• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Templates

Should PokeCommunity Have Templates?

• Yes

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 29, 2015
Templates

I decided to create this thread to try and make PokeCommunity a more "decorative" place. On some sites the forums allow you to have things called "Templates" and they are basically a background behind your text, each one is unique and made specifically for a certain person. One that I made is this:

DarkRaiTemplateTop.png
[background=http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb420/PhotoURLsneeded/DarkRaiTemplateMiddle.png] ***Text Goes Here***[/background]
DarkRaiTemplateBottom.png

But for some strange reason these forums do not let you use templates, where you type does not go on the background and I don't know why.

So Basically My Suggestion Is:
Make the Forums "Template Friendly"

Years
I do not like this idea, but that is because it could be abused and I'd like to be able to browse without them, and I'd also like to see confirmation that the background templates can be turned off and that it wouldn't be too much effort to spend on a lesser feature (as opposed to spending that time on more important features) from staff.

In the mean time, you could learn the BB Code CSS we have implemented here. There's a sticky thread over in Webmaster's Discussion called the CSS Help & Discussion Thread that you should read to learn about it. This can achieve what you're looking for, just not automatically with every post.

Years
That stuff gets annoying real quick. It's like if people posted with their entire wallpaper and gif collections in their signatures. It's more of an eyesore than not. The ability to automatically format your post text should be more than enough for this forum.

Also, CSS, etc.

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
Years
No. NO! I'm sorry but I can't have this. It would hurt if people decided to use a completely black templete just so you would have to highlight it. And you could use CSS but please don't, not with every post...

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
You're looking for something like this I'm guessing....

DarkRaiTemplateTop.png
***Text Goes Here***
DarkRaiTemplateBottom.png

That can be performed with CSS, but I don't think it should be doable automatically. Many people would abuse that to make eye-rending posts, it's bad enough with people changing the color of their text to match their own theme, making it impossible to read in others.

Although if you want to do this manually, I would do it a bit differently from the way you are doing it (namely, making that one big picture).

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
For a signature, I think that's fine, but for the post? It's hard enough for me to load CSS sigs sometimes, and if every or most posts had that, I'd be getting really mad. Some of us have slower internet connections and those things take a while to load. -sigh- That poor Darkrai... So yeah, I'mma have to turn this down.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 29, 2015
you can change the color of the letters its, [color=#(htmlcode)] ***text*** [/color]

I like templates, as long as they're not BRIGHT colored and if the text goes with it nicely

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
For a signature, I think that's fine, but for the post? It's hard enough for me to load CSS sigs sometimes, and if every or most posts had that, I'd be getting really mad. Some of us have slower internet connections and those things take a while to load. -sigh- That poor Darkrai... So yeah, I'mma have to turn this down.

This is a no from me too, mostly for the reasons Syd specified there. I really don't think that a) I would ever use this and b) I would ever care to look at anyone else's, really just making the whole suggestion pointless for me. It's already enough that we have our signature for that whole "use images with text to look hot" stuff imo. We don't need to look snazzy in every post when just normal text/font/slight formatting stuff will do.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
As long as members have the option to hide all custom user templates (like profile customizations), it sounds OK to me. It'll probably be pretty hard to implement though.

Back