• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
Years
Appart from working with The Spherians team on Pokemon Chromatite I started another project that I'll be making with a friend in RPG Maker 2003, I guess the reason why I accepted the challange to do this is because I would like to see how hard it is to create a nice game in RM2K3 but don't worry, I'll still give more priority to Chromatite :P

The Story, you start in a small island called Placeta Island in the Phoenix Archipelago, the only people that live there are you, your dad and Professor Anna, one day you save a little poochyena from drowning and the professor decides to let you choose 3 pokemon, you will have to travel through the Phoenix Archipelago and collect all badges, once you pass the league then you an go to the next region, the engine will be pretty much like Chromatite, made with choice, you can have various jobs like thieve and so on and you don't need a certain order to get the badges (ther will be even more badges than necessary to compete in the league). Of course my main concern is to get the engine ready, then the story, etc will be easy to make.

For the time being I only have a picture of Placeta Island, expect more screens soon:
PlacetaIsland.png

--EDIT--
I'm still thinking about how you will travel, my first guess is that in the beginning you will get a boat to travel around, then later you can use surf.

Datriot

Tachikama!!!
Years
true, true, but people have created very sophisticated systems using rm2k3's events.
Once you get the hang of it, it becomes easy to create systems like a CMS and stuff.
CBS would be a bit trickier though.

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
Neat. Haven't ever seen a pokemon island that looked so cosy, mate. XD

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
Years
the island is actually just a small island on the coast of a big one :P
I am pleased to say that jumping system works fine (I know it's not a big thing but ye...) and I'll soon have the footprints on sand and snow working, I hope. I actually need a little help on how to find out when the hero is on a certain terrain type :)

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
That makes me remember rm2k3kid's old work. Good luck overcoming the obstacles.

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
Years
ye, for that I really need a way to find out if hero is on terrain type 1/2/3, etc because then I can play a certain animation like footprints, grass effect and so on :)

Datriot

Tachikama!!!
Years
I can help with this:
First use 2 variables to store the player's X and Y position, then go to the event command "Store Terrain ID".
Once there you'll be asked to select the tile you wish to store the terrain ID of or get the tile from two variables, (the ones you set before)
And which variable you wish to set the terrain ID to.
Simple!
Man, I used to love using events in the old days, but I've moved onto RGSS now.

Last edited:

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
Years
ye, I noticed that a while ago, but for some reason the animation only plays when I exit the grass tiles not when I am walking through them xD

Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2005
hello people I am the friend that makes the game with [_darkDragon_].
The project is very nice, it isn't?

Datriot

Tachikama!!!
Years
[_DarkDragon_] said:
ye, I noticed that a while ago, but for some reason the animation only plays when I exit the grass tiles not when I am walking through them xD

Gah! The incompetance of rm2k3 is shameful....

Hi biohazard, yeah it looks promising at the moment. ;)

Datriot

Tachikama!!!
Years
[_DarkDragon_] said:
oh well, I guess I'll have to make it with events OR find a way for the animation to play fine :P

Events could be a bad idea, because it could get laggy if you put to many, although
rm2k3 can handle more events on the same map than RMXP. So I think you should try that out and it's too laggy try and find another way. ;)

Silon

Amber for Ever!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 30, 2016
Hey, the game looks great! Can't wait to see more!
Do you need a mapper? I've been known to make some maps.
Just PM me if you like. :) Toodles!

Happy Gaming,
Silon Vakaro.

pokemonctrivieratown3tt.png

Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2006
I think that the game will get to laggy if you put too many events. Maybe you should do something like pokemon illusions. Where the pokemon are actually visible. Just a suggestion.

The game looks great by the way, I am hoping it wont slow down your other game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back