• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do you think Red is overpowered?

Do you think Red is overpowered?

• Yes.

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • No.

Votes: 97 84.3%

• Total voters

Lycanroc

under the sun
Years
You know how, when you get all 8 badges in Kanto and all 8 in Johto, you can go to that mountain (sorry, I forgot it's name), you can capture Moltres there, and when you get to the top, you reach a snowy peak with a strange trainer? That's Red. Red is the strongest NPC trainer in Pokemon history. But do you think he's overpowered? Would you want to go through this, finding the best team against him, and raising them all to about Level 100? Is that really nessecary for that one trainer? I ended up beating him, but my friend had to trade me over his Rayquaza so I could do it. Do you think he's overpowered?

Years
I think its nice their pokemons have high levels, i mean he's like A BOSS the SUPER FINAL BOSS, so its logic you must prepare a lot for beat him, because is your last challenge.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Honestly, not at all. It only makes sense for Red to be a powerful trainer with high levelled Pokemon- think about it, he was once the Kanto Champion himself. Do you really think a champion would possess a whole team filled with Magikarps, Caterpies and Bidoofs to the brim all at Level Five? As a champion of a region, you'd have to fight your way through hundreds or even thousands of trainers to make it to the top of the game. And you'd need some strong Pokemon to do that.

Add to that, three years of training on Mt. Silver. According to professors and NPCs, Mt. Silver has the toughest wild Pokemon in the game. For three years, you'd be training in and out most of the time honestly. Yes there might be a bit of exploring but the original reason Red went to Mt. Silver was to train. And after all of those years of training and fighting his way to the top, it'd probably only make sense that he would own some tough and high levelled Pokemon. So no, I don't think Red is overpowered at all. Plus, the last trainer of a game should be a huge challenge rather than an easy breeze.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Definitely not. It's funny because I haven't beaten Red yet. Probably because having to waste some of the move slots of my Pokemon was just too much of a hassle to do, in order to just get through the mountain and reach Red. In regard to his Pokemon, I didn't think he was overpowered. He is the final test, so it'd be only natural for him to have the strongest team in the game.

If he had a team full of legendaries however, then that'd be a different story. 8)

Years
When you consider the fact that Red was not only the Kanto League Champion but was able to take down all of Team Rocket by himself too, I really don't believe he's overpowered. In fact, he's probably the strongest trainer in all of Kanto/Johto until the player themselves show up, and after presumably spending the last 3 years on Mt. Silver, his Pokemon would've only gotten better. While he may be a lot stronger than any other trainer that you face, combining the fact that his Pokemon are so powerful with the fact that the battle takes place on top of a mountain, and you make for one epic final battle.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Definitely not in the slightest. You can beat him with low lv.70s using a lot of items, but in a game with so many re-matches its not that hard to actually get to his level (I know I did, although I challenged him in the high 70s to make it more challenging seeing as I had a counter for each member of his team). And to be honest I'd find it shocking if he wasn't much stronger than Lance. Especially when you consider Blue is stronger than Lance (in-game, as well as in FrLg), and Red defeated him. Plus, 3 years training in that place? I wouldn't have been surprised if his Pikachu had developed Snow Coat or something as well :P His levels certainly make more sense than Barry's in Platinum.

So in conclusion: Appropriately super-strong, a better end-game battle there may never be in pokémon.

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
Nah, not really. He was challenging, but not to the point where it was unfair or impossible. He served as the game's final test, and it was only fitting that he had a high-leveled team with a varied composition unlike most of the game's major trainers.

I concur with this ^ and you said it yourself GoldRayquaza, he's the strongest trainer in pokemon history, a title his levels fit quite appropriately. It would be undeserved if he matched or just barely surpassed the elite 4's levels. Part of how he got there in the first place was defeating the elite 4. So it needs to show how much stronger he is than them.

Though I speak from my memory of my original silver since I am far from there in Soul Silver, and though it's been years I don't recall him being overpowered for me. It would make sense that I had trouble with him at first, especially since I don't think I knew about Red when I first found him so it was a battle I wasn't expecting but I was my strongest ever, even to this day, in that game and managed to nearly match his levels (with 3 level 100s eventually). Then he got pretty easy, I beat both the elite 4 and him 17 times.

