO ACCURATE.

I've watched Community from the beginning and have honestly seen all the episodes an embarrassing amount of times. I've only managed to get one friend into it. It really is a shame that more people don't watch it, I honestly believe it's one of the most underrated shows on television :(

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
It always surprises me when people say they watch Bridezillas or My Fair Wedding because those are my guilty pleasures and it's so difficult starting an entire conversation about them without revealing just how much I've watched. The handful of people that I've met who watch as much as I do have conflicting views with me since they were watching for the happy ending and I was watching for the crappy beginning.

Also gotta jump on the Community wagon here. It's such an under-appreciated show. I started watching it after I read this just to see how it matches up against The Big Bang Theory in terms of nerd culture and I must say that I prefer Community much more.

jgalvan100

*****monally Challenged
Years
Everyone is always surprised when I tell them I watch 30 Rock. They always tell me that they've never heard of it. And that makes me sad. ;_;

Years
I'm from the United States, but I watch a fair amount of British Television. That being said, I get alot of vacant stares when I say I watch things like "Bits of Fry and Laurie", "The Mighty Boosh" or"Snuffbox". "How it's Made" is another great example, mostly because it bores alot of people to tears.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Everyone is always surprised when I tell them I watch 30 Rock. They always tell me that they've never heard of it. And that makes me sad. ;_;

Love that show omg. Alec Baldwin ♥

I'm always surprised when I find out my real life friends watch anime since it's just not something I hear people talk about other than online, but as for TV shows I always get a little shocked by Britain's Got Talent. I just find that show so poor, it's almost a joke. It's one of the rare cases where I honestly don't see any appeal in doing something, so when I hear that people watch it I'm always quite shocked. But I guess millions of people can't be wrong so maybe I'm just missing something haha.

Years
My friends were surprised that I watched My Little Pony and Adventure Time, but then I won them over so of course they are not surprised now.

I don't really watch much television outside of things that friends recommend so there's not much space for surprises. I do like to watch Top Gear though, which may surprise people here? I dunno. I don't care about cars at all, but I like the antics.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Anime in general. People sometimes are surprised about that, oh and Dr. Who!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Regular Show, 30 Rock, Big Bang Theory, The Office, and Conan are huge 'wtf's' from other people. I'm not sure why, especially since Regular Show is a genuinely funny show, despite it being a child's cartoon (and I say that loosely, as it has some suggestive themes at times). Big Bang Theory is immediately classed as a 'geek' show by my peers, which is a little odd, too, because it's not. Just another sitcom, really. The rest are alright, but not alot of other people I know watch any of them, so bah.

Toutebelle

Banned
Years
People are surprised when I tell them I watch Arthur. It might sound weird, but the show with the aardvark has a sizable periphery demographic. It's because the writing is pretty clever for a show geared towards young children (the target audience is younger than that of SpongeBob). Plus the parodies are really edgy - they have references to reality TV (complete with references to how it's all scripted) and various celebrities.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Until recently, no one has ever been really surprised by what I watch probably because they know I just watch a lot of television. However, I've gotten a few surprised reactions when I mentioned I watched The Walking Dead. They didn't peg me as the type to enjoy such a show.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Game of Thrones I can't even say it because it just has so much R rated unnecessary stuff in it which sucks but when it's not there the show is actually pretty good. I don't really get many wtfs for other shows just mostly "I tried that but didn't like/get/finish it" such as Lost (the greatest show to exist ever) & Once Upon a Time. I don't really watch anything else other than anime so that's all I would mention I guess.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
People are surprised that I watch Anime most likely and I'm shocked when I find out other people do. Also, Pretty Little Liars, Once Upon A Time, and Workaholics people have been surprised that I watch. Not sure why, apparently I don't seem like the type of person who would watch those kind of shows. I feel like I'm most shocked when people watch basically all the same shows that I do. Like not the mainstream shows that everyone watch, it's a great way to start and really connect with someone as well.

Back