• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Attempt to break some of the OU Metagame.

Outlawed

Think you can beat me?
Years
Its been a while since I posted something here.
Anyway, after playing gen v for a while, I started to get the hang of it. I ran some weather, some Whimsicott/Gengar abuse, hell I even tried things like specbliss.

Anyway, here's the team. I used skarmbliss because I need a healer and because Skarmory can wall tons of physical attackers, par those who carry Fire Blast/Flamethrower.

The team isn't fantastic, but its been winning a good amount and I think it can do more.

The team:

121.png
473.png
80.png
465.png
227.png
242.png

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SAtk / 152 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Substitute

I'm not sure if this is the spread for a bulky Starmie, I might be missing some speed points, but I think this is what allows me to outrun JollyChomp. Not like I need to really, but bulk is generally OKAY on Starmie in this metagame I feel. It can't live much without recover support but it deals really well with any sort of Poke that tries to setup weather (par Abo). Sub is also nice and allows me a free turn to Spin away hazards or hit anything with a STAB HP.

Mamoswine (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Ice Fang
- Superpower

It is a powerhouse. With SR+Spikes support Mamoswine makes an excellent late gamer sweeper, and an even better Revenge killer. STAB EQ will hit anything super hard, and with the CB Ice Fang will OHKO non defensive Gliscor after Rocks. Superpower is carried because with this set I can outrun several things that cause a threat to my team, including Ferro and T-tar. It's also a nice support move to have after I paralyze things with Bliss/Tangrowth.

Slowbro (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SAtk / 216 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Slack Off
- Surf
- Flamethrower

Slowbro is here as a pure sp.def sponge. It hits rather hard and with Regenerator allows me to switch in and out with little to no cost. It counters most fighting types (par Scrafty, which can be a real problem for this team). It can 2hko Ferro with Flamethrower, and does a good amount of damage with Psychic while being able to sit there and Slack Off all day. It doesn't like status obviously, but thats why I have bliss.

Tangrowth (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Stun Spore

The main defensive tank of the team. Leaf Storm is no joke either and allows me to OHKO Excadrill after SR and some spikes. Stun Spore over Sleep Powder because it allows Mamoswine to really become the dominant attacking Pokemon. Generally, I'll take a couple of hits with this, set up Leech Seed, Stun Spore and then switch out to get my health back.

Skarmory (F) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Brave Bird

Shed Shell to avoid getting locked in by annoying Magnet Pullers. I'd rather have that than lefties really. The lack of Roost means that this set is purely for support. I usually get my stuff blown away, but set up again with it, since it works. Works quite well with Slowbro/Mamoswine/Tangrowth.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Aromatherapy
- Thunder Wave
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss

There is no bs here. This is a sp.def blissey. I don't need a bold nature. This thing can take Draco Meteor from Latios and effectively wall it. Thunder Wave because when I do come in on Latios (that runs away), I'll usually get a scarfer, or a banded Pokemon that will NOT like the paralysis. Then I can switch over to one of my defensive Pokes.

Comments:

This team doesn't like Scrafty, and generally will get rolled by things like Mixed-ape (once Starmie is gone)
Mamoswine is the key powerhouse of the team, and with SR/Spike support allows me to do a lot of damage to pretty much anything. Without my SR/Spikes though, I find that it doesn't do as much damage as it needs to be doing. Perhaps I need another priority user to clean up after Mamoswine gets taken down.

Anyway, CC is welcome.
Thanks for stopping by.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Blissey:

Firstly Blissey does NEED Def evs. Max it always. HP EV's are the ones that dont help, they help by like ~3%. 252 Def / 80 Sp.Def / 176 Def @ Calm does the same thing as your spread but lets it take hits as well as Max HP Scizor and Spiritomb on the physical side too so you don't lose to Wingull's Pursuit...lol.

Flamethrower > S-Toss or you might aswell use Eviolite Chansey. This team loses to Gengar so it helps in that regard too.

Skarmory:

Are you seriously not using Roost on Skarmory ? Put it over Stealth Rock please. You can use LO Swine and put SR over Stone Edge on that.

