• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need help with Movesets, rate my Team please!

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Hello! Im new to competitive battling, and I was wondering if I could get some assistance with my Wifi Teams Movesets? I also want help with what item they should hold.

Torterra @No Item
Gentle Nature

Frenzy Plant
Synthesis
Crunch
Earthquake

I want to keep earthquake because its powerful, hits most of the time, has STAB, and my Torterra has good Physical attack. I was thinking of teaching him Stealth Rock.

Luxray @No Item
Quirky

Crunch
Swagger
Charge
Thunderbolt

I hate this moveset. I like Crunch, and Thunderbolt. But I don't ever use swagger. Raising the attack of your opponent for confusion worth it.

Darkrai @No Item
Quirky

Psychic
Dark Void
Dark Pulse
Shadow Ball

Don't really have many comments. I don't want to add Dream Eater because thats way to expected of Darkrai to have.

So...please rate it, and any reccomendations for movesets will be appreciated.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Arceus and Darkrai are only really fit to ubers in online competitive play, and using them in wifi kinda makes the opponents more likely to just not battle, or not really take you as seriously, since considering Arceus' recent release, basically everyone has it. Sooo yeah, just a warning about using it/Darkrai but if you still wanna, that's fine. Plus if you're using random matchup, which people do often, those two are actually banned - and banned in actual tournaments if you ever wanna use your team in those.

Either way, onto the rate! We generally need abilities and EVs but considering only one can have varied abilities, and you may not necessarily have EV trained them, it's fine. For Torterra, it has bad Special Attack, so Frenzy Plant doesn't help at all. Since you're new to competitive battling, just a little thing, two turn attacks aren't a good thing since the opponent can switch out and take the advantage while you're waiting to recharge, etc. Instead, use the move relearner and use Wood Hammer - a much stronger grass type attack. Stealth Rock is okay, but for better coverage, Stone Edge is much better to use, considering you have Synthesis. As for the item, go with either leftovers or Life Orb to slowly recover, or to have more power.

On Arceus, go for Earthquake > Thunderbolt, since you can hit steels/rocks which you can't otherwise, and Recover > Hyper Voice since it doesn't really do much, but you can continue to recover. It doesn't really need Judgement if you have Extremespeed and give it Swords Dance to constantly boost its stats and w/ Recover it works well.

Regice's main set is based upon what you actually have, being this:

Regice@Leftovers
Calm/Bold
~ Thunder Wave / Toxic
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt / Charge Beam
~ Seismic Toss

Toxic allows it to make use of its special defense and defenses, Seismic Toss has the same coverage Superpower/Hammer Arm would without lowering anything, and Thunderbolt does what Zap Cannon does, with higher accuracy, etc.

On Luxray, go for Superpower > Swagger, and Ice Fang > Charge so you can hit steels/rocks and generally Swagger is risky in competitive battling due to the opponent maybe switching in at the wrong time.

On Darkrai, Nasty Plot to boost its attacks, and Focus Blast to hit steels and darks which your other attacks don't hurt.

Alsooo you'll need six Pokemon, so yeah best to find one other. Good luck!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Just some friendly competitive advice: you have to take EVs into account when you're making your movesets. Offensive Pokemon use Attack, Special Attack and Speed EVs while defensive ones use HP, Defense and Special Defense EVs (each Pokemon can have a maximum of 510 EVs at a time, with a max of 255 in one stat (for competitive purposes, 252 should be the max for one stat).

For Darkrai, use Focus Blast over Shadow Ball and Nasty Plot/Calm Mind over Psychic. Shadow Ball is redudnant with Dark Pulse and Psychic doesn't provide noteworthy coverage, despite the supereffective hit on Fighting Pokemon.

Make Arceus a Ghost-type to cover the Fighting weaknesses of Darkrai and Regice:
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Claw
-Brick Break
-Recover/ExtremeSpeed
Nature: Naughty (it's already given)
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Spooky Plate
(yes, I know this set takes away Judgment, but a Naughty nature benefits Arceus' physical Attack, not its Special Attack, so I thought a physical set would be better)

--Nirvana--

State of Liberation
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 15, 2012
I'm going to guess you want to play in the uber tier?

