• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What part annoyed you the most in R/B/Y?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Any tunnels/caves with Zubat/Golbat in em, besides the obvious Cerulean Cave with Mewtwo and Wobbuffet. :)
I also really hated the super complicated cave puzzles. One reason, the *countless* Zubats that attacked, second, they were freakin' impossible! Like, trying to figure out where to move what boulder and what path to take while a thousand Zubats attacked every second, probably worse than hell. -_-

It says R/B/Y, not FR/LG. Wobbuffet shouldn't be there.

And In R/B It was Rocktunnel
In Y ... it was brock >.<

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I love the 1st gen, but I didn't like the way they described battles. "I'm going to make my Pokemon fight so it can get stronger!" I know why animal cruelty groups were suspicious. Now Pokemon battles are more friendly, sporty, and not against the Pokemon's will, but in the 1st gen, it just seemed cruel from the way they were talking about it.

Lashh

Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Age 31
  • AZ
  • Seen Aug 8, 2011
Always getting easily defeated by Brock when I first challenged him in Pokemon Yellow. Overall, the thing that annoyed me the most in this generation of games was the fact that Poke Balls could miss, and often would so in the Safari Zone. Lost opportunities on rare Pokemon sure so suck, I'll tell ya.
Another thing that annoyed me in RBY was going through the Sea Foam Islands for the first time- so confusing the first time around, haha.

Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 28, 2011
I'm glad other people agree that they had trouble with Brock like i did in Yellow. I have to admit that was the most annoying part for me, but i thought it was just because i was young and it was my first ever Pokemon game.

Hassan_Abdillah

Wayfarer
Years
The lack of a decent psychic pokemon.

Also, Sabrina's psychic gym. It always gets me confused. Same thing with team rocket buildings...teleporting tiles :/

I'm glad other people agree that they had trouble with Brock like i did in Yellow. I have to admit that was the most annoying part for me, but i thought it was just because i was young and it was my first ever Pokemon game.

I usually catch a nidoran early in the game if I can afford it, and it learns double kick pretty soon. And fighting pwns rock-type.

Hassan_Abdillah

Wayfarer
Years
You mean that Alakazam, Starmie, Slowbro, Mew and Mewtwo were anything but decent in RBY?

As for mewtwo, you get it much later in the game.

As for mew, I don't know how to get it.

As for Alakazam...I play on emulator so trading is impossible.

Ive never tried Starmie or Slowbro. I looked up their stats now from pokemon marriland pokedex and turns out both of them have decent stats. Guess I kinda missed out.

And yeah, to me decent mean strong (offense-wise).

Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2017
When I first played it, the boulder puzzle in Seafoam Island gave me the most trouble. I remember having to ask my brother's friend for help getting past that part.

Rock Tunnel was pretty hard without Flash, but still manageable with memorization, patience, and careful attention to graphics and sound.

Nowadays, the only part that really bothers me the the size of Mt. Moon. At least Rock Tunnel was narrow and linear, while the other dungeons had unique variations. Mt. Moon, on the other hand, had so much empty space, I'd have to fend off many wild Pokemon just to get from one wall to the other.

GXS

<---Following Red ;P
Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2012
any part where i had to use flash, it seemed sooo uneccecary to me, but thats just my opinion lol :P

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2011
The thing I hated the most about R/B/Y was the item system and not being able to hold more than 20 items was ridiculous I can't tell you how many times I would be in a cave or rocket base and have to leave to go empty my backpack in the nearest pokemon center. Even when I replayed Red last week, I couldn't store enough items in my PC.

Another thing I hated about Gen 1 was how necessary a guide was just do know what a particular move or item did. Sure you could trial and error, but how do I know for sure that I want to delete an old move for this new one when I don't know what this new one is. And this was before wikis or even gamefaqs.com and the only source of this knowledge was printed guides, but even then they were riddled with errors. I owned 3 different guides for R/B and a fourth for Yellow, just so I could be sure what was right.

竜の子

Avy made by Trainer Touko
Years
The ponly things I hater about RBY are

limited item capacibilty

and

pressing down on the mart would be 99 items and not how much of that item you could afford

But i still love the games ^^

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2011
I only got Yellow, but the most annoying part I think would be fighting Brock with a Pikachu :L It was so difficult, and the shows don't help me at all. Inshow: "PIKACHU, ATTACK THE WATERSPOUTERS!" Ingame: "Doesn't effect ONIX..."

Frisky Arcanine

Jumpluff Hugger
Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2011
So much hate for the Lavender theme, it was one of my favorites D:

I'm gonna have to say Victory Road - all those fricken encounters. And darkness. And worrying about finding/catching Moltres.. and the encounters. And the darkness. I still dread victory road in every game, but despite the ridiculous encounter rate in B/W it seemed watered down in comparison (no boulders!)

Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2011
Most of the caves (Zubat and Geodude every couple seconds. Uh, no.), Lavender Town's tune (it kind of creeped me out as a kid), Rocket areas with the spinning and annoying confusion of mazes, the step counter in Safari Zone (because it took me a few tries to find the Warden's Teeth), and of course the Cycling Road where you try every way to avoid people and still end up failing. >_>

Exactly all of this!! Especially caves even now i still hate them although its woobat and boldore attcking now!!

Smitty.

Forget who you were.
Years
Rock Tunnel, trying to get past Vermillion City, couldn't figure out how to get out of that place.

Agreed. Rock Tunnel was actually the abomination that caused many of my friends to give up on RBY all those years ago...

The glitches also ruined the games for me during my youth. All my friends would claim whatever Pokémon their name gave them through the MissingNo. Glitch and abuse their instant-sweeper whenever we battled. -_-

Not joining in was a moment of pride I look back on to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back