• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Did you use the interactable Volcarona in your team?

Did you?

• Of course!

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Of course not!

Votes: 13 59.1%

• Total voters
Years
On Pokémon Black and White there is a Level 70 Volcarona at the Relic Castle but you can only get it after beating Ghetsis. On Black 2 and White 2 you can get a Volcarona at Level 35 after beating the Driftveil gym leader and doing some PWT stuff. It's at the relic castle, but you can only get there by going through the relic pass near the PWT place. Be prepared to catch it (if you're planning too).

So... did you use it?

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I only caught it after the E4 so my team was already fixed so i didn't really use it except in PWT.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
In the Black version, I'm currently using it. I have a crap nature (-Speed), but the thing was difficult to catch so I decided to keep it anyway.

In Black 2 I don't plan to use it because I already have Growlithe. I also won't use the Mandibuzz in Route 4 because it's very difficult to catch even with Dusk Balls.

Years
Sadly, on both occasions I couldn't catch Volcarona, cos it was just too hard to catch, I decided to give up and knocked it out.

And I already had Chandelure for my planned Fire-type, plus Pokemon with a 4x Rock weakness never usually make it onto my team.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I only caught it for the Pokedex, at the moment its probably sitting bored in the PC box. My team is already selected, so no need to add any other Pokemon.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
Well and I caught it and boxed it on white, but caught it and bred it on black 2 does breeding it count as using it ? if not No I did not use it

Sirfetch’d

I caught it both times and used it both times. I love Volcarona and it was a valuable member of my team both times.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I caught the Volcarona in White relatively recently - late in the post-game - and caught the one in B2 fairly early, because I went through Relic Cave about as soon as possible. I haven't done anything with any of them yet though - either the Volcaronas or the Larvesta from the egg out on the island in B/W. It's self-evidently a good pokemon, so I just haven't gotten around to using one, since there's not going to be any surprise when I find out that it's a good pokemon. I imagine I'll use one sooner or later, but I'm in no hurry.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
The Volcarona in B/W comes too late to use in an in-game team, and the one in B/W 2 doesn't get any decent attacks until like 25-30 levels later, so I've never used one. You pretty much have to deal with Fire Spin and some other crappy attacks until almost the time you beat the game, so there are far better Fire options for most of the main storyline.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I caught it, but I didn't use it as I already had my own stronger and well-trained Volcarona evolved from the Larvesta hatched from the egg obtained at Route 18. Comparing my own level 50+ Volcarona to the newly caught level 70 one in terms of stats, guess which one was higher.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Pretty much what Mork said, Volcorona in BW2 seriously sucks to where it's not worth bothering with unless you're the really patient type now.

Ace.

Love Yourself
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 29, 2015
Nope. Sadly I didn't use the Volcarona. I didn't really like it before but now I'm really starting to like it. The main reason why I didn't use it cause I killed it because I didn't have Pokeballs with me at the moment nor did I bother to restart from my previous savepoint to buy Pokeballs since I was lazy and I already have a fire type for my team which was Emboar.

Years
  • Age 23
  • No.
  • Seen May 1, 2014
I used Volcarona, it's a big part of my team. I only used it in my Japanese Black 2 though.
I never used it in the English version, I used Flygon instead

Student D1

De-Wott?
Years
Of course!... not.

In both White and White 2, my team is already fixed by the time I encounter this Fire/Bug-type Pokémon. Catching it was indeed a problem, but I was able to catch it using an Ultra Ball after 5-6 re-encounters. After that, I just kept it in the PC Storage.

There are many other Fire-type Pokémon that are way stronger than Volcarona, and they may have a better movepool than it. In my White, I already have a Chandelure, and in my White 2, I own a Growlithe.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
There are many other Fire-type Pokémon that are way stronger than Volcarona, and they may have a better movepool than it. In my White, I already have a Chandelure, and in my White 2, I own a Growlithe.[/COLOR]

The fact Volcarona has Quiver Dance alone would mean it's already better than Chandelure and Arcanine, but it also has a gigantic Special Attack stat and just about every move it needs to eliminate the opposition. Its only flaw is a big Rock weakness, and maybe a inferior Ability, but its Ability covers its poor physical defensive side quite well. You won't want to attack Volcarona with a Special move, but a physical contact move may burn you.

Volcarona is faster than Chandelure and has higher attacking stats than Arcanine. Arcanine can go mixed, but Volcarona has dual-STAB. It's the undisputed best Fire-type Pokémon in the game, and might even be better than Reshiram itself. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise...

EDIT: Since it learns a move only every 10 levels, it's wise not to use Volcarona during the story, though. But my argument still stands.

Last edited:

B-L-A-Z-E

リズ
Years
When I first played through black 2 I used it and it was a terrible experience . The only decent move it had through most of the main game was signal beam, which I had to get from a move tutor.

Years
In White, I caught it just so I could have it in my Pokedex, but I didn't end up using it, since my team was well planned out by that point.

The same kind of goes for White 2. I already had a Growlithe on my team that I was ready to evolve, and I had my Houndoom I traded over from White, so I didn't need another Fire type with me.

Back