• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Southueki

Writer
Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2014
Why is fairy not effective against steel? I feel like nothing can damage steel. It's kinda rigged. Anyways I feel like fairy will be cool since it adds some needed types to explain some pokemon.

Steel is actually weak to 3 types.

The problem is, they pack alot of resistances and are usually bulky. Which means they're hard to take down, but Fighting/Ground and Fire plows through them :)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I looked over the current pokedex to see which pokemon could have their typing changed to Fairy, and most of them seem to be purely Normal-typed. The ones that are just normal would be then just Fairy if changed. Here's a list of possible ones on the internet.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7563346944/h2D27134A/

Since Jigglypuff didn't change from Normal to Fairy and just had Fairy tagged on instead, its fairly safe to assume none are getting retyped. They'll just have Fairy tagged onto it. Dual types may not change, but there hasn't been much to support either side of dual type changing to a dual with fairy.

Years
Since Jigglypuff didn't change from Normal to Fairy and just had Fairy tagged on instead, its fairly safe to assume none are getting retyped. They'll just have Fairy tagged onto it. Dual types may not change, but there hasn't been much to support either side of dual type changing to a dual with fairy.

I agree with Xander, any previous-gen Pokemon that's becoming Fairy-type (Gardevoir, Marill, Jigglypuff etc) is just basically having Fairy added on to their type, if that's the case with those who had pure typing beforehand. I don't think they'll bother with changing any dual-typed ones though.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I looked over the current pokedex to see which pokemon could have their typing changed to Fairy, and most of them seem to be purely Normal-typed. The ones that are just normal would be then just Fairy if changed. Here's a list of possible ones on the internet.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7563346944/h2D27134A/

That list is silly. Lilligant's features and concept is more "fairy" than that of Deerling's :P and I can't recall a time where a Pokemon loses typing on evolution - only gains - so saying that Wigglytuff isn't "certain" is IMO a bit silly, too. If Jigglypuff is, so then will Wigglytuff! However, though probable, Igglybuff might not be and might inherit it upon evolution... going back to the whole aforementioned "gaining" of ypes on evolution.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I'm wondering in what way will the new Fairy type change the competitive metagame...will it fix the Dragon-type's supposed dominance over all other types?

Alexial

Well, that depends on whether or not they're going to be competitively viable. I mean, just because it could have good typing, doesn't mean it's stats, move pool, or any other facet are going to be up to par.

But, with any luck, there will be some good competition against dragons. I'm hopeful that this Fairy type can bring about a resurgence of stall.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
I am disappointed that it is called "Fairy." I mean, it's not a type; it is a classification. I mean, Snubbull, Granbull, CleFAIRY and Clefable were already a fairy before fairy was a type. They could have renamed it as "Light" and they would get the same thing. Plus, if it is called light then it would make sense that Dragon is weak to it, as they are always (or more often than not) portrayed as the pets of the darkness, along with any reptilian creature. But alas.

Anyway, on a more serious note. I think the said Pokemon above, plus Cleffa would all make the cut for the retyping. On the announced Pokemon, I have high hopes for Azumarill and Wigglytuff to gain a new type, but am in a big doubt for Ralts and Kirlia. They need to remain as a pure psychic type for Kirlia's evolution to Gallade, who is a Fighting-type. Among the legendary, Celebi is also a possible candidate, seeing as essentially a forest sprite. I also like to think that Misdreavous and Mismagius would gain the new type.

Competitively speaking, I am thinking that Dragon-types are screwed. I mean, GF made the new type to balance the overpowering capabilities of most Dragons. Unless they find a way to counter a fairy-type, I am seeing a whole new metagame that centers around Fairies, very much how Dark-types countered the Psychic back in Gen 2.

Draco Razr

Elite Dragon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2013
At first, I was disappointed that another type was added but have started to warm up to it. I don't really care about the name since Fairy/Light would have produced the same type effects. I think Fairy was a good call for the naming department. As the Dark and Steel types were added to balance out the over-powerful Psychic and the underused Fighting types in Generation 2, I believe it was a nice judgement to do the same for the powerful Dragon types. However I don't see Dragon types being phased out but has another type to contend with. Dragon type will always remain as the dominant form in the game.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Personally I think the name "Fairy" is more interesting than "Light"

When I think Fairy I think of magic, unpredictability, whimsical and maybe some mischievousness mixed in. When I think of Light I think of law, uniformity, a purpose of justness and stuffy boringness. Fairy isn't good necessarily, whereas with Light it's pretty much expected unless it's Light/Dark type. Fairy is a lot more versatile for the future.

Even though people are quick to interchange the two, in my eyes at least they're not very similar.

