• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

3rd Gen Advance Generation Question & Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I'm not the best at team help, but if you need a good Water-type I'd recommend Staryu which evolves into Starmie, which has really high Speed and Special Attack, and with a decent moveset of Surf, Psychic, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt (all of which are TM/HM moves) it'd be able to destroy quite a few opponents in the game. And all you need to evolve Staryu is a Water Stone, Starmie is one of those good Water-types to use ingame so put it into consideration.

With that moveset alone, Starmie can actually cover a whole load of types.

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
Same as any Pokemon game, you have a 1/8192 or 0.01% chance of finding one. Since Emerald has no way of raising the chances like later games, I say good luck to you my good sir. And a type, the RNG is broken in the game, so unless you have incredible luck or you RNG Abused your ID and SID before hand, you will never be able to soft reset for a legendary or any other gift/stationary Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2023
This probably isn't the best place to ask but I didn't want to make a new thread for it; I'm dying to find some experience codes (GS/AR/CB) for FireRed in Japanese (in english is also welcome, all I can ever find is wild pokemon modifiers). Other things like money or items are secondary, I need fast exp. Thank you for your time?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Alright, Battle Arena is really getting annoying now...
In my last battle, their 3rd pokémon was a Parasect, which won on referee's decision due to greater health against my Swampert.
However, against my Latios it used Spore twice and Double Team once. Latios attempted Dragon Claw twice (healed from Spore the first time).
So Latios was left with full health, Parasect had less, although it had recovered some with Leftovers.
Latios won Mind, Parasect won Skill, fair enough. But Parasect won body? I don't understand this, as Parasect had <100% hp, Latios had 100%. So how did Parasect win? Anyone care to explain?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Alright, Battle Arena is really getting annoying now...
In my last battle, their 3rd pokémon was a Parasect, which won on referee's decision due to greater health against my Swampert.
However, against my Latios it used Spore twice and Double Team once. Latios attempted Dragon Claw twice (healed from Spore the first time).
So Latios was left with full health, Parasect had less, although it had recovered some with Leftovers.
Latios won Mind, Parasect won Skill, fair enough. But Parasect won body? I don't understand this, as Parasect had <100% hp, Latios had 100%. So how did Parasect win? Anyone care to explain?

Body is calculated by (((HP remaining at end)*100)/(starting HP)).

Because Parasect gained HP and Latios stayed the same, it would have had more points.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
This probably isn't the best place to ask but I didn't want to make a new thread for it; I'm dying to find some experience codes (GS/AR/CB) for FireRed in Japanese (in english is also welcome, all I can ever find is wild pokemon modifiers). Other things like money or items are secondary, I need fast exp. Thank you for your time?

Sorry to say you'll just have to Google it. It's against GPGD rules to give out AR codes. ;(

Pikayosh

Epic Pikachu
Years
i recently found emerald ROM and would like to know some shiny finding tip thx
:t258:

Broken it's really simple if you want a starter or regular pokemon just go to options<emulator<activate speed up on toggle or whatever its called then just search around for the pokemon you want if you don't find one you could always use cheats.

Welchieboy

Pokemon Master '94
Years
Pokedex completion

Hi guys and gals,

So, finish my exams soon and I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I want to complete a 3rd Gen game and I am like 5 away from doing the NON National Pokedex on Sapphire and wanted to know if it was worth pushing on with it or not? In the past I've completed Crystal and Red so I know a lot of effort is required (Pokedex wise) I know in Pokemon Colosseum you get most 2nd Gen Pokemon. I have all summer to do this and will have money to buy anything necessary. (I don't know if it is possible to complete any 3rd Gen game without Colosseum or Gale of Darkness)

Games I have:

Sapphire
Ruby
Fire Red
Leaf Green
Emerald

I also have a Gameboy Player for my GameCube and a GBA Link Cable. (I don't currently own Colosseum)

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Hi guys and gals,

So, finish my exams soon and I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I want to complete a 3rd Gen game and I am like 5 away from doing the NON National Pokedex on Sapphire and wanted to know if it was worth pushing on with it or not? In the past I've completed Crystal and Red so I know a lot of effort is required (Pokedex wise) I know in Pokemon Colosseum you get most 2nd Gen Pokemon. I have all summer to do this and will have money to buy anything necessary. (I don't know if it is possible to complete any 3rd Gen game without Colosseum or Gale of Darkness)

Games I have:

Sapphire
Ruby
Fire Red
Leaf Green
Emerald

I also have a Gameboy Player for my GameCube and a GBA Link Cable. (I don't currently own Colosseum)

I recommend getting Colosseum and XD GoD as they are great games. Also you won't finish the national dex without Ho-oh and Lugia, which nowadays, can only be obtained in those games in gen III (they used to be able to be obtained through a Nintendo Event, but that is long gone).

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2013
Hi everybody,

After much deliberation, I decided to play FireRed/LeafGreen instead of the original games. I think the remakes are much better. I like the Vs. Seeker because I can get money and exp through it, and battling trainers is fun.

