• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

what's your favorite Nintendo game series and why?

Years
  • Seen Mar 9, 2013
I like Mario because of the storyline and multi-player gameplay. I like pokemon for the fun adventure and good battles. I like super smash bros (especially brawl) for the fun all out battles with friends.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Most everything. But really mostly Super Mario and The Legend of Zelda

Why? Hmm... they're terrific. Great examples of game design. Some of the first franchises I ever played.

Years
It wasn't really my choice growing up, but we always had the console that was rivalling Nintendo's on the market, so I never got much experience with Nintendo games (Sega Genesis over the S/NES, PS1 over N64, PS2 over Gamecube, etc.). I did have a Game Boy, though, and easily fell in love with the Pokemon franchise. I love playing some of the Mario spinoff games like Mario Kart and Mario Party, but I'll never care for any of the other series as much as I do for Pokemon.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I'm gonna have to say Pokemon, though I'm a fan of most Nintendo games in general. Honestly, it's one of the only video games series I play anymore. I've also played some Mario games , but mostly the spinoff/ party-like ones such as the Mario Party and Mario Kart series. Also love the Super Smash Bros. series and can't wait for the Wii U/3DS game.

Years
Pokemon of course! It was the first Nintendo franchise I played and the only one I'll ever play. I did play a Mario game before but it wasn't as fun and awesome as Pokemon was.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I'm gonna go with the more overlooked series and go with Wario Land, Rhythm Heaven, and Warioware. If I have to go with one though, it's either Rhythm Heaven/Tengoku or Wario Land.

I really love most of of Nintendo's IPs though, even (especially...) the lesser known ones like Hotel Dusk and Ouendan/EBA. Which is more than I can say for Sony lol. There are certain Nintendo IPs that I don't really like though, like Pokemon (USED to love) and Zelda. (Giving another shot at this series.)

I did play a Mario game before but it wasn't as fun and awesome as Pokemon was.
You are missing out on some of the best games available in the whole industry.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Pokemon of course! It was the first Nintendo franchise I played and the only one I'll ever play. I did play a Mario game before but it wasn't as fun and awesome as Pokemon was.
Which one did you play? Hopefully not Sunshine, a NSMB game, or some spinoff title

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
Part of Pokemon ?

Legend of Zelda Series because it is fun and challenging anytime you play it, and I fail to see another game series like it.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
My favourite Nintendo series would have to be the Legend of Zelda series, because I do love the plot lines behind it, and all of the puzzle solving and just general strategy you'd have to use for particular situations like dungeons, boss fights, and so on. However, I do love most Nintendo game series like Super Mario Bros., Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and so on.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
It was Kirby back when there used to be a clear pattern of every other game being a side game. The platformers are predictable, and unfortunately haven't been too creative level design wise for a long time. Epic Yarn and Mass Attack at least have a gimmick to them, but like, Touch!Kirby and Air Ride were the last really different side titles, and I'd take another Dream Course over generic Super Star/Adventure clone #8.

And this is coming from a one time hard core Kirby fan, too.

That or just just bring back Kine, Coo and Rick as playable. Something. I feel like even 64 tried something different. I haven't been a fan of Kirby's portrayal since the anime, either. Less cartoony, more... stupid. Ugh. What a waste.

I don't have any attachment to Nintendo franchises otherwise. The only series I hold in high regard these days is MOTHER (and I'm not even an RPG fan). If I'm looking at Nintendo games that don't follow any kind of continuity or narrative, though, then it's WarioWare and Rhythm Heaven for me.

I'll still buy Kirby games, though, and await each new release like all the Pokemon fans here do with the Pokemon games. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised, but I still wish they'd tone down the platformers and not have Kirby be a blithering idiot. Holy crap.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
I'd say The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. There are quite a lot Nintendo games, so it's quite difficult choosing. But I'd say that ALttP is my all time favorite. I just love that game. I still have it for the SNES and I recently bought it for GBA too (along with Four Swords which is useless haha).

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
Would you count Final Fantasy as a Nintendo series since it did debut on the NES and there are 20 Final Fantasy games(not including remakes and ports) that had their original releases on Nintendo consoles?

If not then it would definitely be the Golden Sun series closely followed by the Pokemon series.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
It was Kirby back when there used to be a clear pattern of every other game being a side game. The platformers are predictable, and unfortunately haven't been too creative level design wise for a long time. Epic Yarn and Mass Attack at least have a gimmick to them, but like, Touch!Kirby and Air Ride were the last really different side titles, and I'd take another Dream Course over generic Super Star/Adventure clone #8.
Here's the thing about main entry Kirby games. They come in two styles.

