• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Stardust

Kronos

Shooting Star
Years
Pokemon Stardust [Beta 1 Released!!] {Updated Daily}

Pokemon Stardust
Background Info:
This hack is made up of maps that I would draw out when I was a little kid playing Red Blue and Yellow, and of some new maps that I've created recently. As these maps I drew as a little kid were mostly on notebook pages (and the rare occasional back of used desk calendars) they were a bit small- if maps seem this way in game, that is one reason why. Also, the storyline didn't exist many years ago when I drew these maps, so please bare with the simplistic storyline. I've been working on this hack over a period of 1.5 years, while attending college. As I'm still in college, updates might be sparadic at times, so please be patient. As for my goal for this hack, I hope that it's challenging, unlike many of the newer generation games.

Storyline:
The storyline takes place 2-3 years after heart gold and soul silver. Team Rocket has taken over Olivine city in Johto and is causing quite the commotion by restricting supplies to get to the islands to the southwest of johto. Not only that, but the Rockets are planning to cripple the many towns and cities that line this region and steal pokemon and valuable items. A team of unknown trainers are all that stand in their way.

Features:
  • No choice in starter pokemon.
  • New Tileset (Thanks to WAH I believe for the rom base- if im wrong please correct me, it's been over a year and a half since I downloaded it.)
  • Challenging Battles
  • Competitive Movesets
  • MANY, and I mean MANY new Songs added to the game (see videos section to listen for yourself.)
  • Not as linear as newer pokemon games (after the first gym, and second gym you have options on which way you want to go and in what order to tackle the gyms in.)
  • New Sprites (eventually- not my first priority)
  • New Legendary Pokemon
  • All pokemon catchable
  • Trade with other 3rd Gen Games!
  • Visit other regions!
  • A hidden sidequest after you beat the game.

Known Bugs:
  • After getting the pokedex, the first shop will not let you buy things in the shop.
  • Some tile errors (mostly in the first maps.) This is due to Advancemap not letting me use the block editor without turning things black. They shall be fixed as soon as I figure out how to get around this error.
  • When you are fighting a certain opponent in the POWER TOWER, if one of your pokemon faints you must go to the pokemon screen again after sending out your next pokemon or the game will freeze.
  • The game will alert you to the previous bug and remind you to go back to the pokemon screen.
  • Daycare Door doesn't work just yet. I'm trying to modify the daycare slightly, so no daycare just yet.
Music looped and in game:
  • Battle Theme from Ryuusei no Rockman 3
  • *SPOILER* CITY from POKEMON
  • Gym Leader Castle from Pokemon Stadium 2

Videos
Video 1: Battle Music Test
Spoiler:

Video 2: Battle vs ??? in ??? Town
Spoiler:

Video 3: The Mountainside Area
Spoiler:

Video 4: I'm So Evil / The Rocket's New Plan
Spoiler:

Video 5: Clock Town?
Spoiler:

FAQS:
Q:Can I be a beta tester?
A: No, I don't really believe in beta testers. Besides, I have my friends at college to do this.

Q: Can I help with x?
A: Possibly. If you want to help with spriting, I would like to know other hacks that you've worked on and to see a sample of your work (splicing several pokemon sprites together or doing recolors is not work.)
Mapping- no thanks
Scripting- Possibly in the future, but as of right now I'm fine scripting.
Music- I can do most music hacking perfectly. Although right now Sappy is busted and refuses to work...

Q: When will you release this hack?
A: Whenever I feel that it's ready to be released, if at all.

Q:You should add x feature.
A: Possibly in later updates, and that was a statement not a question!

Q: Why don't you post screenshots?
A: Because in one video, there are hundreds of screenshots! Also, because then you can hear the music aswell ^^.

Q: How can I support your hack?
A: Post on this thread, ask questions, comment, ect. Also, if you really want to support the hack, I've made a userbar for signatures:

Code:
HTML:
[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=210383"][IMG]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb115/kronos_exe/stardustfan.png[/IMG][/URL]
I hope you enjoy!
~Kronos

Screenshots:
gym1.png
bs4.png

9.png
outsetcape.png

8.png
g1.png

7.png
g2.png

6.png
bslol.png

5.png

4.png

2-1.png

11.png

1.png

pokemonstardusty2.png

pokemonstardusty.png

bs1.png

bs2.png

bs3.png

Beta 1:
You can get the first gym badge.

