• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] The future of Pokémon Essentials

JokerBen

Director of Pokémon Nobelium
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 29, 2023
Hey guys! I was thinking that in the summer months we help Maruno out a lot, by going to scavenger for resources. So that way Maruno's work is cut in half. I think that if I can get a team (and Maruno's permission :P ), we can turn Essentials into some thing that is more epic than X and Y. What I was thinking of is we can bounce ideas of in this thread and make them reality in Essentials. That would basically mean a community wide project to make Essentials what we want Essentials to be!

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
There are already many threads about this topic... Infact, we all have some input here and there anyway.

Suggestions
Animations
Game Over
Caterpillar
Nickname Word Filter
B/W Load Screen
Extra PokéGear Features
Difficulty Modes

The Wiki could do with finishing anyway.

Then there's the Resources page.

Personally, I already think Essentials is better, since we can make it how we want it, Maruno is doing a hell of a lot of work by himself, for sure... But still, it is already a community kit anyway... We don't need a team to be "formed" since we are already somewhat a team... This is why, if you check any game made so far with the kit, there is a "Credits" spoiler.

Essentials will build and get better gradually, don't rush something that doesn't need to be rushed.

JokerBen

Director of Pokémon Nobelium
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 29, 2023
There are already many threads about this topic... Infact, we all have some input here and there anyway.

Suggestions
Animations
Game Over
Caterpillar
Nickname Word Filter
B/W Load Screen
Extra PokéGear Features
Difficulty Modes

The Wiki could do with finishing anyway.

Then there's the Resources page.

Personally, I already think Essentials is better, since we can make it how we want it, Maruno is doing a hell of a lot of work by himself, for sure... But still, it is already a community kit anyway... We don't need a team to be "formed" since we are already somewhat a team... This is why, if you check any game made so far with the kit, there is a "Credits" spoiler.

Essentials will build and get better gradually, don't rush something that doesn't need to be rushed.

I know, in fact I considered trashing it at first. I just thought this could be a place to bounce off ideas an collaborate.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
These are fair points and suggestions.

Certainly the All Animations Project can/should be worked on (not just making them, but figuring out how best to make them and deciding what is needed to make them). I'll have a look at the graphics-based load screen. I happen not to like FL's approach to the difficulty modes, but it's a valid suggestion (which should really be in the Suggestions thread, in that case).

The wiki always needs improving.

Pokémon games don't have a "game over". Pokémon following won't be added until it's proven that a developer can use it properly without a whole raft of special requirements (unlikely). Censorship is simply unnecessary without multiplayer (and even then, probably not really). The linked Pokégear tutorial offers nothing new at all.

It's that kind of thinking which ends up with me making all the contributions. Since I happen to be strongly likely to take a break from active work on Essentials after the next release, it'll mean either the community should shape itself up and actually do something, or Essentials won't progress any further.

That's where this thread comes in, I think. It's not a "say what you want" thread, it's a "what can we do?" thread. The All Animations Project has its own thread, but there's nothing for every other aspect of Essentials (including the wiki). That might as well be this thread.

I think any discussion about improving Essentials should be based solely on what comes with it by default (and what should come with it by default). You'll forgive me for ignoring/discounting the existence of third party scripts and resources when talking about the development of Essentials. Indeed, I don't write down any of them in my "things to consider adding to Essentials" list unless people say they want to see them added, and people rarely ever say that.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
It's that kind of thinking which ends up with me making all the contributions. Since I happen to be strongly likely to take a break from active work on Essentials after the next release, it'll mean either the community should shape itself up and actually do something, or Essentials won't progress any further.
I once told you that what we have here is not a "community" but a bunch of people always wanting more features without contributing a single thing themselves. And i offered you a solution where we could fix this attitude a little bit and my offer is still available. But i guess that isn't a subject to talk here.
I am really sad about you wanting to stop working on essentials. Without you essentials wouldn't be as good as it is right now and i feel like your hard work isn't appreciated enough. But i am sure your next project (if you plan any) will be even more successful then essentials was and you can count on me if you need some help.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Just grabbed a few things as examples, I wasn't making a list of features and add-ons.
Maybe you should join a production and give Essentials a rest for a while and work on an actual game... Just a suggestion... You may start to enjoy coding again (if you're bored that is)... Or even if it's what you want to do at all, at least you aren't called up on every 2 minutes for help on silly problems.

