• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Top 5 Designs

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
I've whittled it down and my top 5 are:

1. Venusaur - The Pokemon of life, harnessing energy from the Sun and uniting the plant and animal kingdom, its fragrance becalming all that come near. It could strangle you with its vines and spit deadly poison on you if it wanted to, but it would rather make you stoned with its "soothing fragrance". The first and still the best.

2. Gyarados - When the creator of Pokemon asked his designers for a vicious sea monster, they could have produced nothing better than Gyarados. The most p'd off face in all of Pokemon, it could be mistaken for being pure evil. However, if you read its Pokedex entries carefully, you'll find that Gyarados is an anti-war hero, cleansing the environment from violent people. "They say that during past wars, Gyarados would appear and burn everything to the ground with intensely hot flames. The hyper beam it shoots from its mouth totally incinerates all targets. There are records of this Pokemon's rampages lasting a whole month." Gyarados, you may not be a non-violent pacifist, but we salute you for your attempts at creating world peace.

3. Giratina - 2 great formes, it's a dragon and a ghost, unique, powerful. It has everything. So badass, it was banished to another dimension.

4. Garchomp - Another Pokemon with a bit of everything. Blades, claws, spikes, shark teeth, aerodynamic design to fly at speeds equal to a jet fighter plane.... and it's resistant to electicity. And it can breathe fire. And it can jab you with poison. And it can swim. And it can dig underground. There is no escape from this tyrant.

5. I could have picked any of Haunter, Weezing, Swampert, Exploud, Metagross, Dusknoir or Gliscor for this last entry but instead I've chosen a Pokemon more frightening than any of those. A rare Pokemon, underappreciated and forgotten but if you ever were to come across one, it would be a scar in your memories. I'm talking, of course, about Lickitung. Name origin: Lick - touch with the tongue, Tongue - muscle in mouth. Its tongue is connected to its tail, almost 7 feet long, twice the length of its body and can be moved like an arm. Its sticky saliva grips anything, and its licks can cause paralysis. Appearances can be deceptive, because inside that pink and yellow blob are some internal organs that can produce ice, fire, water, electric, poison. It can heal itself from anything in a second and has mastered psychic abilities and martial arts. It's heavy enough to create rock slides and earthquakes, but fast enough to make the opponent see double. Possibly the most dangerous of all Pokemon.

What are your top 5?

Years
Umm, so top 5 Pokemon designs? Probs put that in the description to avoid confusion.

I do think That Bastiodon is very well designed in the sense that it has massive defences, and access to Metal Burst its 'signature move'. Not only that but I thoroughly enjoy the way it's physical design turned out.

soulavenger

A Keen Observer
Years
For me Umbreon and Scizor have very good design.
Especially Umbreon,with its association with night and moon.

Sirfetch’d

For me Design is one of the most important aspects when choosing a Pokemon. My top 5 would be: (in no particular order)
1. Blaziken. I think a lot of thought went into Blaziken. It was originally going to be fused with Latias for one Pokemon, but GF made them 2 separate Pokemon.
2. Blastoise. Starters in general usually get the most time I think when it comes to design and Blastoise was built to Perfection. One of the best gen. 1 Pokes out there.
3. Starmie. Starmie is a VERY unique Pokemon with its moveset and all, but its design is so simple it is magnificent. It is just 2 stars stacked. I love Starmie.
4. Jellicent. There is a reason I am a Jellicentfan. I love its design. You know that GF thinks a lot of a Pokemon when it makes 2 forms of a POkemon. Jellicent is special to me. Its design is so unique and really great.
5.Reshiram. Reshiram is one of the coolest looking Pokemon ever. I got stuck with the White version so I missed out on it, but it still looks amazing!
5b. Castform. I can't forget my favorite pokemon of all-time. I like all of its forms. Normal form is still the best though.

