• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Pokéradar Chaining

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
The Pokéradar was an item added in the Sinnoh region which allowed you to effectively work out which Pokémon was where in the grass you were standing in and then allowed you to encounter specific Pokémon as a result. It was complicated to use until you got the hang of it but by building up a chain of finding the same Pokémon several times in a row, it allowed you to catch shiny Pokémon at much higher chances! Which each Pokémon you 'chained', the chances of the next one being a shiny were increased. However if you went into the wrong patch even one time you broke your chain and had to start over again. It wasn't easy but sure took up a lot of hours!

Were you a fan of the Pokéradar? Have any tips & tricks for using it? Did you use it to capture many shiny Pokémon? Were you good at using it or could you not work it out at all? What's the highest streak you ever reached? What's the best Pokémon you've caught from it? Discuss! n.n

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Aah yes the handy Pokeradar. Although I'm one of the million or so people who doesn't have enough patience, the Pokeradar made me hunt for hours. Even though my chainkept breaking at 9 or 10, I'd still keep going.

And to this day I'm yet to see a glimpse of that shiny Pachirisu due to the fact I'm horrible at chaining xD.I think the best I've got out of it is an Adamant Beldum ._., so that's about it :P.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I sometimes used the PokeRadar, I wasn't the biggest fan of it, mainly because it had to be charged up with steps, and I usually didn't have the patience to run or cycle around everywhere. It was useful though in chaining, although I never really got the hang of it. I think my highest chain was 12 or 14, with a Geodude/Chatot. I'd love to catch a shiny in DPPt, but the chances are I won't if I don't start getting into the habit of using the PokeRadar. Who knows, I might even use it much more in my planned re-run through Sinnoh, than through my previous journies!

Years
I would always give an attempt to try and do some chaining with the Pokeradar, but once my chain broke, I had absolutely no patience to go back and try again.

I think my best chain was either in the high 20s or low 30s, and it was a tie between Ralts and Pichu. My record for nearly 2 months before that though was Girafarig, and that stood at 22.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
For me, the best was a Shiny Houndour. Strange, but true. (But it broke my chain, it wasn't the Pokemon I was looking for. Should've been a Rhyhorn.) My best chain's never reached 20 or more, I guess.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I've done chaining a couple of times in the hopes of finding a shiny, but I always get up to 30 and something happens. It's too time consuming.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I watched a few videos on how this thing is done and decided that I couldn't do it without getting extremely bored. I mean, it's just an alternatively-colored Pokemon, and I'm not sure what I would want. I just want to run into a shiny naturally as opposed to do busywork just for sparkles. If it's all for show, you can count me out.

oooDrakeooo

Golden Dragon
Years
I love this thing! Since I learned how to make long chains safely, I'm making longer chains than ever! Yesterday I caught a male Adamant shiny Ralts and a female Modest one too, so I'll have a Gallade and a Gardevoir. <3
Also I caught 2 shiny Budews, and I'll give one to my friend when he gets his DS. :D

My first shiny was a Nidoran M, I was so happy, I remember he appeared when I was 26 chained Pokés. :)

aquavi

scintillating starmie
Years
Dang Drake, that's some chaining skills! I am envious.

I remember I tried to chain a shiny sneasel for hours and hours one day and kept getting screwed up between the 20th-30th chain. I might as well have been trying to encounter one normally/hatching ones for all the time I wasted trying to get one. Ah well, I'll try again someday!

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I've chained a few times before for shinies, but to no avail. Every time I get to the 20's, the chain breaks. So frustrating. I followed all the chaining rules such as 3 - 4 patches away, never on the patches at the edges, stick to the same shake pattern and everything, but still..D:

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I was a huge fan of chaining. My highest chain is 126 with Ponyta. Although I know I'm not the best since some people reached 200+, I am satisfied with my chaining skills.

I followed the "4th ring" method, or whatever it's called. There's some awesome videos on Youtube demonstrating this method. I also looked at Smogon's guide.

My shiny haul was like... -turns on Pearl- 1 Corsola, 3 Absol, 1 Voltorb (done while in the car lol), 7 Ponyta (I wasn't paying attention and killed one), 2 Nidoran Male, 4 Banette, 1 Skitty, 1 Shinx, 1 Buneary, 3 Buizel, 3 Ariados, and 6 Venomoth.

The best chained Pokemon I've caught was Shiny Rapidash and Shiny Venomoth. I EV trained the best one and used them on PBR before.

Back