Mamoswine:

Icicle Spear/Icicle Crash is better than Ice Fang on Mamoswine. Icicle Spear now has 25 power per hit and this lets you poop all over Whimsicott, Sub chomp and Breloom (WHO YOU CANNOT BEAT CURRENTLY) and the like and also 2HKO'S Skamory and Rotom-W if it hits 4 times IIRC. Icicle Crash is useful for the flinch and reliability but i generally prefer Icicle Spear due to its power and utility. You want max speed too and Att or you lose to some key threats speed wise. See the SR over SE on Mamo w/LO so you can use Roost on Skarm comment above.

Slowbro:

Also why are you using Slowbro over Slowking if you're using Sp.Def Evs ? Put those into Defense with Bold. Scald > Surf for the Burn. Id actually switch to Calm Mind with Psycho Shock so you can beat Reuniclus and other CMers 1 Vs 1 because i mean this team cant at all.

Tangrowth:

Protect seems silly on Tangrowth thanks to Regenerator. Id put another move over it. Hidden Power Fire or Ice would be good, since Breloom curb stomps this team and you cant actually touch it.

Starmie:

Starmie needs Max Speed always, no iffs or buts about it. Its speed is one of the highest in the metagame and there are just wayyy to many things that you lose to without doing so.

Anyway this team really struggles with anything that beats Slowbro and is a fighting type see: Breloom. Id get a check to it honestly, most likely over the rather dead weight Tangrowth. You also lack a rapid spin blocker which is disappointing if you're stacking spikes.

Also welcome back. ^^

Outlawed

Think you can beat me?
Years
Your Bliss ev spread makes no sense lol. Read what you wrote.

As for Mamoswine, I need Ice Shard to kill dragons.. But I don't run Stone Edge if you didn't read lol. I'm running Super Power.

Also about Starmie, what does it need to outspeed that is faster than 334 and less than its max of 361?

Finally, you say Tangrowth is dead weight?
Can you think of a replacement that carries SR + hits with TW and can absorb hits as well?

And thanks.

EDIT:
Celebi might do better with SR, TW, Recover and either Grass Knot/Psychic (latter for Breloom)

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
@ Bliss: I believe he meant 252def/80spA/176spDef.

@ Mamo: He said Icicle Spear/Drop > Ice Fang, since those are the two that outclass Fang anyway. Plus more people run Stone Edge > Superpower as that's standard so that's probably why he mixed it up. ;;

@ Starmie: Tornadus and Thundurus come to mind. I don't think in final stat numbers though, (like 361 or w/e) just ones like Base 115 and base 111.

@ Tangrowth is dead weight because everything that it "walls" is walled by other things on your team. Excadrill? You have a near-perfect check in Skarmory already. :( SR + T-wave + general bulk? Have you ever met Jirachi? ;;

Outlawed

Think you can beat me?
Years
I dropped Tangrowth for Celebi.
Its doing mean things to several teams. Team hasn't lost to anyteam, including weather since the change. However, the Calm Minding slowbro lacks Slack Off and with regenerator + lefties seems to survive long enough to make a difference.

The only real 'issue' is that I lack a physical attacker after Mamoswine dies, so this team might loose stall wars.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I dropped Tangrowth for Celebi.
Its doing mean things to several teams. Team hasn't lost to anyteam, including weather since the change. However, the Calm Minding slowbro lacks Slack Off and with regenerator + lefties seems to survive long enough to make a difference.

The only real 'issue' is that I lack a physical attacker after Mamoswine dies, so this team might loose stall wars.

Calm Mind was meant to be > Flamethrower, not Slack Off. I want to know how you've functioned so far with a non-recovery Slowbro. XD;

One other thing is that you must be absolutely careful if you see a Scizor on the opponent's team - if they've got a way to eliminate Skarmory (ie Magnezone) you're pretty much railed by SD Scizor. ;o;

Last edited:

Outlawed

Think you can beat me?
Years
Slowbro with def ev's takes hits nicer than you'd think.
Actually, my skarm has shed shell, so magnezone is really not a problem at all.

Flamethrower on my Slowbro (that takes 2 power whips from ferro) is really my only way of dealing with Ferro. I also come in nicely on Scizor, who fails to OHKO with u-turn even after an SD.