EDIT:

I once told you that what we have here is not a "community" but a bunch of people always wanting more features without contributing a single thing themselves.
This is true.
And i offered you a solution where we could fix this attitude a little bit and my offer is still available. But i guess that isn't a subject to talk here.
Be interesting to know what you said ;)

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
I'm all for this project, 100% support for it and such but, saying ''more epic than X and Y'' seems like you have a bit too much of high expectations, I'm not trying to shoot you down, but unless we get some form of 3D support, or able to have .objs for houses in Essentials, I can't this becoming anywhere close to X and Y's current level.

We can be close, having it in a 2D format, but it won't be as ''epic'' as X/Y.

It'll be epic on it's own level.

Maruno

Years
I once told you that what we have here is not a "community" but a bunch of people always wanting more features without contributing a single thing themselves. And i offered you a solution where we could fix this attitude a little bit and my offer is still available. But i guess that isn't a subject to talk here.
I am really sad about you wanting to stop working on essentials. Without you essentials wouldn't be as good as it is right now and i feel like your hard work isn't appreciated enough. But i am sure your next project (if you plan any) will be even more successful then essentials was and you can count on me if you need some help.
I said I'll stop actively working on Essentials, i.e. doing things by myself. I'll still gather things other people have made and put out releases (so long as people suggest things be added, and those things are good enough to be added). I'll also still be around to provide feedback and answers and all that.

My only other project would be my TCG add-on to Essentials, which I hope to pick back up. I also want to learn another programming language (starting with C#, I think), and do something different.

Just grabbed a few things as examples, I wasn't making a list of features and add-ons.
Maybe you should join a production and give Essentials a rest for a while and work on an actual game... Just a suggestion... You may start to enjoy coding again (if you're bored that is)... Or even if it's what you want to do at all, at least you aren't called up on every 2 minutes for help on silly problems.
If I was to work on an actual game, I doubt it'd be a Pokémon one, because I fancy a change of scenery. I still enjoy coding. I'd just like to work with other people for once, rather than do everything myself for minimal thanks.

Be interesting to know what you said ;)
His suggestion was that Essentials be moved to its own forum/website/wiki rather than be here and on a Wikia wiki, and encourage actual developers to join and help with Essentials. I didn't think moving Essentials elsewhere would help anything.

The one thing I suggested in return is that such a website/forum/wiki could be used as the home of a porting project, to move Essentials out of RMXP and into a free and custom engine. I'm all for this idea, but I've not heard anything from the__end since then.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
I'm all for this project, 100% support for it and such but, saying ''more epic than X and Y'' seems like you have a bit too much of high expectations, I'm not trying to shoot you down, but unless we get some form of 3D support, or able to have .objs for houses in Essentials, I can't this becoming anywhere close to X and Y's current level.

I personally think it'd be easier to get MGC's Neo Mode 7 to work with essentials instead. I had a try but I have hardly any scripting knowledge so I have no idea what the errors mean.

@Maruno, people suggest stuff merely because they cannot script it themselves. Your scripting knowledge is amazing. And most people don't even know C (me included). But I will start to learn it and possibly ruby, which isn't exactly commonplace either.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
I once told you that what we have here is not a "community" but a bunch of people always wanting more features without contributing a single thing themselves.
True story. I wish to have more time to contribute with more things.

XY almost have no features revelated! Or did you judge a game merely by graphics? Game Freak always have the same defects (some are very silly like trade evolution) and there are several nostalgic players that will prefer classic graphics style.

I said I'll stop actively working on Essentials, i.e. doing things by myself. I'll still gather things other people have made and put out releases (so long as people suggest things be added, and those things are good enough to be added). I'll also still be around to provide feedback and answers and all that.

