• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokémon: Phoenix Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Dragon pokemon from the start would ruin the mechanics of the game. It would need to be more typical Pokemon and types.

Ęℓαчиıı

Blizzagon used Arctic Claw!
Years
I don't personally see what the big deal is about the starters...

Gav has chosen a perfectly good set of starters. Sure, Chingling has a disadvantage against Poochyena due to its typing and its moves would have no effect, but, that's what the move Foresight is for.

Anyways, Gav!

The update was amazing and I'm very giddy to play this game~ :D

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
Here is an idea for the dark, psychic, and fighting starters. I realized that it was difficult to find pokemon with two evolution to make the triangle dynamic for the game-play; Apparently there are not that many pokemon that evolve twice.

280.gif
281.gif
282.gif

066.gif
067.gif
068.gif

551.gif
552.gif
553.gif

An alternative idea: I think that the original water, grass, and fire starters, are very balanced, although it might be nice to mix it up. But, I think there is good balance between these evolutionary lines, they are pure types, and have two evolutions each.

240.gif
126.gif
467.gif

406.gif
315.gif
407.gif

298.gif
183.gif
184.gif

These are just some ideas, but I don't think the ones now are horrible, I just think that some are generally forgettable/unpopular and the single evolutionary line isn't as appealing. But as you said, the taking to a pokemon is subjective.

Last edited:

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
Gavin has asked me to come up with starter combos since I'm superior to him in every way when it comes to this aspect of the game so (well superior in general but that is irrelevant):

Rock>Ice>Ground (example: Sudowoodo/Beartic/Donphan)

Fighting>Rock>Flying (example: Mienshao/Probopass/Xatu)

Dark>Psychic>Fighting (While not a true triangle due to an immunity being present instead of a resistance, it's widely accepted as one and as many know it's what's currently being used in the game: Bisharp/Beheeyem/Mienshao)

Suggestions of Triangles/Starters are welcomed as LONG AS THEY MAKE SENSE. So nothing like Farfetch'd/Machamp/Sudowoodo. Make sure the starters are similar to each other in strength and evolution method.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Ground/Electric/Water: I know, ground is immune to water, but I really like this type combo for some reason. (Example: Krookodile/Ampharos/Walrein)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I appreciate the suggestions, but Luke is right, they need to make sense. I like this, however, the evolution methods are all over the place. They need to be all by level, or else I'll have to change the methods. Which I can do but I'd like to keep the game relative to other official games in this sense.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
551.gif
574.gif
532.gif
How about this one? Although Conkeldurr, evolves via trade, I am assuming that you are not going to have trade level ups. They each have two evolutions. Plus, Gothita/gothitelle can learn grass knot, and energy ball via tm if needed to stand a chance against Krookodile.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Every review on the starters so far has been completely irrelevant due to the fact that the type triangle does not come into play in the game. No one other than yourself has actually complained about the choices, that they dislike them.

I really don't see a decent alternative, because everyone likes different Pokemon, so it's subjective to taste. I personally like all of them. I didn't like any of the starters in DPP, or B&W. So I cannot please everyone. I don't think changing the starters is going to change the popularity of the game.

In saying this, I'm open to discussion on new starter choices. If anything props up that might be a better decision I'm happy to consider it strongly.
I freakin' love Makuhita, man! D:

Either way, I don't see why everyone is complaining about the starter choices. Type-wise, they balance each other in terms of weaknesses and resistances, (even though chingling would have no effect on Pooch), second I feel they are balanced stat-wise, having a choice of physical offense (Poochyena), Defense (Makuhita), and special offense/defense (Chingling). The only problem with Chingling, however, is that its evolution method is completely different from the rest of the starters (evolving by happiness, not by level), in that regard, I'd say Drowzee would be a good replacement, being that it has a single evolution and evolves at a level that is close with the rest of the starters.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
What about
Fire/Water/Grass(Numel, Wailmer, Cacnea) or (Pansage, Pansear, Panpour )

I like the first better but these are just ideas...

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
If you don't mind me asking, is there a need for the trio? If it doesn't hold any significance, then why not give the player one starter, and the rival another with no choice involved? That way all you need to worry about is two pokemon that match up together in whatever way you please.

Pokemon Master N

Champion Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2012
What about Riolu, Chingling and Zora? They might only evolve once but they all evolve by happiness in the day time!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

With Conans post, I think maybe you could give them Spiritomb or Sabeleye!

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
What about Riolu, Chingling and Zora? They might only evolve once but they all evolve by happiness in the day time!

Chingling evolves at night
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Chingling

Conan does bring up a point, though. If the player is not going to challenge a rival who is going to match up the player's starter, than there is little point in having it. It at least gives player's options, however.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
This game looks amazing. It's appealing story-wise and visually. And I love the custom music. Props to you Abnegation, and your entire team, this is a brilliant project.

And to add to the current starter debate, I'd say there's really nothing wrong with the current set. In my eyes, at least - especially if type match-ups don't really come into play with them. And don't a lot of people get rid of their starters after a while, anyway?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
If you don't mind me asking, is there a need for the trio? If it doesn't hold any significance, then why not give the player one starter, and the rival another with no choice involved? That way all you need to worry about is two pokemon that match up together in whatever way you please.
Trio is not necessary. And one pokemon could even suit, but I like to offer choice. And remember guys, I want more consistent evolution method than anything. I basically want to see a starter line that a lot of people like. I personally like my current, but I don't mind changing. I don't mind the Fire, Water, Grass trio either.

So continue the debate, this is interesting.

HallwayKid

The Illogical Scientist
Years
I like the current trio.

I don't see the problem with psychic not affecting dark. It's always normal moves to start off so typing doesn't matter for the first battle. In future battles you will have access to different move types or you could just catch other Pokemon.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Honestly I dont mind the current starters because I always been a big fan of Mightyena more of a fan of my Crobat and Camelrupt but Mightena is a good dark type. As for Mukuhita(Think i spelled it wrong) he's ok I think he can be a little too powerful for a starter... but maybe i'm wrong.. poochena is horrible as a pup, and the other pokemon i forgot who he is but I am not a fan of him. I'm not really sure which way you should go

My vote sticks with, NUMEL, WAILMER, CACNEA but these are my choices which i think make a very balanced trio of starters...

but if your not partial to a trio Zangoose and Seviper could be good starters, rival pokemon for rival trainers...

that is my opinion, keep up the good work on this i am loving the games look...

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Wow, this looks so cool! I mean you have the graphics and characters nailed to a point. I will defiantly be ready to play this.

Years
  • Seen May 7, 2023
how about grass>ground>poison (
420.gif
>
231.gif
>
316.gif
)
all of them one stage evo and pure type...evo at lvl 25 except gulpin lvl 26 and they all cute for starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back