The only argument for a Jirachi would be to help fight Scizor better. But its not been giving me super troubles.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Slowbro with def ev's takes hits nicer than you'd think.
Actually, my skarm has shed shell, so magnezone is really not a problem at all.

Flamethrower on my Slowbro (that takes 2 power whips from ferro) is really my only way of dealing with Ferro. I also come in nicely on Scizor, who fails to OHKO with u-turn even after an SD.

The only argument for a Jirachi would be to help fight Scizor better. But its not been giving me super troubles.

Well considering that that's the only way I've ever ran it and obviously the best way to run it (why invest in a base 80 SpD when you have a base 110 Def to work with?) then yes, I know exactly how nicely it takes hits. :( And sorry about 'Zone; I didn't pay attention to the item. Regardless, it's going to be your only resort against Scizor and I feel like you have to play really carefully (don't lose it to something like rain Dragonite when you're expecting a DD version or something idk) or else you risk being mauled by it. Just a thought, is all!

Thing is with Slowbro, most players who are knowledgeable about anything will realize that when Slowbro comes in on their Ferrothorn it's not coming in to CM up or throw weak Scalds at it - it's going to come packing Flamethrower and so they'll be smart and switch out. Scizor I'd feel a little more comfortable about with smacking with Flamethrower, though SD versions should always run Bug Bite and will probably KO your Slowbro if it has a little bit of prior damage.

Jirachi actually doesn't deal with Scizor at all, lol. 252/0 (the special defense Jirachi sets) is the closest they get and those get 2hko'd by +2 Bug Bite, let alone standard offensive ones.

Outlawed

Think you can beat me?
Years
I didn't say it counter its, but it being on the team makes it harder for Scizor to do its thing. (Come in on a BP and commence to kill it).

It is true about Ferro, most of the time it ends up coming in on me after seeing a Psychic.
But yes. Scizor can be an issue to this team.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I didn't say it counter its, but it being on the team makes it harder for Scizor to do its thing. (Come in on a BP and commence to kill it).

It is true about Ferro, most of the time it ends up coming in on me after seeing a Psychic.
But yes. Scizor can be an issue to this team.

Yeah, but Scizor isn't gonna be firing a BP at anything but Mamoswine on your team. XD; Really, as long as you have Skarm, you don't have any troubles with it so we can kinda drop that. I just wanted to mention that you don't have any backup checks to it really save Slowbro who is a pretty shifty backup check to Scizor because it has a pretty strong STAB super-effective attack on it. Just wanted to shoot you a notion to be careful. :)

You're right and I've even caught myself doing that sometimes - Ferrothorn is easy to bring in on Slowbro once you see Psychic (since it's easy to assume that all Slowbros are Scald/Slack Off/Psychic/filler) so you win there with Flamethrower. Keep in mind though, without Calm Mind your team is essentially swept by CM Reuniclus.

Outlawed

Think you can beat me?
Years
Reuniclus.
It can't 3HKO me with Modest max SpA.
With 1 CM it still can't 2HKO me with Modest max SpA.
With 2 CM's it barely can 2HKO me.

In other words, if I come in on it as it sets up a calm mind, I need to start hitting it and hope it doesn't carry recover.

CM Reuniclus is the bane of this team =o

The only way to 'deal' with it, is to hope to have my hazards set up, and have Mamoswine come in and finish it off.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Reuniclus.

In other words, if I come in on it as it sets up a calm mind, I need to start hitting it and hope it doesn't carry recover.

The only way to 'deal' with it, is to hope to have my hazards set up, and have Mamoswine come in and finish it off.

Reuniclus isn't effected by hazards. D: All Reuniclus carry Magic Guard.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Reuniclus.

CM Reuniclus runs 252hp/252def Bold, with a moveset of Psychic/HP Fight/Recover/CM. It doesn't need Modest max SpA because it already has a fantastic base 125 SpA which at +6 mauls everything anyway. Its not affected by hazards nor Toxic damage so you literally can't do anything except try to whack it with EQ with Mamoswine the first turn it's out. It can just recover off Seismic Toss and non-crit damage. You literally have to rely on luck and critting Reuniclus to beat it out.