There's the ones with level design like in Dream Land series / Kirby 64, which I prefer. And there are many games that follow in Adventure and Super Star's footsteps and end up basically just being a giant maze of doors, which I absolutely hate.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Yes, pretty much. There's a reason why I really wish they continued with Dream Land's school of level design. If they had only improved and expanded on that, the series could stand to have some stand out levels.

Dream Land is still blocky, but less so, and the environments are all unique, so each level stands out. Green Greens is mostly flat with a tree you have to scale at the end in order to get to the other side of it. Castle Lololo is maze like, but that makes sense considering the namesake. And it goes on. Each level had a unique theme and set of enemies to match. Every Kirby game afterward has just put enemies wherever they wanted without much rhyme or reason, and you might see some environmental tropes in an unrelated area just because they could do it.

I feel like to a degree, Dream Land 3 and 64 are what the series could have looked like if they continued with Dream Land's style. Dream Land 3 introduces environmental levels within a given region, but doesn't reach the potential of playing most of them up right. 64 did this better, with each level now being unique.

Dream Land 2 is in a weird spot because it's like a portable Adventure, so it uses the door overworld gimmick. But it does keep environments contained to the island. You're not playing a woods stage in a mountain level. To be fair, though, Adventure usually stays on point most of the time.

I'm merely talking about the environments at this point, though. I'm not necessarily giving an order of preference for favorite games. So I'll just leave it with 64, though not necessarily one of my most favorite Kirby games, had a pretty interesting idea of how to do each one of its stages without them blending together into a forgettable mess. I can't even play Amazing Mirror anymore, and I ate that game up when it first came out.

Also, I have yet to play Return to Dream Land, so I dunno how that goes. It still looks block platformish, though, as opposed to organic which a surreal planet like Pop Star could really benefit from.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
Kirbys Dreamland was my very first game I ever played, but besides this title I've never played another Kirby game.
For the Mario games it went similar only that I played three titles of the series (and finished only one of them)

So the first Nintendo series I got really into was Pokemon and I got stuck pretty fast. It went easily to the top of my gaming list, so it's actually my favourite Nintendo series.
Also there's the Legend of Zelda which is really good to, but not as good as Pokemon xD

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Dream Land 2 is in a weird spot because it's like a portable Adventure, so it uses the door overworld gimmick. But it does keep environments contained to the island. You're not playing a woods stage in a mountain level. To be fair, though, Adventure usually stays on point most of the time.
Adventure is the stem of the design I don't like in the series, but it's still fairly palatable in that first incarnation. I see Dream Land 2 as some kind of Adventure / Dream Land hybrid, but closer to Dream Land save for the overworld - I enjoyed it

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Pokemon for me, its the only type of games I now play. I can play for hours to days and never get bored of them. I guess Pokemon is overtaking all other games for me.

Don't know why, but I'm loosing interest in many other games. I used to love Mario and Zelda (at least from Nintendo) - now I just play them for about 2-3 minutes and get extremely bored with them.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I would say Pokemon obviously. Animal Crossing is another one.

I only really enjoy Mario games when they're RPGs or if it's Luigi's Mansion. (or is that a Luigi game?) Mario side scrollers are beyond boring and games like Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy keep me content but not really excited.

I have a mixed relationship with Zelda, I do like the games but I normally don't finish/get bored of the 3d adventures. I never finished Skyward Sword because that mini game where you had to run around in spirit world from the ghosts was too frustrating + boring. Bad combination.

I love Zelda's 2d adventures like a Link to the Past and the Oracle games, I'm looking forward to playing Oracle of Ages when it comes to virtual console because I only played Oracle of Seasons.

I've never actually played a Metroid game, well that's a lie I played the Metroid Fusion game we got in the free virtual console games. Really I wasn't that impressed...I don't think Metroid is for me although I'm willing to try out the 3d ones at some point.

Also it's not a series yet but if it's true that a new Xenoblade Chronicles game is coming to the Wii U I would include that series.

Also I really like the Earthbound series, Nintendo took their eye off the ball when they didn't localize that game.

I tend to shy away from the popular Nintendo experiences these days (Mario side scroller/Zelda adventures) I personally don't feel that's when Nintendo are at their best.

Back