• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Got a 3DS/3DS XL?

Got a 3DS/3DS XL

• Already did!

Votes: 88 68.2%
  • Not yet!

Votes: 38 29.5%
  • Never will!

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters
Years
Some savings tips for college students especially:

I bought an XL on Cowboom (Best Buy affiliate) for $125!!!!! (Saved $75)
I totally sniped the auction, though they also have very good deals for "buy it now" pre-owned 3DS consoles.

I recommend going to Cowboom if you are frugal, like myself. It is much cheaper than Ebay or Amazon which usual overestimate resale value. Though, I have seen pretty good deals every once in a blue moon on Amazon. I went to buy a standard 3DS on there for $85 in "very good" condition, and it was gone by the time I clicked to order it :(

Normally on cowboom, the prices are $135 for the 3DS XL and $108/115 for the 3DS. However, check the images and description to see extent of wear. Mine was in much better shape than most. Also, there were no scratches on the screen, a tiny one near the buttons, and some minor ones on the outside shell (which I will cover-up anyway).

Before heading there though, I would recommend craigslist. I live in a rural area, far far away from any substantive population, soo, I had no luck on there, unless I drove 3 hours south. However, if you are not an adult, please don't use this site, or at least have your parent/guardian go with you. Actually, even us adults should have someone go with us. Also, be vigilant of anything that seems WAY too good to be true. For instance, a 3DS XL Brand New for $50! ...Come on, don't end up a victim of some scam. This goes for any online purchase.

Even though I have mine ordered I will get back to everyone on the actual condition of the system as well as any other promising sites I come across. Since it is a Best Buy affiliated site, that has great reviews, I am hopeful. Good Luck on your 3DS hunting.

Years
I got the 3DS soon after it launched, when Nintendo reduced the price to $170 I felt the biggest buyer's remorse ever, even if free 20 games were given away. I got sucked into the "3D technology" but to be fair it's a clever marketing move by Nintendo.

I'll get the Black 3DS XL when they come out in 2 weeks time, I really don't like the currently available colors.

TheUnown

Super Lurker
Years
  • Seen Jul 1, 2015
Bought the Pikachu 3DS XL about a month ago. I was going to wait a little bit longer to buy one, hoping they would announce some new colors like mint, but it was a slim probability so I decided not to wait x3.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
I'm horrendously broke, so I haven't gotten one yet. I probably will wait to get one until I'm able to get the game.

Years
I already got 3DS but I think I will buy 3DS XL pokemon X & Y special edition if it will be available in europe :)

Years
I got my blue 3DS XL just a week or two after Pokemon X/Y were announced, and it was almost exclusively for those games. I was planning to wait until the release was much closer, but they had a really good deal at Best Buy when I got it, so I figured why bother waiting when I'm going to get it anyway.

Years
  • Seen May 31, 2020
Got one in August 2011 for my birthday, not really used it, but got it in advance ready for the next generation Pokémon games haha!

Kishijoten

CEO of trouble making~
Years
I do have a 3DS XL! I'm so glad I ended up buying one because the graphics will defiantly be worth to see on Pokemon x and y~

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I never intended to get a 3DS until Pokemon games were released for it, but my mom got me one last Christmas because she knew my DS Lite was breaking. Even though it wasn't planned, I am glad she got me one because now I don't have to worry about purchasing one to play X and Y.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I got one in anticipation of the Gen 6 announcement last summer, I knew eventually Pokemon would make it's way onto the system, though I didnt like any games for it when I first bought it, but I am all set for X/Y

Years
My xl came in from Cowboom. Not one scuff or scratch, had a stylus, charger (not included with XL normally), the AR cards, Club Nintendo Membership, User Manual, and the original box! I am shocked!

It was supposed to have light scuffs and/or scratches with no accessories other than the actual console.

Again, I paid $125.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
My xl came in from Cowboom. Not one scuff or scratch, had a stylus, charger (not included with XL normally), the AR cards, Club Nintendo Membership, User Manual, and the original box! I am shocked!

It was supposed to have light scuffs and/or scratches with no accessories other than the actual console.

Again, I paid $125.

I would like to have this for that price, pretty much everywhere I checked it started at 140$ with no charger or stick and it had some scratch on it.

Years
I would like to have this for that price, pretty much everywhere I checked it started at 140$ with no charger or stick and it had some scratch on it.

I checked Cowboom, right now they only have $135 XL's, a couple with a 5 rating (out of 8), which is minor scuffs or scratches, though no charger or stylus, which mine was advertised as and actually had. With shipping tax, it might be $142 or so. Also, Amazon has a couple for $140 plus $6 shipping. Which is very low by amazon standards! I would keep your eye on both of those sites. Also, keep an eye on the auctions at cowboom. I saw it there and just went to buy it now, for the $125, I was like really? The 20 people bidding are gonna run up the price to 125 overnight, I am gonna buy it now, since it was in great condition and the small chance that I could get it maybe 4 dollars cheaper was not worth the risk. I think the auctions allows for the owner to sell, and the store to get a commission, but they seem lower than the store pre-owned prices, which are still very good. So yeah, I'd check it out from time to time.

Let's see, have you tried Craigslist? I find that a good number of people are willing to sell cheaper that Ebay Users or Online Stores since Gamestop has a $60, yes a $60 trade-in value! And Amazon has a $105 trade-in value, but only for an Amazon Gift Card. The point being, people are willing to sell their XL's around $100/$120 if they are really strapped for cash, and they usually have the basic accessories. I am not sure where you are from, but if you live in or near the city, I'd look into it.

Well, I hope this helps. Everyone deserves a 3DS XL in order to witness greatness of the X and Y games. Even us cheapskates :p

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Well I'm Canadian so I can be limited for something like Craigslist. And I could be even more limited just because of my province which is Quebec.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I got my 3DS XL, 3 weeks after the games where announced. X&Y was the main reason I wanted a 3DS, didn't matter if it was XL at that time or not. In early February, my grandma got me one as a gift. Originally I was going to save money every month and hopefully by October I would have enough for one.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I have a launch day 3DS which is really tattered but I'm not replacing it until the 3DSi or 3DS+ is out. It still does the job though, although the d-pad on it has a bit of it's paint chipped off.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I do not think there will be a 3DSi since the normal 3DS already has a camera which is why i was in DSi. Not to mention the XL came out after DSi and the 3DSXL is already out.

I have the money for a new 3DS, but I am saving for a XL. I have a DSiXL atm and I doubt I can go back to a smaller screen. And I rather not buy a used game system. I prefer to buy one new.

Back