• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bulbapedia -- Google Warning: May Harm Your Computer???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
is anybody else seeing this with Bulbapedia today??? Google keeps giving me a warning that the site may harm my computer!!! is this a bug with Google??? Bulbapedia is the most trusted source of Pokémon information according to MANY sites and now Google is calling it malicious!!! anybody know what's going on???

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I got this as well, and I know other Google Chrome users that got it. I think it's just a bug with Chrome though. Someone that bragged about using Safari seems to not be affected, lol. Hopefully it goes away soon though. :( Serebii is still available though if you need information, as well as the Q&A threads on PC.

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
I got this as well, and I know other Google Chrome users that got it. I think it's just a bug with Chrome though. Someone that bragged about using Safari seems to not be affected, lol. Hopefully it goes away soon though. :( Serebii is still available though if you need information, as well as the Q&A threads on PC.

Actually I am using Firefox and Google search is the one telling me it is malicious...

Margaery Tyrell

Growing Strong
Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 28, 2018
I'm using Explorer, and it was telling me the same thing...I wonder what's going on with Bulbapedia/Google?

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
Hmm..It happened to me to.Something about programs being installed on people's without their permission or something :\

Years
I've been noticing this too so I've been steering clear... I looked it up on Google to see if there was an explanation for why this is happening... Didn't find much; but what I did find that this has happened in the past.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
is anybody else seeing this with Bulbapedia today??? Google keeps giving me a warning that the site may harm my computer!!! is this a bug with Google??? Bulbapedia is the most trusted source of Pokémon information according to MANY sites and now Google is calling it malicious!!! anybody know what's going on???

I use firefox got the same warning and a malware thing got caught in my virus blocker. So be careful using it for now. Problem is I didnt see anything to contact them. So beware

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Yeah - I just saw that too, on Firefox.

'Sokay - I never use Bulbapedia anyway, since the site runs like molasses at the best of times, so it's no loss. Pokemondb has all the same information in a better format with better coding on better servers.

In my opinion, of course...

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
Yeah, I got this warning today too when I was looking up a Pokemon on there. I was like 'what happened'!? Bulbapedia is probably having a problem with their advertisements that they allow on their site, that could be causing it. This was a similar problem on a site that I go on sometimes, and the moderators and admins. fixed it.

The problem will probably fixed today or in the next few days so their is no need to worry. :)

Here' a Technical explanation: The first hosted network is TAKE2, which is the TNH (True Name Host) of bulbapedia.com. Google appears as the second "host" as the website, however the third, CONFLUENCE, could be using an intermediary hosted on Google's servers to redirect to their own website. All domain names referenced above have been registered within the past 10 days. This will most likely only be a problem to users if they have not modified their DNS settings using the instructions in this thread. Sadly, even if the user does this, they will still receive a warning if they attempt to browse to bulbapedia.

I think that's right.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Last time I saw a message like this was when a user where on PC had a image uploaded from an untrusted site, and google just generically listed it as malware, who knows, could be the same thing.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
Years
I had this problem as well and of all the years I had a computer and searched up Bulbapedia, I have seen nothing like this. I hope they get rid of whatever causing the site to be harmful.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
I've been getting it as well. From both Internet explorer, google chrome, and my android browser....I love using bulbapedia's info although I have been steering clear(only visiting sporadically) because of it.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Safari was affected though! For me at least. ;P

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Oh yikes, didn't know it was on other browsers. :( Well this puts us all in a pickle, right? Hopefully this gets fixed soon. I get all my old sprites from Bulbapedia!

MegamanDX

Pokemon/Megaman fan
Years
It seems that just about all the broswers are saying the same thing...

I been on the Bulbapedia forums for over two year and I have never had this problem...

Could it be that something about New Years Eve might have a influence to this or the The Pokemon Company just had enough with them...Sad really....But I can still get on the web site the back way which is through my email but I really shouldn't take that chance...I guess ill give it a shot and monitor everything going on in the back ground of my computer to make sure things are going to be ok...

https://twitter.com/Bulbapedia Read some of the posts down on the Bulbapedia twitter feed.

EDIT: I got on the web site the back way which is by my email so you could try that if you want to get on there.
Double EDIT: I just found some more info why this happened: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/story/2011-10-31/corrupted-ads/51048084/1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back