BTW it's Mt. Silver (and I only actually remember that because it shares it's name with my version).

Years
  • Seen May 28, 2013
Nah, especially since you can just battle the Elite 4 infinite times to level up.

I thought he was too easy... high levelled but, easy.

Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2020
No, his team kind of sucks. Three Pokemon weak to electricity, and no ground type.

He's very high-levelled, but that's the only thing that might cause you problems.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
red is my idol. i remember when i found him when i originally played silver, i was about 12, as soon as i could see him on my screen, i remember saying to my self;
'thats ash...' i knew from that point it was gonna be the most epic battle of my life. i didn't even start the battle straight away i kinda stared at him in awe for a moment. in no way shape or form is red over powered. as most people said here, he is the retired kanto elite 4 champion, he himself.. is legendary.

Years
No, Red is awesome, Red is a true challenge and he is a pure power. But seriously, I love grinding a lot, so I can overpower him easily.

Lycanroc

under the sun
Years
I get it, okay? Listen, I was a inexperienced trainer when I battled him, and I had no idea he was the Kanto League champion and all that stuff when I posted this. (I pretty much have no knowelge about the original games) When I think about it better, the answer is no. PS. I was not the person who picked Yes in the poll.

Years
You know how, when you get all 8 badges in Kanto and all 8 in Johto, you can go to that mountain (sorry, I forgot it's name), you can capture Moltres there, and when you get to the top, you reach a snowy peak with a strange trainer? That's Red. Red is the strongest NPC trainer in Pokemon history. But do you think he's overpowered? Would you want to go through this, finding the best team against him, and raising them all to about Level 100? Is that really nessecary for that one trainer? I ended up beating him, but my friend had to trade me over his Rayquaza so I could do it. Do you think he's overpowered?

You know who Red is, right? He's more than an NPC, he's 'you'. You get to fight 'yourself'- Red is the player character from FRLG/RBY versions, and he kicks absolute ass just... because.

I don't think he's overpowered, I think Mt Silver's Pokémon could do with being a bit stronger so you can train properly there. That, or the League could do with being slightly lower in level after it levels-up. There's a big leap from Blue to Red, despite them having been close rivals in the past, and it makes for a bit of a scare when you go to challenge Red and he starts up with a Pikachu level 88 right off the bat. Regardless, I don't think he's overpowered; I think it's appropriate that he's as strong as he is.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
He should have evolved that Pikachu. Nidoking's Earthquake was enough to start that battle off right! I didn't think he was challenging at all. But it was such an amazing experience, being able to battle him....the guy I used to be just a few years ago.

kingfor6

Pkmn Trainer SS Goku
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2015
No I do not think he is overpowered. In fact, I am glad he leveled up 7 levels. Makes it more challenging and more exciting. When I first faced him on HG, I expected his Pokémon to be the same as in Gold. My strongest Pokémon was at lv 65 or something and going in to battle him with all my Pokémon in the 60s expecting his to be in the 70s which is sufficiently low enough for me to conquer with my level of skill, got me destroyed in battle by him. As a result, I prepared for his stronger team my getting all of my Pokémon into the 70s having my strongest at 75. I ended up winning the second round. Now I am on a new game, have about 13 badges, no cheating with infinite rare candies like some people do, haven't even lost yet. He could level up to 100 for all I care.

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
Years
  • Age 32
  • ???
  • Seen Jul 18, 2023
I get it, okay? Listen, I was a inexperienced trainer when I battled him, and I had no idea he was the Kanto League champion and all that stuff when I posted this. (I pretty much have no knowelge about the original games) When I think about it better, the answer is no. PS. I was not the person who picked Yes in the poll.

Ah, don't take their feedback as if they were bashing on you lol. In my opinion, Red was a very difficult trainer and he'll always put us on our toes when we're up against him. One of the things that I saw unfair was the adventure up Mt. Silver. I had to leave behind 1-2 essential teammates behind in order to use my HM slaves.

But, considering Red being such a challenge is a good thing. That makes your victory that much sweeter and as you get better .. Red will become an experience in the past just as he has become for most of us.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Red is kinda the optional super boss, so he has to be stronger than every other trainer. I think in HG/SS he is even easier than in the original games, since leveling up goes a little faster, because the E4 are a little stronger and give more EXP.

Back