• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can you read music?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Simple question; are you able to read music? If so, what made you want to learn? Do you prefer using music sheets or tabs? What makes you prefer one style of reading over the other?

For me, tabs are much easier to read as I've used them since I first learnt to play the guitar due to my music teacher not actually being able read sheet music (I know :p) so I'm used to the reading style, but I can read sheet music too given a few minutes. Sheet music tends to be a bit more detailed with how exactly to play the music, but I prefer the convenience of tabs. One thing I've always wanted to be able to do is play music by ear but there's a long way to go before reaching that stage haha.

EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FOOD in their FACE! (Man I hope that's a world-wide mnemonic or I'm about to little pretty stupid!)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I was in band in middle school so I know how to read music. I can read tab too, but that's only useful if you already know the rhythm so I like having the combination of rhythm and music. Tbh I'm a little holier-than-thou when it comes to tabs vs. music - kind of like the difference between reading a book for a book report and reading the Sparknotes.

Edit: Every Good Band Does Fine is what I learned. >_o

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2020
I can't but I've always wanted to. I sing a lot so learning off the sheet would be a whole lot easier then learning by ear.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
I play by ear only, and I've come up with my own ghetto system for writing songs. I was taught to read at a very young age but I failed to retain the knowledge. :( I've been successful at teaching piano before, imagine what I could do if I could actually read music! One of these days I'll start educating myself on music theory so I can make a career out of my skills in music.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I can read music, as well as understand the note lengths, like Crotchet, Quaver, Minim, Semi Breve etc. I know 2 time signatures: the 4/4 and the one which is a Waltz (3/4).

I don't seem to understand some time signatures, like 5/4, 6/4, anything that goes above the second number. What exactly does it mean?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I play by ear only, and I've come up with my own ghetto system for writing songs.
I'm really curious, what is this 'ghetto system' for writing songs? I can't really imagine a new way for illustrating what to play, I'd love to hear about it/see it if you don't mind sharing? :3

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I can read music very well and I much prefer sheet music to anything else, since that's what I've been used to since I joined band in the sixth grade (nearly six years ago) on the trombone. I can also use SmartMusic, a program designed to aid performance skills and basic notes/rhythms, etc. Either way is plenty fine for me.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I have never been able to use or read tabs, however, I had piano lessons from an early-ish age (up to grade 8 conservatory) and so yes, I can read music :3

I find I am better at sight-reading than trying to play things by ear.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I can read music, as well as understand the note lengths, like Crotchet, Quaver, Minim, Semi Breve etc. I know 2 time signatures: the 4/4 and the one which is a Waltz (3/4).

I don't seem to understand some time signatures, like 5/4, 6/4, anything that goes above the second number. What exactly does it mean?

The top number is how many beats are in a measure and the bottom is what kind of beat is the base for that measurement. 4/4 is 4 quarter notes per measure; similarly, 3/8 is 3 eighth notes per measure.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
I'm really curious, what is this 'ghetto system' for writing songs? I can't really imagine a new way for illustrating what to play, I'd love to hear about it/see it if you don't mind sharing? :3
Oh definitely! Sorry I didn't see this post sooner.

a. b: c:. d::

Each letter is a note, each dot is a...length of time. Beat, I suppose. Like in sheet music, I'll stack the letters to indicate notes being played at the same time, and I have various symbols for things like pauses and odd note transfers. I use the same sharp and flat symbols as in regular sheet music. I don't calculate beat per measure, I usually can figure it out from memory. Most of what I write aren't full songs, but unique combinations of sounds I find that I don't want to forget.

So nothing too complicated or fancy, just letters n' dots, mostly :) hope you're not disappointed!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
I can only read treble clef.

How has nobody who stated they can read music mentioned which clef they can read in?

Back