• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What was your first Pokèmon game??

Kyeto

Pokemon Professor
Years
My first was Pokemon Yellow. I managed to convinve my friend to lend me his gameboy and from then i continusly played that game until Pokemon Silver came my way.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I started with Platinum. Why did I pick it? I was eight and it was the latest thing out. Obviously I wanted it after years of watching my sister battle with digital monsters. The newest game was bound to be the best. I was really late to the series but I don't regret picking it up. Better late than never! The experience has been magic ever since. :]

Marionz

New to 6th Gen
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 27, 2013
Pokemon Red > Pokemon Yellow > Pokemon Crystal > Pokemon Emerald > Pokemon Platinum > Pokemon HG/SS > Pokemon B/W > Pokemon Y

Years
Pokemon Yellow. I remember when my Dad came into my room when I was really young and gave it to me. I was so excited to play it!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 1, 2013
250px-Crystal_EN_boxart.jpg

I actually stole it from my babysitter's house and played it on a translucent purple GBC that my brother "found" at school. My family was stingy.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 23, 2017
Pokemon Red & Blue. I got both of these games as a Christmas gift from my grandma plus a Pokemon Game Boy Colour. I played Red more than Blue, thus, Red is all beaten up and Blue is in great condition. I later started choosing a version later on. (Silver, then Crystal, then Sapphire, then FireRed, and then Emerald) I later got LeafGreen after I lost FireRed. :/
I got into the GameCube and bought Colosseum and rented XD. I eventually bought XD and beat both versions with ease. (I used 2 Umbreons :p)
When Diamond & Pearl came out, I decided to buy both of them, but got more into Diamond and gave my Mom Pearl (She is a die-hard Pokemon fan) I bought Platinum, then Soulsilver, then Black, then Black 2. And finally, I bought X. :D
Now, don't get me started on the other Pokemon games (Trozei, Dash, Channel, Rumble, etc...)

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
Myself and my best friend always got the counterparts of each other's games so we can trade. I got Blue, Gold, Sapphire, Diamond, and White- he's got Red, Silver, Ruby, Pearl, and Black. He's also got Black 2.

I'm a little behind. My life has been pretty hectic these past few years, so I haven't even finished White yet, and completely skipped B/W2.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 25, 2014
My first Pokemon game was Pokemon Blue Version. My brother and I played that game everyday after school. It was hilarious because my brother used his Raichu so wrong, he literally only used Mega Kick, and if it missed, he got so mad LOL.

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2014
Pearl. So many memories of Gen IV. I almost want Platinum for faster battles and Distortion World, but I'm waiting for what GF has up their sleeves.

Sinjuda

Newbie Breeder
Years
Original Blue. Mom and dad gave it to me as a b-day gift at the park. I to this day Do not know how a 6 year old jumped half his height off the ground in enjoyment.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Aug 1, 2021
First game I ever played was Blue, I had to borrow my friend's copy and Gameboy because I didn't have one at the time... A few years later when gold a silver came out I was able to get a Gameboy color from another friend. Then I quickly went out and bought Red, Blue and Gold and Silver. Still have all four games... good times =P

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
My first was Pokemon Blue, which I shared with my brother. Well, I'm honestly not quite sure whether I shared it with him, or if it was just his and I borrowed it all the time. But in any case, it was the first Pokemon game I ever played. And boy did I play it. A lot of hours have definitely been wasted with that game, and the fun thing is, I never really made much progress in it most of the time, partly because my brother was usually the one playing through the game, and I wasn't allowed to go any further. So a quite restricted experience :p

The first game I ever personally owned was Silver though. After having loved Blue, and while still being a big-time fan of the franchise in general, my mom bought both generation 2 games for me and my brother, and thus, I finally had my own game to play through and do with as I liked. And even more time was spent with that game, and I finally actually managed to get some progress into the games :p

I don't own either of the two anymore though. I let a friend of mine borrow my Silver, and he somehow ended up losing it, and I gave away Blue along with my Gameboy Advance SP and a bunch of other games to one of my friends who didn't have the money to get a system themself, so I was without a Pokemon game for quite a lot of years honestly, and only recently got one again when I bought Black 2 and borrowed a friends' DS which he never used anyways :p

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 2, 2022
Pokémon Yellow for me.
Friends of mine owned red/blue and we talked about it one day. I still remember them lying to me and telling me, you could choose any of the 150 Pokémon as the starter Pokémon. lol I think I actually believed it at some point.

It was a pain in the ass to get my parents to buy it for me, but it was ****ing worth it. It shaped my childhood so much.
We played Pokémon for hours... Endlessly...
Fighting each other via link cable was kind of a friendship killer though. I remember countless heated arguments with a friend about how unfair sleeping moves are and he was (and still is) a sore loser.

I also remember vividly that we used to walk around with the Game Boys in our hands playing Pokémon. We even walked over benches and stuff just while playing. I remember I was going through the Victory Road in the game (maybe for the first time) and for some stupid reason I was walking backwards over a bench while playing. Of course I fell down with the back hitting the ground. But I didn't care about myself. I just panicky checked if the game is okay (and luckily it was).
I will never forget that.

Man, that was an awesome time.

-- Matt

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
Years
Diamond actually. I bought it one day in a store when it caught my eye, I was really bored and staying in an apartment for a month with my parents when they were seeing their friends in a different state. So I beat the game out of complete boredom, and I loved it. I soon after bought pearl, then platinum. Platinum I think is my favorite as of today.

I now have played most every main series Pokemon game (Not XD or any others like that), whether rom version or not.

Jet Pilot

I killed Spiderman.
Years
Pokemon Yellow, my cousin gave me his for Christmas since I always bugged him about playing his Pokemon games. Well worth it, half of the people I know is because of Pokemon.

NRG

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 9, 2015
I got red and blue at release and then yellow when it released too. I got a lime green gameboy colour to play them on.

edit: just remembered it wasn't launch, because my cousin got blue and i used to play it with her on her yellow gameboy pocket before i got mine. must've been a few weeks after launch because I remember she had a blastoise and a beedrill (and I evolved those lol).

When second gen arrived I got Gold. 2nd gen was sooooooo much better than first gen in every way. I played it so much that the catridge flash memory has died. You can start new games on it and save, but when you go to load there's nothing there.

I skipped 3rd gen as people had gone off it. then when diamond came out I bought that. skipped fifth gen and now I'm back with both x and y.

Years
My first Pokemon game was Pokemon Yellow!

I remember my grandmother buying it for me back in 1999. I didn't know she had bought it for me so it was a wonderful surprise. I think around that time I had been getting very immersed in all things Pokemon so she probably predicted that I would like the game.

I loved playing Yellow; it probably why Pikachu is still my favorite Pokemon!

Back