Noteworthy checks to CM Rank: Tyranitar, Scizor, CM Roar Latias

Outlawed

Think you can beat me?
Years
Damnz. I ran against a team with Ferro/Latios/Reuniclus and Toad today. Opponent had Reuniclus left. It killed me.

Maybe Tar w/Fire Blast for Slowbro?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Damnz. I ran against a team with Ferro/Latios/Reuniclus and Toad today. Opponent had Reuniclus left. It killed me.

Maybe Tar w/Fire Blast for Slowbro?

Wait what. Tyranitar with Fire Blast for Slowbro. <_< You're not gonna be taking out Slowbro's with Fire Blast. :x

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022

Wait what. Tyranitar with Fire Blast for Slowbro. <_< You're not gonna be taking out Slowbro's with Fire Blast. :x

Misunderstanding. Meant Tyranitar > Slowbro. :(

Replacing Slowbro with Tyranitar may also give you more of an issue with Conkeldurr who can come in on Tyranitar, Bulk Up and truck Skarmory a bit with Drain Punch before you can WW away. I believe at +2 it's draining back more health from Skarm than you're doing with Brave Bird, too. It's worth a try, though, since it's not a near-100% chance you'll lose (I mean, without hax of course!) like it is with Reuniclus right now. :<

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Tyranitar is a terrible Reuniclus check imho. The Trick room set slaughters it and it cant even OHKO without a CB. -_- lol Sp.Def Scizor and Sp.Def Jirachi are the best checks.

However CM/Psyshock/Scald/Slack Off Slowbro beats the CMer 1 vs 1 hence why i suggested it. Psyshock hits its defense whilst yours is superior so you win.

Last edited:

flamehaze94

Jeste!
Years
If it's TR Reun, then Blissey does alright against it. Besides Tyranitar's a great pokemon that can break certain, popular defensive cores like Gliscor/Ferrothorn/Jellicent that this team has trouble with. Plus... it can set rocks leaving room for Roost on Skarmory >.>

Tyranitar is a nice place to start if want a lot more oomph on your team since it looks like most of its current members just sit there absorbing blows with no real win condition. Since you have Celebi > Tangrowth now (I think) fighting types shouldn't be a problem unless it's Scrafty or Lucario in which case you have Skarmory for the former. Just be careful around Luke ok?

Oh yeah and reconsider Leftovers on Skarmory. Since Magnezone and Wobbuffet are nearly nonexistant and passive recover helps you tank things without needing to waste a turn using Roost.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
If it's TR Reun, then Blissey does alright against it. Besides Tyranitar's a great pokemon that can break certain, popular defensive cores like Gliscor/Ferrothorn/Jellicent that this team has trouble with. Plus... it can set rocks leaving room for Roost on Skarmory >.>

Tyranitar is a nice place to start if want a lot more oomph on your team since it looks like most of its current members just sit there absorbing blows with no real win condition. Since you have Celebi > Tangrowth now (I think) fighting types shouldn't be a problem unless it's Scrafty or Lucario in which case you have Skarmory for the former. Just be careful around Luke ok?

Oh yeah and reconsider Leftovers on Skarmory. Since Magnezone and Wobbuffet are nearly nonexistant and passive recover helps you tank things without needing to waste a turn using Roost.

Yeah but CM Rank is the one that's the issue. :( Personally, I would run SpD Jirachi > Celebi/Blissey because it can ~kinda~ fill either of those two roles to an extent. Magnezone is also run "enough" that it's OU; it's not like it's invisible. I do promote the idea of having Lefties, though. I always like the reliable recovery over the ability to play more recklessly with the Pokemon (which is really what Shed Shell boils down to).

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
Wash rotom beats this team pretty badly. First, I would replace toxic over thunder wave on blissey. Then I would replace tangrowth with cm roar latias. This set let's you beat Reuniclus as well as acting as a counter to wash rotom. Anyways, flamethrower on bliss to 3hko natt, or just use chansey. Max speedd always on starmie. Otherwise, you lose to Terakion, virizion, and genies.
Nice team dude, it has potential.

Back