Oh, and you didn't tell us what EVs you invested into your Pokémon. Before we can give you a proper rate we need the EVs. I will do my best on providing you with some movesets for each of your Pokémon. Starting with...

i: Torterra:

Torterra has great physical bulk so I recommend you make him a tank. In my opinion this set does this well:

Item: Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 200 Def

Wood Hammer
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Sythesis / Leech Seed

A good thing about Torterra being a tank is the fact he can still do damage (even with litte EV investment). Thanks to Torterra's STAB Earthquake attack he can scare off fire-types thanks to it dealing super-effective damage. Torterra also has access to Stealth Rock which is useful especially in the uber tier. Torterra to be honest is a rather good Stealth Rock layer. It may seem pointless to be putting Wood Hammer on a defensive set but in my opinion the extra damage is worth it. Seed Bomb is weak in comparison and therefore should be ignored. The last slot is really up to you. If you want to support the whole team go with Leech Seed otherwise stick with Sythesis for the extra hitpoint recovery.

ii: Arceus:

You don't have to give Arceus a plate for it to be effective. In my opinion Arceus is best in his normal form simply because he has only one weakness. Also, Judgement isn't necessary for him to be effective either. Below is my recommended set for Arceus:

Item: Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe

Swords Dance
ExtremeSpeed
Shadow Claw / Shadow Force
Earthquake

Thanks to Arceus' bulk, great base stats and priorty ExtremeSpeed he is a hard Pokémon to revenge kill. Combine a 120 base attack stat, Swords Dance and STAB ExtremeSpeed and you have an exceptional late-game sweeper. Swords Dance will power up ExtremeSpeed to high power levels which combined with the Life Orb boost can take out most Ubers in one hit. Mewtwo and Zekrom to name a few. Shadow Force is preferred over Shadow Claw as it can deal with Giratina and Lugia in a potential OHKO. There is a drawback to Shadow Force however; the one-turn charge. If you don't mind it go with it otherwise choose Shadow Claw. Earthquake allows you to deal with steel-types and rock-types with ease.

Note: From now, I'm simply going to suggest a set to use with a brief reason why.

iii: Regice:

I recommend a support set as it is reasonably defensive and helps your team out:

Item: Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpDef

Thunder Wave / Toxic
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Rest

Choose either Thunder Wave or Toxic for status infliction. Ice Beam provides STAB. Thunderbolt for coverage and rest to recover when necessary.

Did I say brief?

iv: Luxray:

Item: Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Wild Charge
Superpower
Ice Fang
Crunch

If you want more speed choose Jolly as the nature otherwise choose Adamant. Wild Charge provides STAB. Superpower, Ice Fang and Crunch provide overall coverage. Oh, and finally, a non-legendary Pokémon :P.

v: Darkrai:

Item: Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe

Dark Void
Dark Pulse
Focus Blast
Nasty Plot

Dark Pulse for solid STAB damage. Focus Blast for coverage. Nasty Plot to raise special attack stat to extreme levels. Dark Void to induce sleep. The Timid nature is to make Darkrai outspeed some Pokémon.

BTW, sorry for the laziness on the final Pokés but I need to go :P.

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Thanks for all your help. Ill take these suggestions into consideration :D
AIm searchung for a decent Pokemon to use as my sixth. And yes, Im aware I use to many legendaries. I just like those Pokemon way to much.

Last edited:

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Alas, I finalized my Torterra!
Wood Hammer, Sythesis, Stealth Rock, and Earthquake. I should be fine, I should just watch out for Ice Moves...

Still having difficulty deciding Regice's last move.
Hammer Arm (Wanna get rid of it)
Thunderbolt
Toxic
Ice Beam.

Should I put in a Special or Physical move?

Wood Hammer, Sythesis, Stealth Rock, and Earthquake. I should be fine, I should just watch out for Ice Moves...

Thunderbolt
Toxic
Ice Beam.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

Thunderbolt
Toxic
Ice Beam.

If you decide to use that set on Torterra, use an Impish nature on it and the EV spread of 252 HP/56 Atk/200 Def. (did you read what I said about EVs?)

Regice's physical Attack is terrible so don't use Hammer Arm. Use Rest for recovery (at the cost of being unable to attack for 2 turns) since Ice Beam and Thunderbolt have good enough coverage already. Even though Seismic Toss is a physical attack, it inflicts fixed damage (equal to the user's level, so if Regice is level 100, then it will always inflict 100 damage), so you can use that too.

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Well, I decided Im getting Rid of Arceus. I don't wanna use it anymore.
Now, as an Alternative for Darkrai, Im going to train a Zoroark. Best Nature and Ev choices?
Also, since I scapped Arceus, I need 2 more Pokemon. So, I decided to go with Crobat. Why? Cause Ive never used one and I want to see how well it fares in battle. From the looks of it, I think its pretty good. Or perhaps its just the horrible memories of me helplessly fighting Cyrus Crobat...