Years
  • Seen Sep 6, 2013
My general thoughts on the fairy type: I like it. It's a good compromise between what the fans wanted, and what the games needed. To me, fairy type is the long awaited light type, without the potentially negative consequences of that type. If there truly was a light type, that would demand that certain moves be retyped, thus damaging the Pokemon who belong to that type. "Light" screen anyone? Worst of all, Solarbeam and Sunny Day, the bread and butter of any grass or fire type sweeper would be totally destroyed. Also, the type's name is logical. Fairy was introduced to counter the slightly over powered Dragon type. Dragons and fairies are both mythical creatures, so it would make since that on would counter the other.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
That list is silly. Lilligant's features and concept is more "fairy" than that of Deerling's :P and I can't recall a time where a Pokemon loses typing on evolution - only gains - so saying that Wigglytuff isn't "certain" is IMO a bit silly, too. If Jigglypuff is, so then will Wigglytuff! However, though probable, Igglybuff might not be and might inherit it upon evolution... going back to the whole aforementioned "gaining" of ypes on evolution.

Actually there is one that does lose a type, Blossom, it loses the Poison typing. Which I find interesting to say the least... which is why I hope they tag Fairy to it so there'll no longer be any dual types that have lost a type upon evolution as of Gen VI.

I do agree though that Wigglytuff not getting it would be strange.

I hope thay the Skitty line gain the Fairy type.

Years
Actually there is one that does lose a type, Blossom, it loses the Poison typing. Which I find interesting to say the least... which is why I hope they tag Fairy to it so there'll no longer be any dual types that have lost a type upon evolution as of Gen VI.

I do agree though that Wigglytuff not getting it would be strange.

I hope thay the Skitty line gain the Fairy type.

You mean Bellossom. But yes he is right, it's pure Grass that evolves from Gloom, a Grass/Poison Pokemon. It's pretty odd I have to say, but I am hoping they might make it part-Fairy. And I'm pretty certain Wigglytuff will also be a Normal/Fairy-type, just being pure Normal would be weird for it. And the Skitty line I'm also hoping since it does need some new uses.

Splintey

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2014
Im all for it, they took a risk and I respect that we just need to see how well it was put together

Years
@MagmaRuby AquaSapphire - There's also Nincada whose dual type changes from bug/ground to bug/flying and bug/ghost.

With that being said I'm doubtful they will retype anything that is already dual-typed, especially legendaries.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
How is bug good against dark?
How is psychic good against poison?

It's Pokemon logic, get used to it. I know I already am. :)

How is Psychic good against Fighting? By an old saying ''Mind over body.''
How is Water good against Fire? Well put some water on a fire and its gone.
How is Fairy good against Dragons? Old mythologies told stories about Fairies killing evil dragons.
How is Fire good against Grass? Well, Fire burns Grass/Wood etc.
How is Bug good against Dark? Bug's are mostly active at night and therefore mostly adept at fighting in the "dark".
How is Bug good against Grass? Bugs eats grass.
How is Bug good against Psychic? Bugs break concentration despite how well your mental discipline is.
How is Psychic good against Poison? If you're strong mentally you can overcome the most dangerous and deadly fluids.
Every type and its weakness are based from real life.

I think that Fairy type is okey. Dragons really needs a new weakness because right now the Dragon type is just dominating.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
How is Fire good against Water? Well put some water on a fire and its gone.

What? That doesn't make sense XD

How is Fairy good against Dragons? Old mythologies told stories about Fairies killing evil dragons.
I have never read a myth like that. I've read over thousands of Dragon stories and myths, majority of them are real world equivalents with humans outsmarting dragons. Fantasy ones dragons are always immune to Magical attacks and Fairies (good and Evil) feared Dragons. The only time Magic could effect a Dragon is through mediums, Enchanted wapons or Magical chambers to trap dragons by enforcing the structure or making it immune to a Dragon's attempts to escape. Dragons themselves were never effected directly by Magic. In modern media, Dragons have some of the highest magical resistance to every type of Magic except special Dragon Slaying Arts which is a combination of Magic infused Martial arts.

How is Psychic good against Poison? If you're strong mentally you can overcome the most dangerous and deadly fluids.

This is not even close to being true. Being strong mentally will not save you from a cobra bite nor will it save you from severe poisonings from other substances. No amount of mental power will keep you alive when poisoned, only medication and proper medical treatment can save you.

There are many real world applications that don't make it to Pokemon games. Cold can overcome heat. More cold than heat can kill objects as well as pure cold can kill a fire faster than it normally burns. Flying types being weak to rock doesn't make any sense. Try throwing rocks at birds to see how many you can hit. Unless you have something that gives off a lot of speed and propulsion, you won't hit your mark. Though if you have something with enough speed and propulsion, metal can kill birds, plastic can kill birds, hell, wind can kill birds so why aren't Steel and Flying super effective against Flying type?

Too much water can kill plants, why can't Water be neutral or Super Effective to grass?

Electricity may pass through water, but it only effects objects within the water. If the water has no particles (Pure water) for the electricity to pass through then the electricity won't effect water. Why is Electric SE against water when the purest form isn't effected by it IRL?

As Archeops said. Its Pokemon Logic. It doesn't have to make sense to be applied. The company can say anything they want, make up anything they want and pass it off in their games.

