• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

#1: Bulbasaur vs. Charmander vs. Squirtle

Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle?

• Total voters
Years
Welcome to the re-incarnation of the Poké-Poll of the Week here in Pokémon Voting Polls! The previous run of the PokéPOTW was met with a lukewarm response at best, so it's been tweaked a bit in order to see some more activity, and most importantly- to hear your opinions! Remember, all PVP section rules still apply here, especially:
Expand on your answers! Don't just tell us that Pikachu is your favorite Pokémon- tell us why! If you're just listing or giving very short answers, your post may be up for a warning or an infraction.
This week, we'll start off with one of the most classic questions:

Who is your favorite first gen starter- Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle?

Polls will remain stickied for a week, with a new poll being posted after the previous one is finished. The thread and poll will remain open after that though, so feel free to continue voting even if it's no longer the active POTW. One thing we do ask though is that you try to limit A vs. B style of threads in Pokemon Voting Polls going forward. Instead, if you have any ideas like this, feel free to post them along with your response in this thread, or VM them to either myself or Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers. If we like the idea, we may use it for a future POTW, and you'll get a special emblem for the suggestion.

So what are you waiting for? Vote away!

Last edited:

AceTheHanyou

ShakeTheHanyou
Years
Charmander!
Best design out of the 3 starters. Though in Gen 1 Games (Red & Blue) he didn't learn Metal Claw at lvl 13, it was hard to beat Brock until you start grinding in the wild. The remakes which allowed Charmander learn Metal Claw at lvl 13, helped Charmander take the cake. Also Charizard because he can learn Dragon, Fighting, Flying, Ground, Rock, Fire moves.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
Bulbasaur because Leech Seed+Toxic was broken in RBY and Venusaur's affinity for that strategy is the sole reason stall teams are my favorite competitive thing to this day. XD

Years
These three aren't my fave starter trio in general, but if you're talking individually I'd say Charmander.

It's a funny story because Charmander's line started off as my least fave Kanto starter but I suddenly like Charizard now thanks to his Charizard X Mega Evolution. It saved me a lot during my Pokemon X playthrough and it gets balanced offenses as Charizard X. Although I do love the other two as well.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I believe I voted for Bulbasaur. That's because Bulbasaur was my starter for the first successful run in LG. Not just because Bulbasaur was perfectly fitting in with my style of gameplay, also because the other two were just too hard to cope through with. I had self-decided a dual-type clause for that particular run then, so I negated Squirtle instantly (though I really wanted to take him).

Charmander was hard to work with, I never saw meself going past that Misty. So I decided to play cool with Bulbasaur. Plus, I never got the worry of taking a good grass type (which was quite hard to find) in the game. Later on, of course, I took Squirtle and Charmander but nostalgia, you know?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Probably Charmander but also Bulbasaur. Never quite found the same love for Squirtle.

I usually pick the fire starter in the games. Don't know why, possibly because they are cool and because there aren't many other easily obtainable fire types in most games. Hoenn is the best example, perhaps, where the first are like Slugma and Numel and... Nah, Combusken kind of beats them wayyy.

Charmander is a pokémon from whose family I enjoy all stages. Charmander is incredibly cute, Charmeleon is cool, one of my favorite pokémon design and type wise, and Charizard is totally alright. The least great part of that family, which I maybe should go and post in the "unpopular opinions" thread, haha. But it's a dragon-kinda, I loved Ash's one in the anime and all in all it's one of the most iconic pokémon of the franchise ever. I can't really dislike icons ^^

Bulbasaur, I love much more than its evolutions, which kind of brings things down a bit for it. I'm not like Ash, not ever wanting to let my Bulbasaur evolve, I would want it to get stronger. While Ivysaur is still cute and not overly bulkyboring, Venusaur is a bit too much for me. Bulbasaur still comes in second place on its own, because hands down it's the most adorable pokémon in existence. You want proof? I'll give you proof.

Spoiler:

Squirtle's okay too, I especially like Wartortle for its design. I've always loved the fact that they have a shell to fight and defend with too, but I just haven't really found the same kind of love for it. Sorry Squirtle :3

Last edited:

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
CHARMANDER!
Bulbasaur is the cutest and I amjust about to use a ninja turtle themed squirtle team because those little cheribs have never had any love from me, personally I love all starters except gen v, they were a low point...

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I picked Squirtle, mainly because it's the first Pokémon that I have ever gotten my hands on. xD" It looks pretty adorable, too, and its final evolution form looks just simply epic. Blastoise's got quite a bulky body, an extremely hard shell which it could go in and out of whenever it wishes to, and to top it all off, it's got two huge cannons stuck to its back which it's able to use when executing special-based attacks. Blastoise also has a mega-form, which is even more bulky and fierce. I've used Mega Blastoise many times in Y, and was able to win a lot of my matches with it. As for my second favorite, it'd definitely have to be Charmander.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Squirtle, because it was the first starter I picked in FireRed/LeafGreen. Mega Blastoise is actually very useful too.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
So are we doing a favorite starter tournament now? :P
Going with the popular vote because how can you not like Charmander? A lizard with an ignited tail beats a dinosaur with a plant bulb on its back and a blue turtle.

リザードン☆

Charizard evolved into..
Years
I voted for Charmander.

Not only is it a challenge in the original games to start with because of the first two gyms, this little guy evolves into my all time favourite Pokémon!
In generation six he gets not one but two different mega-evolutions which are both equally awesome :P
He was always my choice given the chance to chose between the Kanto starters, in any game.

Last edited:
Years
I voted for Charmander, but it was a tough pick. I love Charmander, and I absolutely love what it becomes (being, of course, Charizard), but I also really like Squirtle. I always chose it when starting my game, because it could be effective against both starter-types (if you equipped with an Ice-type move).

Glad to see Charmander leading at the time of my vote, though!

Years
Charmander! Ever since that one episode where Ash found it in such a desperate state in the rain really tugged on the heartstrings D: The evolutions Charmander has are neat, especially Charizard :3 Charmander/Charizard have been my classic favourites ever since I've known about Pokemon.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
Definitely Charmander. He was my first starter and I always thought he had a cool design. I've felt it was easiest to pick Squirtle, though. I had to get my Charizard up to level 85 before I could solo the Elite 4. That Aerodactly..

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
Don't have a favourite, but I'll vote for Squirtle since he's the one with the least amount of votes.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
omg charmander4lyfe q:

charmander is the cutest, most adorable lizard in existence and ironically im terribly afraid of lizards 8( and lets all think about how cool charmander would become after evolving to its final stage <3

charmander is cute and luffable, nuff said, now shoo :3

Back