• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Rocket: Too Weak?

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2016
I know that people will say that they're supposed to be weak because they're the typical kid show villains (ALWAYS being defeated), but does anyone think that Team Rocket need to be stronger?

Personally, I do. I think that they should start by bringing some old Pokémon back (namely Arbok and Weezing; the Ekans and Koffing they were guarding must have surely became strong enough to defend themselves), as well as letting them capture a few Pokémon and have a decent rotation.

Also, I think it would be a great plot twist if Ash could catch a Pokémon that didn't like him too much; train it for a little while and then have it join Team Rocket and STAY on their side. That would cause some very interesting character interactions for whatever arc it takes place in.

Additionally, I think that Cacnea should come back, or maybe a non-grass type like Growlie.

But yeah, I think that Team Rocket is weak (even for a comic relief team), and that they should finally start defeating Ash in at least a few of their encounters. Does anyone else agree?

Reactions: #18

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Hmm? Are you keeping up with the anime? Or are you watching something else? They've certainly become stronger and more competent. They've been actually presented as a legitimate threat to Ash&co lately. I mean they've been competent throughout Unova, but lately the writes have been reviving their old personalities and alternate goals to make them more well-rounded and interesting characters. And they're fairly powerful and sneaky and acting intelligently. They've been amazing lately, and seem to only be getting better.

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2016
Hmm? Are you keeping up with the anime? Or are you watching something else? They've certainly become stronger and more competent. They've been actually presented as a legitimate threat to Ash&co lately. I mean they've been competent throughout Unova, but lately the writes have been reviving their old personalities and alternate goals to make them more well-rounded and interesting characters. And they're fairly powerful and sneaky and acting intelligently. They've been amazing lately, and seem to only be getting better.
I'll admit that I didn't watch too much of the Unova saga... Just wasn't my cup of tea. I've mainly been watching the Sinnoh arc as I didn't watch too much of that either... I do know that Woobat is quite a good battler, though. Then again, how many times have Team Rocket managed to screw up a Pokémon that you think would be a good battler.

But it's good to know that they're finally posing a threat to Ash and Co.; after 13 series, it's about darn time. Heck, I might even start watching the anime again now because of this; badguys who are competent after all of this time.

And now that I think of it, Unova was meant to be a bit of a reboot, so that's probably why they've been given new personalities and such. Hopefully the new Team Rocket will stick around and not just slowly become their old selves again. I still want to see some of their older Pokémon return, though.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Well the thing was that they were all cold and professional and pretty much emotionless for a lot of the series, but then Things Happened and they started getting back to their old selves while still remaining pretty good at what they try to do.

I can see where you're coming from, though- Sinnoh!TR were definitely just a no-longer-funny joke. And it was sad. But they've def started being handled better.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I feel like Team Rocket was at their strongest during Kanto and Johto. In Hoenn and Sinnoh, I didn't find them to be strong at all. Maybe because they got rid of Weezing and Arbok? Im not sure, but in Unova they are pretty strong. In fact, they might be the strongest they have ever been in the whole series.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jun 11, 2013
I must keep up to date with the more recent episodes. I did hear that they became more competent recently. It should be interesting to see.

To OP, I love all of your ideas. So cool & fresh!

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
i think they should be more powerful, but also still defeatable. i too have just started watching unova and i like that they are serious, but i also miss theyre bombastic personalities in previous sagas. i nice blend of that would be good i suppose

Years
Well if you have watched the current episodes regularly, you will notice that after the Meleotta event in the Undersea Temple episodes, they have gone back to their old selves a bit just like old times

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
One of the things the Unova saga did right was make Team Rocket stronger and smarter, and having them not appear in every episode allows for more focus on Ash and his adventures. They were like the Team Plasma of the saga before the actual Team Plasma started showing up. They're less bumbling, but as of late seem to be showing hints of their goofy side again, which makes me happy. I kinda miss old comical Team Rocket, appearing in every episode, however little their role may be. xD

Years
  • Seen Sep 2, 2021
Hmmm....

Yeah, I do think there should be a episode where Ash has a Pokemon that he trains for a while, not too long, and then goes over to Team Rocket. If say the Pokemon that goes over to TR was example, Ash's Chikorita, it would be too much of a blow.

Years
Team Rocket is stronger than ever in the new episodes! I like the fact that they dont appear in every episode! :)

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Okay, yes, they were ~formally weak~ in Jotho, Hoenn and Sinnoh. Upon the end of Sinnoh, however, they got a new mission for Unova and they thus became stronger, darker, and more BA. Until "New Places...Familiar Faces" that is, which is when they reverted back to their old ways. Also, Growlie is more of a pet to James and the only way he can get his Cacnea back is if he goes back to Sinnoh, which is highly unlikely. He also released his Weezing. Jessie also released her Arbok, but chances of them getting these Pokemon back could happen I guess. Not bad ideas, though.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
Instead of a return of their former pokemon why not some new powerful ones? Maybe Garbador and Mandibuzz, for example. Or at lest have Yamask and Woobat evolve.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I like Yamask as it is, but Woobat could evolve and then both Jessie and James would have an evolved an unevolved Pokémon. And there's been some speculation with a basis in fact that Wobbuffet will be coming back. And Wobbu is really, really powerful when Jessie remembers how to use him.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
I'd like to have Wobbuffet back. As long as Jessie can use it to its full potential and its more serious. It can still pop unexpectedly out of its pokeball. Just not as often.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I'm not sure they will though. Or if I want them to. Yes, they'd be stronger, but they're pretty strong already. And I'd like them to have some personality before we see them evolve so it's not just like "oh ok they're evolved now" it's like "OH HEY COOL LOOK THEY EVOLVED!"

Back