I do not like Fairies because of the reason they exist. Don't like the design of a few of the new ones and hope there are some more menacing ones to come in the near future.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
Pokemon type effectiveness has always made sense to me. It requires a bit of abstract and imaginative thinking, but you can arrive at the reasoning behind them relatively easy if you are open to them. It's all a matter of perspective.

Like I said before, I'm not a fan of Dragon-type at all. It took some time, but I am definitely down with Fairy-type now. The name has sunk in and it isn't that bad if I call it Fae type in my head, haha. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that the type is diversified in regards to design, because I don't want it to become a "cute type".

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
What? That doesn't make sense XD

I have never read a myth like that. I've read over thousands of Dragon stories and myths, majority of them are real world equivalents with humans outsmarting dragons. Fantasy ones dragons are always immune to Magical attacks and Fairies (good and Evil) feared Dragons. The only time Magic could effect a Dragon is through mediums, Enchanted wapons or Magical chambers to trap dragons by enforcing the structure or making it immune to a Dragon's attempts to escape. Dragons themselves were never effected directly by Magic. In modern media, Dragons have some of the highest magical resistance to every type of Magic except special Dragon Slaying Arts which is a combination of Magic infused Martial arts.

This is not even close to being true. Being strong mentally will not save you from a cobra bite nor will it save you from severe poisonings from other substances. No amount of mental power will keep you alive when poisoned, only medication and proper medical treatment can save you.

There are many real world applications that don't make it to Pokemon games. Cold can overcome heat. More cold than heat can kill objects as well as pure cold can kill a fire faster than it normally burns. Flying types being weak to rock doesn't make any sense. Try throwing rocks at birds to see how many you can hit. Unless you have something that gives off a lot of speed and propulsion, you won't hit your mark. Though if you have something with enough speed and propulsion, metal can kill birds, plastic can kill birds, hell, wind can kill birds so why aren't Steel and Flying super effective against Flying type?

Too much water can kill plants, why can't Water be neutral or Super Effective to grass?

Electricity may pass through water, but it only effects objects within the water. If the water has no particles (Pure water) for the electricity to pass through then the electricity won't effect water. Why is Electric SE against water when the purest form isn't effected by it IRL?

As Archeops said. Its Pokemon Logic. It doesn't have to make sense to be applied. The company can say anything they want, make up anything they want and pass it off in their games.

I do not like Fairies because of the reason they exist. Don't like the design of a few of the new ones and hope there are some more menacing ones to come in the near future.

First, It does make sense to me about the water and fire explanation ok? :P

Second, I was talking more about the Asian mythology. Faries didn't kill them right away or didnt actually kill them but they were the once who helped humans to kill them by giving them strength against evil creatures and elements that could harm them. I'm not 100% sure but I know that I've read about it.

And then about the poison thing: I didnt state that you could cure yourself by being mentally stable lol. I've been watching Animal Planet way too much but after seeing that some people survived when they got bit by snakes and such while being mentally stable (some people were at least) while waiting for like medication I thought that it could be a good guess? :P

About the flying type being weak against rock makes sense to me since rocks can break their wings or make them fall if you hit the birds hard.

Also, even if everything may not make perfectly sense I still believe that 95% of all the 18 types makes perfectly sense in some way.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
First, It does make sense to me about the water and fire explanation ok? :P

You said Fire is strong against water because Water puts out fire. XD

Second, I was talking more about the Asian mythology. Faries didn't kill them right away or didnt actually kill them but they were the once who helped humans to kill them by giving them strength against evil creatures and elements that could harm them. I'm not 100% sure but I know that I've read about it.

Asian myths Dragons were gods and seen as creatures to respect and held considerable power and influence. Fairies were demonic in Asian myths and cause the humans to riot against the dragons by spinning tales of misdeeds to try and kill the dragons. The Fairies could not do anything to the dragons but Humans could kill dragons. Still goes along with Fairies were weaklings and them being strong against Dragons making no sense.

And then about the poison thing: I didnt state that you could cure yourself by being mentally stable lol. I've been watching Animal Planet way too much but after seeing that some people survived when they got bit by snakes and such while being mentally stable (some people were at least) while waiting for like medication I thought that it could be a good guess?

That has nothing to do with mentality. Doesn't matter how mentally stable you are, unless you get medication for a Snake bite you will not survive it. Psychic vs Poison is one of those types that makes no sense. Mental power will not stop poison from spreading through your body and killing you. Your immune system may allow you to last longer than another person and depending on how strong your body may be, but how mentally stable you are or how strong your mind is plays no part in whether you survive being poisoned. There are a lot of poisons that actually break concentration, they aren't meant to kill, but to confuse and cause delirium. By this Poison should be strong against Psychic types because they can naturally mess with the Psychic types main power supply, their minds.

About the flying type being weak against rock makes sense to me since rocks can break their wings or make them fall if you hit the birds hard.

You can break a bird's wing with plastic or even a really powerful gust of wind blasting against them. Flying and other types still are not Super Effective against Flying despite this. You can hit a bird hard with Water and prevent them from flying, bugs too, but Water isn't Super Effective against either.

Back