• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
My school....is Catholic. Let's start there, lol.

There's a very large, very active unofficial GSA on campus. They've been applying every year consistently for about 15 years, and have been rejected every single year. The reasoning the school gives is that we already have a "Core Council", which is a group of 9 people that decides how LGBT issues and events are handled on campus. The GSA has tried to convince the school that 9 people hand-picked out of a crowd isn't the same as allowing an official club, but I think they're afraid that the older Catholic crowd won't donate anymore if they start supporting a GSA (since being a club means that they get a set amount of money every year from the school).

There was also that scandal the spring before I came here where the school newspaper completely messed up in the comic section...they drew a few characters (a pitchfork and a shovel I believe) making an extremely homophobic joke that I'd rather not repeat. The point of it was that those characters were "tools" for doing so, but people misunderstood and the entire thing was a huge debacle.

Then there were the gay shirts, which were before my time as well...for a few days a lot of people went around campus wearing shirts that said "Gay? Go to hell." That's when the GSA started the campaign of giving away free shirts that say "Gay? Fine by me." and asking us to wear them on certain days, lol.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I'm not in school anymore, and I really had no interest in LGBT issues when I was, but we did have a GSA, and I know for a fact there was at least one openly lesbian couple in school. I'm not really sure how things were otherwise.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I'm Catholic, and my church is a lot more tolerant than most. They can't perform same-sex wedding or domestic partnership ceremonies, but they have openly LGBT church leaders and don't ever preach that "You're going to Hell" stuff. They also don't partake in any of that conversion therapy stuff.

Ctrl.Alt.Geak

Swords Master
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
How is your school (or the school you used to go to) in terms of LGBTetc. issues?
I am out of school, but the performing arts school I used to go to was very LGBT friendly. The principal herself was a lesbian and a large amount of teachers were also gay. I remember seeing a lot of posters around the school about support networks and things like that, but we never had our own club. Still I couldnt have asked for a better school. Unfortunately I only stayed for half a year.
My other school was just apathetic to bullying in general so they couldnt care less if someone got called a f** or anything like that.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
How is your school (or the school you used to go to) in terms of LGBTetc. issues?

My school did not have any GSAs that I knew of. I went to high school in Florida, and as most of us know, homosexuality isn't very widely accepted in the south. But, I saw many openly lesbian couples on campus, one of said couples were two of my best friends. I never saw male gay couples, but there was one guy there who I knew was openly gay. As far as homophobic actions, the only thing I remember is a fellow student getting on my bus and shouting, "Ew, I just saw the grossest thing ever. I just saw two guys kiss." I didn't say anything, but I was thinking that person's reaction was very inappropriate.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
In Australia, schools don't really have any official organisations that I know of, so we had nothing like a GSA. Pretty much outside of sporting teams and a fairly unofficial yearbook committee, I knew of no clubs or groups or causes or anything. I never really dealt with the homosexuality issue in school at all actually, though my out gay friend did get bullied a fair bit. Nothing physical, just your garden variety teasing and taunts.

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
Years
My school had a GSA-type thing, and it for some reason got broken up last year. So now we have two new competing ones that are out to get the spot, and they're not very friendly with each other. It's kinda amusing, in a way. One of the reasons is that one of the groups is much more political than the other, which sparks its own issues.

But otherwise, my school is really great. (Remember, I'm a college kid :P) This year they've really ramped it up too. We have "SafeSpace" which all the RAs are trained in, and a bunch of other little resources. Move-in weekend, we also had a BIG party/picnic type thing about it too.

<-- Trying to get more involved this year :)

Renii

Se(Renii)ty
Years
I'm in the last year of high school. My school doesn't really have clubs like that, we have a math club, a computer club, a science club but nothing like GSA or even something like a sports club. Even if we did, we probably would not have an LGBT related club, I hear they do have one here in the university (I live in the university campus)

I very rarely get bullied or anything tbh, I did however get verbal and physical abuse when I was still not out and just another effeminate guy.
(The fact that I don't get bullied anymore has nothing to do with whether I was out or not, it just stopped; I guess people grew out of it.)

I have heard stories like, one of my seniors was humiliated by the principal for having told a straight guy that he crushed on him. He was pretty much a big joke, it makes me sad how everyone used to treat him. Sigh.

Apart from that, the number of out gay guys is increasing, I guess I can expect a revolution in a few years :)

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
It hasn't really ever come up in our school a lot, I don't think anyone has ever admitted to being whatever, as far as I know that is. But teachers do always get involved when someone is using the term gay as a insult.

There have been these red signs put up in nearly every class room, these are them actually;
50502_209819909505_3625381_n.jpg

This was even put out on a billboard just outside our school;
somepeoplearegay.jpg

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
It hasn't really ever come up in our school a lot, I don't think anyone has ever admitted to being whatever, as far as I know that is. But teachers do always get involved when someone is using the term gay as a insult.