[/CENTER]

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
This looks nice, but i'm pretty sure Totodile is spelled Totodile, not Totadile.
Anyway, good luck!

Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2011
I hate to be discouraging, but you'll need to rethink one of your features. Specifically, the "Trade with other 3rd Gen Games!" feature. Now, I'm not saying it's impossible, but you'll have compatibility issues. Especially if you add new pokemon. These pokemon won't exist in the games you're trading to (assuming you can get the trade function to work at all) and so won't copy over correctly. If they were added onto the list, they'll become glitches, and if they were written over existing pokemon then there will be other glitches. If you're good with code, you might be able to get your game to "patch" any new pokemon (or moves, if you add any) into an existing game...a lot depends on if you plan to somehow make it work with cartridges.

Kronos

Shooting Star
Years
Thanks for the replies everyone! (I was worried that the thread would die lol)

@chrunch: Yes, small spelling errors might appear... sorry about that >.> I'll try to find them and fix them as I add things to older maps.

@Pandemonium: I'll keep working on it, trust me! I've been working on it sparadically for the past 1.5 years, and I'm up to the 4th gym.

@Prof Briar: I'm thinking of coding something like a time capsule from GSC. New Pokemon will not be allowed, nor will new TMs be holdable. There will be no new moves.

Anyways, I've figured out to sprite hack recently so here are some screenies (yes screenies *gasp*) of some new sprites. What do you think of them?

bs1.png

bs2.png

bs3.png

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Not bad, but I liked Todadile's old mouth. On that one it looks taped shut. A like the charmander and ekans, but something is bothering me about the rattata...

Kronos

Shooting Star
Years
@ Darkerm : I have some new tiles already, the trees and grass (well rather im using a rom base from WAH). As for comepletely new tiles, I'm saving those that I have made for the second region, to emphasize it's not in Johto (or rather not even in that section of the world *cough not in japan *cough*) Also I'm worried about the size of them. I'm hoping to modify most of the game's music, which will require considerable space, I have 3 songs looped and inserted, and another 8 songs waiting to be inserted (sappy broke on me somehow...). I'd rather have a remixed gym leader theme, champion theme, area themes ect over new tiles. (Plus it'll give ppl something nice to listen to as their pokemon are killed by the killer lapras ^^)

And here's 2 more pictures! (I'll try to post a pic or video every time I post.)

First Town: Outset Cape
outsetcape.png

Some more new Sprites!
bs4.png

Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2011
Heheheh...The time capsule. *sigh* I was going to suggest that approach myself, but I was a wee bit tired at the time. I suppose it would work, though it's important then that you keep the location of data for moves and pokemon that will be tradeable the same to avoid conflicts. I'm sure you know that, but just making sure.

The screens you've posted look quite good, however.

Kronos

Shooting Star
Years
Hi everyone! It's spring break ^^
Sometime soon, I'll be uploading a surprise for everyone watching this hack, I'm just trying to correct one bug before I release it.

Anyways, here's some more screenies for y'all:
g2.png

1st Gym Leader Erika

g1.png

1st Gym, powered by Poliwraths.

Kronos

Shooting Star
Years
Thanks Elmo, totodile is one of my favorites too!
Anyways, probably later today, in celebration of HG/SS's release, I will have a beta posted for download (once again just doing some last minute polishing of the area im releasing).

Two Questions though!

Would you guys be interested in playing the game?

Also, I'm getting alot of positive remarks on the screens looking good. How about the music?

Here is another screenshot:
Jabber used Bubblebeam! (the better question is how =D )
bslol.png

Kronos

Shooting Star
Years
Not to be Double Replying, but I have uploaded a small beta patch to the first post. Since there wasn't much interest, it only goes to the first gym, and not the Third. Please tell me what you think about it (or I won't be posting further betas..)

Also, please note that it is meant to be challenging!

Back