• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What attacks should Unova Pokemon learn, but didn't?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
...Gothitelle wouldn't even be able to use Close Combat correctly. I'm all for being a big fan of a Pokemon, but I think the fact that Gothitelle is your favorite is getting the better of you here.

Now, Emboar could have made use of Close Combat though.

Years
Well, the 3/4 of that is a set by itself, the last move can be Energy Ball or SolarBeam or something else, but it's recommended to be Synthesis, just because it's a sweeper/wall.

I seriously think Serperior should've learned Power Whip instead of Leaf Storm. I mean, it's obviously not cut out for special attacking, so why give it an attack that lowers the stat by two stages? I mean, Serperior doesn't learn Power Whip, but Venusaur does?

wtf troll freak.

...Then again, Leaf Storm is probably just there for all those who've managed to somehow encounter a DW Serperior/Snivy with Contrary. Then they can murder everyone with Leaf Storm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Lilligant needs something else to do... Mine has the Sleep Powder/Dream Eater combo since it was like the only non grass-type special move that would work with mine (mine had a crap HP type).

Eelektross with Water Pulse. It is an EleFISH Pokemon, after all.

Samurott line needs Earthquake. Frost Breath would be nice as well on it since you don't get Ice Beam till the postgame.

Years
And I have a question: Why are you so against having Gothitelle learning Focus Blast? Not even that, slap CM on it and have spam HP Fighting. I will just about guarantee you that it will always do more damage that anything close combat or any physical fighting move that you could ever give it.
Focus Blast has like 50% accuracy so it almost always misses. So that'd be a waste of space on my movepool. I dislike moves that have below 95% accuracy. My Brick Break that I slapped on her has 100% accuracy so I am able to OHKO dark types.

I do have HP Fighting and Calm Mind. And it works great and fine and dandy. But then I look at Renuclus and it can get away with EVERYTHING. I want to get away with something, my Pokemon's not perfect like that but she can get the job done. That's why I replaced CM with Rock Slide.

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
Years
I don't think Gothitelle is hated because of it's moves, now. Gothitelle has plenty of status moves which are important to any strategy, regardless. Gothitelle can also learn Dark Pulse from Lucario which is a very good move. Gothitelle is really for people who know how to manage psychic type pokemon and how to raise them. Most people who don't like Gothitelle or any other specific pokemon are usually not very good in managing that specific pokemon, or just don't like what they look like (which is very unwise, of course) I think that to raise Gothitelle better, you should focuse in the moves it does have, instead of dwelling over what moves it should have. I know a lot of people who think pokemon should have these moves or should be able to do this and so on. I say just study what moves they do have.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022

Focus Blast has like 50% accuracy so it almost always misses. So that'd be a waste of space on my movepool. I dislike moves that have below 95% accuracy. My Brick Break that I slapped on her has 100% accuracy so I am able to OHKO dark types.

I do have HP Fighting and Calm Mind. And it works great and fine and dandy. But then I look at Renuclus and it can get away with EVERYTHING. I want to get away with something, my Pokemon's not perfect like that but she can get the job done. That's why I replaced CM with Rock Slide.

In-game, tons of things work. I'm not one to advise against using whatever you want on your Pokemon because usually you can make it work. If you're talking in a more competitive environment like if you're playing against your friends... well, there are reasons why some Pokemon are more popular in situations like that than others. There are Pokemon that are straight-up outclassed, like Altaria - most of the things it can do can be done by other Pokemon in every other way. Same goes for Gothitelle. You can use it if you want, that's fine, whatever. But giving it random physical moves isn't gonna do anything to help it be a better Pokemon, especially with that abysmal physical attack. You're better off doing what it does best rather than trying to make it into something that it's not.

On-topic, I'd like to see Ferroseed get Rapid Spin. It spins in its sprite. ;-;

Years
Gothitelle is particularly good at walling, so you don't really have to worry about dying from strong Bug-type/Ghost-type/Dark-type attacks if you a high defense stat (which Gothitelle is all about).

And since her speed is mid-high, she can outspeed some of the mid-level Darks and Bugs in the metagame (lol, though, I did EV train mines in Speed a bit). If you can do that, have her use Charm on the Dark types, which lowers the ATK stat by two stages. Since, y'know, most Dark-type moves are physical.

By saying that Gothitelle is worse than Reuniclus just makes Gothitelle look even worse. Sure, Reuniclus has that amazing Sp. ATK stat, but it has sub-par defenses and is literally as slow as a rock. Even then, there's the fact that Gothitelle can learn Dark Pulse, and her moveset is designed around literally degrading the foe (Fake Tears, Embargo, Flatter, Charm...), then going in for the hit.

In general, the odds can be turned on each other, but it's not like either one can learn Bug Buzz.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Gothitelle is particularly good at walling, so you don't really have to worry about dying from strong Bug-type/Ghost-type/Dark-type attacks if you a high defense stat (which Gothitelle is all about).

And since her speed is mid-high, she can outspeed some of the mid-level Darks and Bugs in the metagame (lol, though, I did EV train mines in Speed a bit). If you can do that, have her use Charm on the Dark types, which lowers the ATK stat by two stages. Since, y'know, most Dark-type moves are physical.

