• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you ashamed of where you come from?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
Whether it be where you live in your particular town?
Whether it be your family?
Whether it be your nationality?

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I'm not ashamed of where I come from, or who I am. Sometimes I feel ashamed of my family and how they act/react to certain things, but ultimately it's not genuine shame. I know they were raised the way they were and my disagreeing with some of the things they do shouldn't result in shame.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Not at all, I'm happy where I am. At times I have the opposite, sometimes I wish I was born in a different location like Central Africa (around Tanzania, Kenya, or South Sudan) just so I could speak Swahili natively instead of trying to learn it, same with Japan and Korea Republic (so I could speak Japanese or Korean natively, instead of having to learn it)

Whether it be where you live in your particular town? - May not like Los Angeles weather (where I'm originally from) happy to live in Seattle
Whether it be your family? - Mexican family is great, grandma is teaching me how to cook family foods - beign bilingual is great too, helps a lot (I speak both English and Spanish)
Whether it be your nationality? - I have not giving much thought on this

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
No Im not ashamed of my nationlaity, family or anything. Why should I be, I can't help where I was born of who my family is. Sometimes I wsh my family didnt act so weird but I can't change that, and that's a whole different story.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Nope. I'm proud to be me. If I ever feel that way because of a particularly person or group of people, then I know I shouldn't have those types of people in my life.

Years
Noope! I was born in Russia and wouldn't want to change that part of myself. Would have liked to not move to New York, but it's not something I'd say I'm ashamed of.

Years
I'm not ashamed of who I am or where I came from. I used to be ashamed of the fact that I came from an extremely messed family situation, but I've realized that I was extremely fortunate to be raised by my grandparents no matter how uber strict they were.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
I'm going to pull out the self-racism card and actually say yes: there are times when I read the news, and I'm ashamed to be Chinese because of what some Chinese people do for convenience or profit. In a sense, it's hard for that not to happen as there's bound to be some bad apples in any group of people, and when there's so many Chinese in the world, it'll seem like there are tons of them bad apples... but really, when there's news of fellow Chinese decided to open the window in a bus and pee into the road during a traffic jam, it makes me really wonder... >_>;

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
Years
I'm not ashamed with my nationality or in terms of family. However, I am ashamed of where I was born and raised... because of super high crime rates and stuff. I was born and raised in East New York, Brooklyn, but in the toughest areas of ENY.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Honestly? A little bit, but it doesn't stem from my country of origin or anything similiar, but rather my not-so-distant relatives, mostly on my biological father's side of the family tree. It's riddled with people that have made some terrible decisions in their lives and have done less than learn from them, if done anything at all besides repeat them. They are an unsuccessful, disappointing group of people. I hate to insult them like that, but I truly am not proud of that side of my family.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I'm proud of myself, in every aspect. I love my family, I love my nationality, and I love my country.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I'm proud of where I come from, mainly because it's not the country which I live in so it's kinda interesting I guess? And I just like where I come from a lot anyway and hope to go back there some day. So no, in that sense.

As for family... I don't think 'ashamed' would be the right word. But I definitely come from a less-than-ideal family with background which I prefer people don't know about. There's stuff which I'd just rather forget than accept, I suppose. That's probably not a particularly healthy way to go about it but meh. Not shame, just... unfortunate.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I "come from" (i.e. was born in) a place where I only lived for two years so I don't really care one way or the other about it. I do feel embarrassed for being from South Jersey though, everyone at my school that's from my state is from the rich, fancy northern half and it just sucks in lots of ways.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I'm only ashamed of my hometown, because it has one of the worst unemployment rates in the U.S. and suffers from air pollution, making asthma more common. Makes me wish I was born in San Diego or Anehiem.

von Weltschmerz

the first born unicorn
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
The only thing I'm "ashamed" of is that my county has the highest euthanasia rates for stray and unfound or forgotten animals in like all of California or something like that :s

Other than that one thing which isn't even directly tied to me or in anyway my fault, I'm ashamed of nothing.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
What Pinkie said, since we both live in the same area.

Not only that, it's a town no one has ever heard of. I go to San Diego or Yuma or other big city and I tell them "Oh, I'm from <there>" and they'll be like "What? Never even heard of that place, must be from another planet or something."

I was born in Mexico, I don't feel ashamed about that because all of my family was born there as well. Speaking of my family, everyone fights a lot, so the only days we don't fight is during holidays.

Years
Asking if I like living in England is the equivalent of asking a Goomba whether he likes being in Mario.

Me:
Yes, I like living in England, but there are flaws, quite a few, such as the people.

Goomba:
Yes, I like being in Mario, but there are flaws, quite a few, people try to jump on me.

Years
I like being from California, more even for being born in San Francisco and always living near to that city. Being American in general though is a mixed bag which is why I think of myself as a Californian first and an American second.

I am kinda ashamed of my family though.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I hate being from a small town in the northeastern United States, so much so that if people ask where I'm from I tell them <name of old college dorm>, born and raised, in the student union is where I spent most of my days (in Fresh Prince style, of course xD)

Ashamed of my family? Not really since they don't really have any reputation around our parts. I will say that I wished I had more affluent upbringings.

My nationality? I'm Korean, so it's hard to say. On the one hand, there's Gangnam Style, On the other hand, there's piece of junk cars like Kias and Hyundais. So on that front it's really a mixed bag for me.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I wouldn't say "ashamed", but I'm certainly not proud to be Australian. I hate patriotism and Australians have it in spades, and that has always bugged me. The "Aussie" culture has always bugged me with its self-importance and it kind of makes me a self-hating Australian lol

Back