I have several Pokémon in mind and I'd like to know what nature they should be and a good moveset for them. I want to get them early on if possible, so I think I'll have to train more than 6 Pokémon.

I understand that Effort Training is a good thing if you want your Pokémon to be strong. I'll get the Macho Brace. Is there a way to know which Pokémon/trainers give which EV, and what are good starting stats/nature for the 150 original Pokés?

Some Pokés I had in mind:
Snorlax
Arcanine
Muk/Weezing
Hypno (I can't get Alakazam though I'll look into simulating a trade through action replay if I can, is it possible?)
Exeggutor
Starmie
Lapras
Dragonite
Oddish
Mankey
Dugtrio
Nidoqueen/Nidoking (I don't know which one is the best)

I'd gladly get a Haunter if I could make it evolve. :( Same for Alakazam.

Now I'm wondering which starter to pick, I want it to be good for his type, and good against E4.

I'll grow berries, do EV training once I understand it, and try to find good movesets for Pokémon but I need some help. :)
I plan on starting a new game tomorrow so I need to choose my starter.

Years
  • Seen Jun 16, 2013
Elite Four Lorelei

Haven't beat the Elite Four yet at all. Ive never even got into the room. I go and the lady says "You wasted your time coming here, Lorelei is absent" i don't know where she is or how to find her... Someone help me please

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2013
Quick question, what's a good nature for a Venusaur with a standard moveset such as Sleep Powder Razor Leaf Leech Seed and Synthesis?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Well, I'm assuming you're not battling competitively/EVing seeing as you have only 1 attack. I'd go for one of the +Special Attack natures (Modest / Quiet - the other two reduce your defenses), a +Defence / Special Defence one (Bold / Relaxed / Calm / Sassy) or a neutral one (Hardy / Docile / Serious / Quirky / Bashful). Just don't reduce your Special Attack or your defences (See this link).

Hope that helps!

Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2013
Just picked up my old Japanese game!

After many years of not really following Pokemon (the last game I have played is SoulSilver), and whilst in the process of a long-awaited clean out, I found my old Japanese Sapphire cartridge! Now this may not seem to exciting but I got an instant thought about the Pokemon I have on there!

I quickly hooked it up to my dusty GBA and loaded my save, which I was relieved was still there, and I look what I have found!

My old Ageto Celebi and Mew from my Japanese Emerald (the one you get from Faraway Island, which my friend from Japan got me during Pokemon Festa many years back.. 2005 I believe)

I am looking for my Japanese Emerald right now aha!

Obviously I am looking to transfer them over to current generations, would anybody be able to enlighten me on how to do this?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2013
Firstly, you need a Nintendo DS or DS Lite. DSi or 3DS will not work as they do not have a GBA cartridge slot. You also need a 4th or 5th gen game for the Nintendo DS, i.e Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, Soulsilver, Black/White or their sequels. You may need to pass some sort of requirement to migrate Pokemon to the newer games, in Diamond/Pearl you need to have beaten the Elite Four. I am not sure about other games as I have not played them. If you have fulfilled a requirement, turn on the Nintendo DS with both the DS Game and GBA Pak inserted. Run the DS game. When you get to the menu it should have Your Save, New Game Wifi settings and migrate Pokemon from Sapphire, which you click. It will warn you that your Pokemon cannot be returned to the gameboy, then select 6 Pokemon you wish to send to your DS game. You can only migrate once every 24 hours, and if you change the time on your DS the game will sync itself to that and reset the 24hr timer.

Once you have migrated your Pokemon, in my experience with D/P there is a location in game you must go to 'catch' your migrated Pokemon, in Sinnoh it is called the Pal Park. The pokemon are instantly caught in this artificial environment. When you catch them from Pal park they will be in a habitat that suits them, Celebi in the grass, water pokemon in the lake etc.

I hope this helps you migrate your Pokemon:) Also, I don't know if there will be compatibility issues with a Japanese GBA cartridge. Message me if you have questions or concerns Meteor :)

Ahh cool thanks a bunch man, yeh luckily I do still have my DS Lite with the GBA slot and a copy of Soul Silver, so I think I just need to finish fighting Red and I'll be able to transfer them, cheers for taking your time to answer my question!

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Yep, that's me
Years
Game: Leaf Green

Elite Four: Beaten

I have got 60 Pokemon and now what to get a Pichu. How do I do that? I don't have a rainbow pass and can't get to Island four an am like going a little crazy trying to find out how to do it.

Any help is welcomed with open arms! Thanks!

I am a newbe so please go slow.

Just breed two Pikachu. That should result in Pichu. No crazy item combos like in later gens, haha. And for the Rainbow Pass, you'll need to speak with Celio to get it. That also starts your quest for the Sapphire and Ruby to trade with...well, Ruby and Sapphire. And Emerald, of course.

Also, I've told you this before, but please, when you have a question for a game of a specific generation, this being Advance Generation, you need to ask in that section's Q&A thread. I'm going to delete your post as spam next time.

I still dont understand, who is this guy I need to talk to, where is he?

If is not to much trouble can you dumb it right down? I am such a newbie---lol. Thank you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back