By saying that Gothitelle is worse than Reuniclus just makes Gothitelle look even worse. Sure, Reuniclus has that amazing Sp. ATK stat, but it has sub-par defenses and is literally as slow as a rock. Even then, there's the fact that Gothitelle can learn Dark Pulse, and her moveset is designed around literally degrading the foe (Fake Tears, Embargo, Flatter, Charm...), then going in for the hit.

In general, the odds can be turned on each other, but it's not like either one can learn Bug Buzz.

Gothitelle cannot wall. Tyranitar used Crunch. GG. 65 Base speed is terrible for sweeping and charm is just... Gothitelle is worse that Reuniclus! Reuniclus is one of the most used Pokemon in the metagame, it maybe slow but it has a load of bulk to back it up.

Anyway Gothitelle shouldn't learn any fighting physical moves, I don't see why people use physical moves like that on Psychic types, hey! Let's go for SubPunch Blissey whilst we're at it! :D

I think that Serperior should of gotten a bigger movepool, like Dragon Moves; Dragon Pulse, Dragon Breath, Draco Meteor. Ground moves like Earthquake and Earth power, the odd poison move like Sludge Bomb. Emboar should have gotten Close Combat / Fire Punch. Unova starters got shafted in the movepool department! >:

Last edited:
Years
I just don't understand why you want Gothitelle to be a Physical Sweeper. It can't learn ANY STAB Physical moves, it has a Base Attack lower than a Rattata (Rattata=56>Gothitelle=55), and it just not good at much at all. Why can't you be happy with what Gothitelle HAS? Isn't that what being a fan of the pokemon is about?

Years
Well I'm sorry that Gothitelle isnt a god mod like Renuclus is. This is why I SUGGESTED the moves in the first place... because I hate when people CANNOT accept that I think Gothitelle is better and people hate me because of it. I've even gotten a comment today asking why the hell would I like this over some blob thing.

The difference between me and alot of other fans is that I don't need sites like Smoogn etc to tell me which Pokemon is bad or not. Because I don't care. I dont care of Renuclus is overused... I still don't like it. All that matters is that I'm using my favorite.

Of course back to the topic at hand, I'm not setting here going "Gothitelle is gowd!11!!". She has flaws. Most people hate flaws and thats why they go for the other choice... it's flawless. By MAYBE rasing it's attack to 100 and Sp Attk to 100 maybe I can get away with any move.

Close combat is an awesome move and my birdy Poke uses it nicely. If I can have that move on MY Gothitelle, then I'd be ecstatic because I can REALLY kick but with those looks. Submission is another one I'd want even tho it's a recoil move. But it's really good. Brick Break is a filler fighting movr that WORKS. Sometimes I wish there could be better.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
Years
Why is everyone so against Goth having close combat? Don't you agree that it needs better moves? Or do you want it to be hated forever?

How is it hated forever simply because you think it has sucky moves? I believe the only Pokemon thats worthless is Magikarp, and even he turns into an awesome Water/Flying pokemon once you evolve him. Each move can be used (Except Splash.. Lulz), and so no Pokemon really needs better moves, you just need to work with the moves they have and find a way that they can excel in battles, whether it be spear heading the enemy, supporting, or just plain battling with everything it has.. I also agree with the many other people saying a Psychic type shouldnt learn too many Fighting type moves simply because it learns one or two... Thats like saying a Water type should also know a buttload of Fire type moves simply because it can learn Fire Punch >_>.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
I think Druddigon should have been able to learn Head Smash, and had the ability Rock Head. It would have been PERFECT for him. On that subject, he also should have been Dragon/Rock.

Years
Explain to me how the hell Gothitelle, a Pokemon with arms like those of a super-models, should be able to use Close Combat of all things?

That doesn't even make any sense, even more so than the Ferrothorn line not learning Rapid Spin!

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Meloetta is a legendary, so it can get away with it. Mienshao is a bad@$$ martial artist mink, so it is trained in strength. Gothitelle is a Gothic Lolita, and there is no reason one of them would be able to use Hammer Arm. Or Close Combat. And Reuniclus isn't "flawless". It's speed isn't exactly great, and if it doesn't get out a trick room, it won't do much good. It's defense and special defense really aren't anything special (not saying they don't get the job done well), and it doesn't exactly have a great physical attack either. Sure, it's higher then that of Gothitelle, but it's not wise to give it a physical attack anyway.

Last edited:

Chiar

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 5, 2014
Reuniclus can't learn Thunderbolt, but can learn Thunder. Gothitelle can learn Thunderbolt, but can't learn Thunder. WTF? O_o

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
What is rapid spin? Oh and doesnt Meienshao and Moeletta have skinny arms?

And wouldnt it be funny if Eelektross learned Earthquake and other ground moves to cover that weakness?

You're asking what Rapid Spin does? It's a weak normal type move, it's useless most of the time however it's only goal is to get rid of entry hazards (Stealth Rock, Spikes, Leech Seed, Toxic Spikes etc...) Yes but they're fighting types, and actually have a usable attack stat. Plus, Mienshao doesn't learn Close Combat, it should though.

What weakness? >__< Also; Stunfisk should of gotten Zap Cannon! :C It's a terrible move I know but still! :P

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
Years
I wish Hydreigon could actually learn Dark Pulse normally instead of it being a bred move. Really, GF? The first Dark/Dragon Pokemon ever, and you decide "oh hei letz knot give Hydreigon Dark Pulse even tho it wood b purfect 4 it"? Really, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

And yeah, Emboar should've gotten Fire Punch :/

Back