• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon extended into EDUCATION!!

jynx

Er.../eh...
Years
Surprise! Everyone!
Pokemon has appeared in many textbooks nowadays!

Here are the list of books that introduce Pokemon:
Longman Express English text book 1A (Hong Kong)
Longman Express English text book 1B (Hong Kong)
Oxford English text book 1A (Hong Kong)
Federal Maths text book 1A (Hong Kong)
???? English text book 2A, 2B (Hong Kong)

If you find any others, post here!!

Pluslechu

Uuuh...Corn?
Years
I haven't seen any textbooks with pokemon in 'em, but ever since I started playing the pokemon game boy games I've gotten excellent grades in Language Arts and Science... FuNkY o.o *hands pokemon games out to little kids*

Latios Master

11 Year PC Member
Years
Wow, it's weird that Pokemon would be in those kinds of books. That's cool. It just shows how big Pokemon is. ^_^ I think stuff that I've learned from Pokemon has helped me in school too. o_O Just yesterday, I saw a picture of an ancient fish still alive today that looked a lot like the Pokemon Relicanth, and it was called a Coelacanth. Must be a connection. ~_^

Pluslechu

Uuuh...Corn?
Years
Latios Master said:
Wow, it's weird that Pokemon would be in those kinds of books. That's cool. It just shows how big Pokemon is. ^_^ I think stuff that I've learned from Pokemon has helped me in school too. o_O Just yesterday, I saw a picture of an ancient fish still alive today that looked a lot like the Pokemon Relicanth, and it was called a Coelacanth. Must be a connection. ~_^
Heh, I saw a fake life sized Coelecanth in a museum once....Then later I saw a picture of Relicanth and they looked alike so...It's plain to see that Relicanth is based on Coelecanths. And a few years ago, when pokemon first started, I saw something on the news that said that pokemon had helped kids with reading and some other stuff...

Last edited:

Kenta-kun

死神
Years
I remember when Pok?mon first came out, I was in gr. 5, & wrote "Porygon" on a geometry test & got it right O_O.

About the Coelecanth (pronounced see-la-canth, btw), it's true that many Pok?mon are based on real animals. The Japanese names are more often than not huge puns (more than American ones), & Pok?mon like Ho-oh (who's Japanese name, Houou, literally means Phoenix) ARE named after real creatures, and Yanma is the Japanese word for Dragonfly (I think). There's lots more

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
Years
Kenta-kun said:
I remember when Pok?mon first came out, I was in gr. 5, & wrote "Porygon" on a geometry test & got it right O_O.

About the Coelecanth (pronounced see-la-canth, btw), it's true that many Pok?mon are based on real animals. The Japanese names are more often than not huge puns (more than American ones), & Pok?mon like Ho-oh (who's Japanese name, Houou, literally means Phoenix) ARE named after real creatures, and Yanma is the Japanese word for Dragonfly (I think). There's lots more

I have to agree that Pokemon has also helped me in school as well. Pokemon has help me with reading and to understand something better. Also when watching the Japanses versions with subtitles of Pokemon, it has also helped me to read faster.

jynx

Er.../eh...
Years
Hm... you know Aerodactyle,
Its Japanese name is Ptera,
and there is actually a reptile very similar called Pteradactyle!!

Latias is named by the shell Latiaxis.
Vulpix is name by the fox Vulpine.
Pikachu is named by the hamster Pika.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Hong Kong, English is a compulsory subject in primary and secondary school.
And, using Pokemon, they teach Secondary school students English.
And they need to do these in class:
"What is this?"
"It is a butterfree."
"What is that?"
"It is a Snorlax"

And they even have pictures of them on the book. Suppose they did buy the right from Nintendo!

Kenta-kun

死神
Years
Pikachu is named by the hamster Pika.

Although it would seem that way, its not. "Pika" is the Japanese sound a mouse makes. "Chu" is the sound for a spark (could be the other way around). I remember reading this in an interview with Satoshi Tajiri

Porygon

Banned
Years
Very interesting. Hmmm? I wonder how Pok?mon has helped me academically? as far as I can remember, it's only hurt me as such because I was never doing work, just things that had to do with Pok?mon. Even now, I tend to be here instead of doing work in my computer course.

Sayuri no Hoshi

♥ i'm loving angels instead ♥
Years
Porygon said:
Very interesting. Hmmm? I wonder how Pok?mon has helped me academically? as far as I can remember, it's only hurt me as such because I was never doing work, just things that had to do with Pok?mon. Even now, I tend to be here instead of doing work in my computer course.
That was the same thing that happened to me when I first began liking Pokemon. I remember it was the day my Mom bought me the 2 B A Master soundtrack. I listened to it ALL night; and, I was supposed to do an essay due the next day but then I thought, "Eh, I can do it in homeroom tomorrow." That's when all of a sudden my grades kind of went down-hill. But, that was about 5 or 6 years ago...lol. My grades are all the way back up again and I think this is the one year of high school I haven't gotten anything below a B- on my report card...^__^

jynx

Er.../eh...
Years
WHen I started likeing Pokemon in primary 6, my marks gone down and my mum threw my 2BA master away!!

But now, as I found Pokmon related to the things I'm learning, I archieve very good results!!
None of my teachers gave me bad comments, and I got A for everything!

Years
SO I guess people like lessay Frosty would be really good in his studies if they were about Pokemon...

jynx

Er.../eh...
Years
Neh, its only "English practise lessons" that they use Pokemon.
There isn't a thing called Pokemonogy in Hong Kong...

Back