Honorable mentions: Breloom, the Latis, The legendary birds, Volcarona, Butterfree, Scolipede, many others.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
Years
Do you mean design or concept? Because you used the word design but you're clearly talking about concept.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 25, 2012
Including both design and concept I'd probably say the following: Castform, Ditto, Magcargo, Clampearl, and Shedinja. Obviously normal Castform and Ditto aren't visually all that creative, but that's where their conceptual designs come into play. The other three I felt do have a good combo of conceptual and visual design.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
1. Gallade: I like how its design incorprates the Psychic type (physical similarities to its pre evolved forms) and Fighting type (blade arms, a crest that resembles the helmet of a gladiator) nicely.

2. Porygon-Z: A glitched-up Porygon2 with the head floating upside down.

3. Empoleon: It may not look like a Steel Pokemon, but it does appear to have a solid body and razor-sharp wings, as evidenced by the fact it learns Metal Claw. Its "tuxedo" reminds me of The Penguin from Batman and its beak-like trident reminds me of Poseidon/Neptune.

4. Samurott: It looks significantly different from its pre-evolved forms, why? Because it looks more like a samurai than its pre-evolved forms, simply put; Oshawott and Dewott just have the weapons of a samurai.

5. Excadrill: I like how it can fold itself into a drill, to put it simply.

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
Do you mean design or concept? Because you used the word design but you're clearly talking about concept.

I suppose you're right. Some pokemon like Ninetales and Umbreon clearly have good designs, but the fact that they're basically just a dog and a cat makes me appreciate them much less. But it's not just about the concept, because I also didn't include Poliwrath, which is a great concept that looks very interesting in fan art but has an overly simple design. So it's a bit of both really.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2020
5. Charizard- An all time favorite. Charizard was a force to be reckon'd with in Kanto and its appearance did nothing but enforce that even more. The Giant Flaming Lizard with wings could scare most pokemon just by looking at it. Add some claws and the ability to engulf the air in flames and you have one of the best designed pokemon.

4. Ninetails- Another fire type. This one though has more of a regal more elegant feel to it. Ninetails, though having intimidating power, has the look of a creature from mythology that even with its noble appearance, brought a force to be reckon'd with and lands it at No.4 for me.

3 Tropius- How could one not love the flying grass type dinosaur. Though many dinosaurs (and pokemon with the look of dinosaurs) often look ferocious, Tropius has more of a calm, gentle, look even with its massive size. The grass type has 2 sets of huge wings made out of giant palm leaves that add on to this already impressive pokemon. Add some deadly fruit on its neck, and you have No.3 on my list.

2 Lucario- Ahhh Lucario, the Aura Pokemon. There are few who fit the role of a hero better than Lucario. Its noble stature and its warrior like appearance are just the beginning of what make this warrior amazing. For starters, Lucario has spikes sticking out all over it, the dream of any 10 year old boy, including one sticking right out the center of his chest. Plus fangs, a projectile use of Aura, and the ability to summon a bone to use as its sword at any time, and he makes No.2! Who might be better you ask?

1 Gallade- Gallade might! My number one favorite pokemon is one based mainly on its appearance, though that's not all. As another fighting type, he too resembles the build of a warrior, but not your typical dueler. Gallade has an appearance that can be described as Royal with the blades that make up its arms and the looks of a battle helmet that covers his head. This pokemon brings fear into an opponents eyes just by staring at it, though Gallade still remains one of the most noble pokemon known, making him my No.1!!!

Years
I think the desgins got progressively better with newer generations, especially for the older pokemon (no surprise).

5.Absol (It's simple but it looks devious and sly, a little exotic)
4.Arcanine (It looks powerful and beastly)
3.Braviary (Patriotic! It's also very unique in style I think)
2.Suicune (Looks very majestic and kind of elegant)
1.Serperior (Fancy/Royal. Some of the simplest but most brilliant combinations of design+color imo)

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
Scyther, all the way.

A bad ass Mantis with blades for arms who uses speed and agility to take you down

Back