• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: FireRed 649 Patch

Hack save routine for extra saveable space? Would break compatibility with flashcarts

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2018
Help! When i patch it using IPS.
The file has been patched, but the data in the IPS file appears to be truncated or misaligned.

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2021
yhAnz, try a different Firered rom?(I think there were 2 different US ones) Also, Jambo, I might be able to help. I was pretty good with ASM on the GBC, but I still got experience on the GBA. PM me if you're interested.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
This sounds stupid, but my browser isn't downloading the ips file. When I click the link, it takes me to a new tab with the file name as the address instead of downloading it. The page itself was complete gibberish. Even the save as option wanted to save it as a text file instead of an ips file. This is the first time something like this happened to me. Anyone else have this problem? Is it just my browser?

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Got it to download. ^_^
So which programs are compatible with this? Very few recognize it properly for obvious reasons.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Hey, so I looked into the hex data after 71A23C and I plan to go through everything and document all the routines, data, tables...

This is what I have so far:
Spoiler:

I'm not sure how far I'll get without getting stuck, but I'll see what's in this badboy

______
EDIT EDIT
Jambo, I'm not sure if this is a bug, but it probably is. So I used a TM on my starter, and the TM was used up, meaning it wasn't infinite.
When I looked at the routine for removing an item, it seemed that the routine was in a loop, never changing, never escaping, so yeah.

Last edited:

TweenyTodd

Quitting cuz i got a job
Years
First of all, I would like to thank Jambo for his effort and skill being put into this project.
Second of all, I would like to ask a question: Is it just me or does evolution not work?
I have a lv 16 Charmander and i was wondering if i had to edit something to get it to evolve.

TweenyTodd

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
EDIT EDIT
Jambo, I'm not sure if this is a bug, but it probably is. So I used a TM on my starter, and the TM was used up, meaning it wasn't infinite.
When I looked at the routine for removing an item, it seemed that the routine was in a loop, never changing, never escaping, so yeah.

I haven't done anything to the item removal code, if it loops it's because it normally loops. I never changed the TM system to gen 5's system, only added the new TMs.

First of all, I would like to thank Jambo for his effort and skill being put into this project.
Second of all, I would like to ask a question: Is it just me or does evolution not work?
I have a lv 16 Charmander and i was wondering if i had to edit something to get it to evolve.

TweenyTodd

Works for me...

Nyndyll

PD : O Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2014
I know I'm gonna sound plain stupid when I say this, but how exactly do I patch this? I use lunarips to patch and I get a message saying that the patch was successful, but I check a-map (I know the wild editor will only go so far - like 411 or something like that) but only see the the first 386. No more. No less. Is there something I am doing wrong?

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
I know I'm gonna sound plain stupid when I say this, but how exactly do I patch this? I use lunarips to patch and I get a message saying that the patch was successful, but I check a-map (I know the wild editor will only go so far - like 411 or something like that) but only see the the first 386. No more. No less. Is there something I am doing wrong?

No you aren't, at least, I'm not sure until you actually check in game. There's no extra pokemon in A-map because it doesn't support all th new pokemon. Just check to see if your Pokemon's name is lowercase, and you'll know that the patch worked.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Jambo, I noticed your poll at the top, and I was just wondering, that is the same hacked routine you had me apply to increase the bag size, correct? I thought that this routine was a new updated version by JPAN in order to fix compatibility with flashcarts? I really don't know since I don't have one for the GBA, wish I did:D but I can't find them anywhere. Anyways, just curious.

By the way, I cannot wait for this patch to be complete. I am deffinately going to use it as a base for a hack. Keep up the great work and thanks for helping me when I get stuck!

Nyndyll

Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2014
No you aren't, at least, I'm not sure until you actually check in game. There's no extra pokemon in A-map because it doesn't support all th new pokemon. Just check to see if your Pokemon's name is lowercase, and you'll know that the patch worked.

Thanks. Checking that now. And about editing wild pokemon... I know that I'd have to use the randomizer, but then I could essentially walk down route one and find a zekrom? So now, that's out of the question, leaving hex editing left. Would there be any other ways to edit the wild pokemons?

TweenyTodd

Quitting cuz i got a job
Years
Thanks. Checking that now. And about editing wild pokemon... I know that I'd have to use the randomizer, but then I could essentially walk down route one and find a zekrom? So now, that's out of the question, leaving hex editing left. Would there be any other ways to edit the wild pokemons?

First of all, Zecrom doesn't have a sprite. I think Jambo said the highest poke with a sprite is Duosion. Also, I don't know any randomizer that works with the patch. Only 2 things I know work are A-map and hex editing. I did use A-map to put starly in. If you need help, PM me and i'll try.

TweenyTodd
posted from DSi

Nyndyll

Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2014
First of all, Zecrom doesn't have a sprite. I think Jambo said the highest poke with a sprite is Duosion. Also, I don't know any randomizer that works with the patch. Only 2 things I know work are A-map and hex editing. I did use A-map to put starly in. If you need help, PM me and i'll try.

TweenyTodd
posted from DSi

It appears to have worked (all names in lower case), but when I go to a-map and try to add a pokemon I don't get passed deoxys. Not sinnoh or unova names.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Jambo51
Could you make a patch just for the directsound thing, so instead of five directsound have 12 like here
the directsound is a cool addition, but i cant use the whole thing for my hack, so i just want a patch specifically for that reason.
Thanks if you do it

TweenyTodd

Quitting cuz i got a job
Years
It appears to have worked (all names in lower case), but when I go to a-map and try to add a pokemon I don't get passed deoxys. Not sinnoh or unova names.

Which A-map are you using? 1.95 doesn't show the new pokes, only 1.92. Check your version.

EDIT: Only a few pokes show up. They are sinnoh pokes.

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
To all of you, read the bugs list which is IN THE FIRST POST. There's really no excuse for not reading the information I posted on the patch. It shows extreme disrespect for the effort, time and commitment I put into this and explaining it.

Known Bug List:
Spoiler:

That means that NO version of A-Map supports the new Pokémon. The ONLY way (right now) to manipulate the wild data to include new Pokémon is to hex edit. This isn't a problem with the patch, but with how A-Map has the upper limit for Pokémon hardcoded to be 411.

The only reason that Turtwig - Bastiodon show up in it is because I replaced the Unown remnants (indices 252 - 276). IE, the indices are less than 412, which is the upper limit.

Jambo51
Could you make a patch just for the directsound thing, so instead of five directsound have 12 like here
the directsound is a cool addition, but i cant use the whole thing for my hack, so i just want a patch specifically for that reason.
Thanks if you do it

No. I don't take requests, and I certainly don't endorse the lazy culture which permeates the ROM hacking scene nowadays. Every other hacker demands a patch instead of taking the time to teach themselves to ASM hack, or even how to insert ASM!

What I just said may or may not apply directly to you, but it's something about this community (and all hacking communities) that annoys me.
Granted, there's no information on extending the Direct Tracks, so I would have accepted a request for information, but I most certainly will NOT create a patch.

The only reason that this (the 649 Patch) is a patch is because the changes are too wide ranging to be applied separately.

ETA: FYI, I posted the information on how to do the direct track thing in the quick R&D thread.

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Wow thanks for telling me where it is i would have never guessed.
I wont bug you about it anymore, lesson learned.
just thats what big fans do i guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back