As for my second, Im going with Blaziken! Tell me, what are the best Evs for it?

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
i think you should keep arceus because arceus u can give it a sky plate or a water plate and let it learn dive or fly so while its in or under he cant be attacked unless earthquake for dive and flying attacks.

Arceus can't learn Dive. At all. Fly and Dive aren't even that great moves in battle too. And plus, Im scraping Arceus cause I can't use it in random Wifi battles. Plus, is quite overused. And, not all trainers use Earthquake.

Actual advice would be nice.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
If you're planning to use Zoroark, use this set with these EVs:
-Nasty Plot
-Dark Pulse/Night Daze
-Flamethrower
-Focus Blast
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Uhg. Well, I was EV training Zoroark to be a Special Sweeper. Except...
I didn't know the thing couldnt learn Dark Pulse via TM...
So it turns out I wasted an hour mudering Purrloins and Litwicks...

Um...I'm gonna try Medicham now.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Uhg. Well, I was EV training Zoroark to be a Special Sweeper. Except...
I didn't know the thing couldnt learn Dark Pulse via TM...
So it turns out I wasted an hour mudering Purrloins and Litwicks...

Um...I'm gonna try Medicham now.

Whoops; I forgot you can get Dark Pulse on Zoroark by breeding. The closest thing you can get on it via level-up is Night Daze, but it learns that at level 64.

Also, Medicham is pretty risky. While Pure Power makes its Attack very high, its average Speed holds it back from really smashing things unless it's given Choice Scarf. If you want to try it, be my guest:
-Hi Jump Kick
-Ice Punch
-Psycho Cut/Zen Headbutt (former is an egg move; latter is Gen IV tutor)
-ThunderPunch/Trick (latter is Gen IV tutor)
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Pure Power

or
-Hi Jump Kick
-Ice Punch
-Psycho Cut/Zen Headbutt
-Substitute/Drain Punch (latter is egg move)
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Item: Leftovers/Black Belt
Ability: Pure Power

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Im liking the second one...
Yeah. I think Im gonna go with Psycho Cut and Drain Punch. But....how am I suppose to get both?
If I can't...Drain Punch defiantly. Its a move with good power, Medicham gets STAB, and heals you.
Zen Headbutt and Psycho Cutter does jack....

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Im liking the second one...
Yeah. I think Im gonna go with Psycho Cut and Drain Punch. But....how am I suppose to get both?
If I can't...Drain Punch defiantly. Its a move with good power, Medicham gets STAB, and heals you.
Zen Headbutt and Psycho Cutter does jack....

FYI, Zen Headbutt is slightly stronger than Drain Punch and Psycho Cut is slightly weaker than Drain Punch.

If you want to have the Psycho Cut + Drain Punch combo, you'll have to go back to your Gen IV games. Breed a male Kadabra/Alakazam with Psycho Cut (the Abra from the Oreburgh in-game trade is your best bet, since 2 Pokemon with different IDs breed more easily, but you have to evolve it) with a female Meditite/Medicham (preferably with the right nature and given the Everstone). Then, use the Drain Punch TM on the offspring and transfer it over to Gen V.

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
I did it! I levelled up the in game trade (Kazza) to learn Psycho Cut. Then I taught it Drain Punch via TM, transferred it up to Gen V, bred it with a female Medicham. The offspring had both. After breeding like 10, I finally got an Adamant one. However...its male. Medicham looks more like a female. Its like being a Male Gardivoir...its just embarrassing...

Completed Medicham Attack training...
Now, TIEM FOR BASCULIN GENOCIDE!!

Last edited:

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
I don't think I ev trained it properly.
Marriland.com says its stats with 252 evs should be 324. But its only 221! And I also gave it adamant! Its less than it should be without the nature! OR EVS! I gave no Evs towards anything else. Only fought, Lillipups, Patrats, and Basuclins. I calculated everything, DID THE MATH PERFECTLY.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2012
I don't think I ev trained it properly.
Marriland.com says its stats with 252 evs should be 324. But its only 221! And I also gave it adamant! Its less than it should be without the nature! OR EVS! I gave no Evs towards anything else. Only fought, Lillipups, Patrats, and Basuclins. I calculated everything, DID THE MATH PERFECTLY.

Now 221 - 324 is big, but it might be ivs (I think they are called individual values...)
You can have up to 31 in a stat and they influence the stat greatly.. You get them as soon as the pokemon is breeded / caught. Thats all i know ;-;

Back