• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Third Gender

Moist

other in a month When you,
Years
I was thinking about the meaning of X & Y and I came up with this theory. What if the games are called X & Y because they will introduce the third gender?

------------------------------------------Warning: Science Below!-----------------------------------------------------

The Gender of human beings is determined by chromosomes. Females have an XX chromosome while males have an XY chromosome. Assuming that pokemon have the same system of determing the genders of pokemon this means pokemon classified as having no gender in previous games would have completely different chromosomes to gendered pokemon. This raises the question whether ungendered pokemon are actually pokemon with both XX and XY pair of chromosomes (Not going to put up the scientific term for it, look it up at your own expense) and not genderless as we originally thought. This means GameFreak could finally give us an actual gender for previously ungendered pokemon.

------------------------------------------Science stuff over
-----------------------------------------------------

While this is very, very unlikely, with all the crazy stuff GameFreak has been doing, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the actually reason that the games are named X & Y (Named after chromosomes, if you didn't pick that up). This could also mean that Yveltal will be Male only and Xerneas will be female only, which would actually be very interesting.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

digimonqueen

Draco Malfoy's Girlfriend
Years
that actually makes sense! wouldn't that make those 2 the ONLY other legends besides the Eons that have genders? from what i can recall, no other legends BESIDES Latios and Latias have a gender, correct?

Moist

Years
that actually makes sense! wouldn't that make those 2 the ONLY other legends besides the Eons that have genders? from what i can recall, no other legends BESIDES Latios and Latias have a gender, correct?

The only other two legendarys I can think of that have a gender are heatran (Male and Female) and Cresselia (Female). There's probably more, but that's all I can think of.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Please help me understand why X would be male only and Y female only. Especially considering females have two X chromosomes and males have an X and a Y. Meaning only males have a Y chromosome, yet you think the Y legendary will be female...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023

The only other two legendarys I can think of that have a gender are heatran (Male and Female) and Cresselia (Female). There's probably more, but that's all I can think of.

Cresselia is Female Only
Tornadus is Male Only
Thundurus is Male Only
Landorus is Male Only
Latias is Female Only
Latios is Male Only
Heatran can be Male or Female (50% Chance)

That should be all of them.

Don't really see the current legends having genders, but they can still add more when they add the trios.

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
A third gender? Well it surely would be really interesting to see a third gender introduced into Pokémon X and Pokémon, seeing as most people have been speculating about chromosomes, which are about XX and XY and vice versa.

It would also be interesting to see Xernias as Male only and Yveltal as Female only. But there has indeed been a Legendary Pokémon before that can indeed be male or female, which is none other than Heatran. Most other legendary Pokémon have a gender which is completely unknown. Though most people think that those legendary Pokémon are genderless, I guess I could say they are, but then again... it says in Pokédex 3D that it's "unknown", if I can remember correctly.

So I could say there might be a 50/50 chance of it happening, though I highly doubt a third gender would be introduced.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
I highly doubt this will happen, but if it does it will be interesting. I think it would rationalize why legendary Pokemon are "genderless" to those who don't understand (in reality it's just because they don't want you to breed legendaries.)
I came up with an idea in my mind (when I was a lot younger) that if there was a non-sexed Pokemon born, it became a legendary Pokemon. I hadn't really taken into consideration that there's a couple non-legendaries that had no gender, and at the time I don't think there were any legendaries with genders.

Years
  • Seen Sep 26, 2013
Well, for one, i dont think there will be anything dealing with chromosomes. Since when do pokemon games' names have to do with whats in them? I mean, sure, Dialga and Palkia both had a diamond and a pearl, respectively. But those were not a main part of the game. Red and Blue didnt have anything to do with them, rather, there is no color in those games. Pokemon Gold, Silver and Crystal only had their names to do with the legendaries. Sapphire and Ruby were only the names of requirements for trading between FR/LG and R/S/E. and Black (2) and White (2) were not in Monogrome. So at most X & Y will only have to do with the legendaries.

Now, if that were the case, i don't think they will introduce a new gender for no gender pokemon.
In our world we only have 3 (Yeah that's right. An embryo doesn't start developing gender-specific stuff until the main body has taken shape) genders. And if they were to introduce a new gender, i dont think it will have affect on the previous no gender pokemon, seeing as, well, they dont have a gender.

To come to a conclusion: Very highly doubt it.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Black (2) and White (2) were not in Monogrome.
They weren't, but they did metaphorically reference black and white in terms of two sides of an argument, and how the answer to questions like "Are humans bad for Pokemon?" isn't a definite "yes" or "no"- black or white, in other words- but somewhere in-between- that is, grey. You've heard phrases like "he thinks only in terms of black and white", right?

If XY continues with some of the advances BW started, mainly the deeper plot and the like, it's likely that the title will be meaningful somehow.

Moist

Years
Please help me understand why X would be male only and Y female only. Especially considering females have two X chromosomes and males have an X and a Y. Meaning only males have a Y chromosome, yet you think the Y legendary will be female...

Yeah, I fixed that now that I read it. But anyway, the end letter of the female Chromosome is X (The Female Chromosome is XX). Pokemon X has Xerneas as its main legendary. Therefor, Xerneas would only be available as a female. The end letter of the male chromosome is Y (The Male Chromosome is XY). Pokemon Y has Yveltal as its main legendary. Therefor, Yveltal would only be available as male.

Sorry for the confusion about Yveltal being female only.. :P

Clonehunter

Clones Be Wary
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2013
And here I was thinking it was just a reference to the general shape of the legendaries :P

I'd be somewhat surprised if it did go rather deep into a third gender actually, and would definitely add a layer to the story. I (as some others) doubt it somewhat, but reading again, well, I don't know. It'd be very interesting if it's something they actually touched up on.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
Meh. I wouldn't mind if this idea was implemented, I'd be fine with it, but I don't see any real motive for Gamefreak to do so. Sexless Pokemon, as they are, are fine with me.

I can see the Fox News headlines now: "New Pokemon Game Aims to Turn Your Kids Into Transgendered Freaks!"

Ugggh, don't remind me how stupid Fox News is.

Although, to be honest I don't think even Fox News is so immature as to make such an ignorant and inhumane headline like that.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
Very interesting, this is a good theory. I was thinking that X and Y were based most off of a graph because of the X and Y coordinates. But then, I thought why isn't there a Z, because Z is normally meant to be the third dimension and this will be the first "technical" 3rd. Pokemon game.

This is a good theory, and I could see this becoming true. It actually makes a lot of sense, nice thinking!

Back