There have been these red signs put up in nearly every class room, these are them actually;
50502_209819909505_3625381_n.jpg

This was even put out on a billboard just outside our school;
somepeoplearegay.jpg

I did a blog similar to this. http://www.pokecommunity.com/blog.php?b=11165

We have a GSA and SafePlace at my school. Most people have no problems with LGBT students. I'd say it's a pretty friendly campus.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
To live up a discussion, do you let it known that your gay or do you just keep it to yourself? (by let it know meaning, post it in your sig or wear a shirt that says "Im gay!" etc)

Like most straight people, I do not where shirts that proclaim my sexuality. Also, like straight people, when they talk about guy/girl interests, I would do the same, and not exclude myself from the conversation b/c I am fearful of revealing my sexuality. Also, although straight people do not proclaim their sexuality, they let us know by talking to us about their significant others, so I do not feel like I am flaunting or declaring that I am gay if I do the same by describing a guy I like, or holding hands with my bf or whatever else may indicate sexuality. If outright asked if I am gay, I will, in most cases, say that I am...Unless it's a creepy guy that wants to get in my pants, then I just say "nahh". lol

I like to keep it a balance between the two extremes of hiding and flaunting, like most people who are heterosexual. Some heterosexuals, men in particular, flaunt heterosexuality by trying to reaffirm to others that they are not gay, and flaunting "manliness"- insecure much. Homosexuals would be flaunting if they inappropriately kept reaffirming to others that they are gay by unnaturally forcing attention-seeking behaviors, but I would not include gay pride events/pride t-shirts as a form of flaunting in the case of homosexuals.

Btw... I have included the iconic color spectrum in my avatar mugshot as a subtle way of showing my pride, but I am not going to put " I am gay" and nothing else, simply because I am much more than just gay. Some people have given me back-handed compliments on my avatar simply because they thought the coloring was gay, but other than it was good - I could really care less! XD

Last edited:

Shining Raichu

Years
This question bewilders me. Are there actually shirts available that say "I'm gay!"? Well, I'm sure there are - you can make a shirt say anything you'd like, I guess. Also, how is this supposed to 'liven up' a conversation? Random proclamations of sexuality would (to my mind at least) make things awkward if anything.

EDIT: lol, you meant to liven up the discussion here. I thought you meant "oh I'm in a conversation and it's lagging, I might mention that I'm gay to make things interesting". Derp.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
Years
Oooh boy. A few interesting questions.

Would you change anything about your sexuality/gender?

Yep. I'd be straight in a second. I can't find an actual reason to continue being gay if there was a choice in my sexuality.

What does your school do concerning LGBTQ issues?

Admittedly, my school is a little funny on this subject. The thing is that my town only really has two GSAs. It's a small town, there's only five high schools and some of the people in town have rather conservative mindsets so people are afraid to say anything. My school doesn't have a GSA. The justification or reasoning I suppose is that nobody really tried to make one, and that there aren't a lot of kids that are open with themselves. The administration at my school is incredibly helpful to LGBTQ students, from what I've heard. One of the ones last year didn't help me out at all. Whatever.

The biggest high school in town is incredibly helpful to their students. I've seen it first hand, as they thought a trans* student had been beat up and went full scale in getting down to the source of this. It turned out that they weren't beat up, but the reaction and steps made sure to make sure that the people would have been punished was great to see. The principal is incredibly open minded, and this is where the largest GSA in our town is. It had students from all of the schools come in, and it's starting up for this year pretty soon actually. They were also promised a room (since they just lost a ton of kids) for the GSA, which they are able to furnish and decorate properly. I'm impressed at what that school did.

To live up a discussion, do you let it known that your gay or do you just keep it to yourself? (by let it know meaning, post it in your sig or wear a shirt that says "Im gay!" etc)

Not really. I don't see why it's anybody's business for who I am. My close friends all know and I'm comfortable with making cracks at myself with them. Random strangers? No not really. I mean I dress how I like, which isn't to flashy or "stereotypical" so whatever.

However I do own a shirt that says "Some dudes marry dudes, get over it." I wear that on the anti-bullying day we have though.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
The only thing that I wear that's in any way related to my sexuality are three bracelets that together make up the colors of the asexuality flag. Other than that, I don't flaunt my sexuality, but I don't hide it either. Like -ty-, if the discussion that I'm having with my friends turns to people we're attracted to, I don't mention anyone, or I might mention that one person that I am attracted to. Other than that, I don't run the streets singing about my asexuality, panromantic side, or about how I'm non-binary. Though I have dropped hints that I do prefer more gender-neutral ways to refer to me in real life.

Well, and I can't really hide that I shop in the men's department even though I'm female-sexed, so...

I believe my high school might have had a GSA when I first started going there, but it ended and was never revived. And my college really had nothing. If they did, I wasn't aware of it.

Shining Raichu

Years
Would you change anything about your sexuality/gender?

Yep. I'd be straight in a second. I can't find an actual reason to continue being gay if there was a choice in my sexuality.

What if you were really in love with a guy when the choice was made available to you?

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years

They don't do anything that doesn't happen to non-LGBT students. The straight kids actually suffer more because they tend to get into (really petty and really unnecessary) fights with each other (probably just to kick each others' cans) instead of with the LGBT students they don't even know.

Shining Raichu

Years
If I became straight I wouldn't be in love with them afterwards though.

Yes, this is what I'm saying lol - if you were in love with someone, would you be willing to sacrifice them for heterosexuality?

Actually, you know what? I like this question lol - I'm going to open it up to the whole community:

If the choice was made available to you to become straight, would being in love with someone of the same gender impact on your decision?

Personally, I couldn't. I have no interest in changing my sexuality regardless so I'm writing this response as though I do. If I were madly in love with another man and suddenly the 'miracle drug' (lol) became available to cancel out the gene or whatever it is that made me gay, I would not take it. I'd just hope he'd love me enough to make the same decision.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
Years
I'm well aware of what you're saying. I'm saying that if I was in love with them, after changing I wouldn't have feelings anymore so it would be null. Even then, if I was "in love" with them I would expect them to have a great understanding of what I'm going through and who I am. I would have a discussion with them on why I would do my decision the way I'm doing it. I'd obviously still remain friends with them, but I wouldn't be romantically or sexually attracted to them. In the end I would expect a great friend out of it all.

I want equal rights and to be looked as like equal from the social standpoint. Period.

Back