My only other project would be my TCG add-on to Essentials, which I hope to pick back up. I also want to learn another programming language (starting with C#, I think), and do something different.
Several devs will agree that this awesome kit will not be the same without this awesome (almost only) contributor.

I suggest you to try Unity, a free professional 3D game engine that uses C# and a .NET implementation of JavaScript, called UnityScript by many. This engine had an amazing growth, it outclasses the others pro engines at least in fame.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
The one thing I suggested in return is that such a website/forum/wiki could be used as the home of a porting project, to move Essentials out of RMXP and into a free and custom engine. I'm all for this idea, but I've not heard anything from the__end since then.

I am all for a new engine, I would love to try out how to make a complete engine from scratch. If you decide on what language you want to do it in please give me an inbox, I would love to test out how I improved my programming skills.

I suggest you to try Unity, a free professional 3D game engine that uses C# and a .NET implementation of JavaScript, called UnityScript by many. This engine had an amazing growth, it outclasses the others pro engines at least in fame.

I found UDK to be quite easy to use.

Last edited:

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016

Ahh that is nice to hear! ^^

If I was to work on an actual game, I doubt it'd be a Pokémon one, because I fancy a change of scenery. I still enjoy coding. I'd just like to work with other people for once, rather than do everything myself for minimal thanks.
I would like to work on a game under your lead. Personally i would suggest you a Pokemon game as well because that is the interest people here share. Besides that i have almost finished the complete HGSS tielset (still without buildings) and would contribute it for that game so it has awesome graphics. However it would be interesting to see what kind of game you would like to work on! :)

His suggestion was that Essentials be moved to its own forum/website/wiki rather than be here and on a Wikia wiki, and encourage actual developers to join and help with Essentials. I didn't think moving Essentials elsewhere would help anything.

Sry for not answering. :3c Was busy learning for exams and stuff. But back to the topic.
The site maruno talks about is this one --> http://pokemonessentials.com/
It was first intended to be a site with a main page where you have download links to all available versions of essentials, different galleries with resources (like spriters resources but for Pokemon only), an intern wiki and a forum where developer could gather to discuss and contribute stuff. To sum it up it should be a site for Pokemon game development and essentials.

Now that i think about it, building the site on my own was a mistake. So let me give you guys the site as a present. I bought the webspace for 6 months and 3 have already passed. In the other 3 months you guys can decide what route the site should take and how it should look like. How you decide it is up to you. Make polls or discussion threads here to decide the Admins/Moderators, what kind of content management system will be used (WordPress, phpBB), the content posted there itself and so on. You are free to do whatever you want with it as long as it is about Pokemon game development. :)

Maruno

Years
The site maruno talks about is this one --> http://pokemonessentials.com/
It was first intended to be a site with a main page where you have download links to all available versions of essentials, different galleries with resources (like spriters resources but for Pokemon only), an intern wiki and a forum where developer could gather to discuss and contribute stuff. To sum it up it should be a site for Pokemon game development and essentials.

Now that i think about it, building the site on my own was a mistake. So let me give you guys the site as a present. I bought the webspace for 6 months and 3 have already passed. In the other 3 months you guys can decide what route the site should take and how it should look like. How you decide it is up to you. Make polls or discussion threads here to decide the Admins/Moderators, what kind of content management system will be used (WordPress, phpBB), the content posted there itself and so on. You are free to do whatever you want with it as long as it is about Pokemon game development. :)
As I've mentioned, I think the only use for another website/forum/whatever would be to be the base of operations for a porting project. Even then, a free forum/etc. would suffice; I'm uncomfortable about anyone paying for anything Essentials-related. What we already have for Essentials (the wiki and here) is good enough in my eyes.

Perhaps other people have different opinions, though.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
As I've mentioned, I think the only use for another website/forum/whatever would be to be the base of operations for a porting project. Even then, a free forum/etc. would suffice; I'm uncomfortable about anyone paying for anything Essentials-related. What we already have for Essentials (the wiki and here) is good enough in my eyes.

Perhaps other people have different opinions, though.

Of course a porting project is not excluded as a way of usage. And you don't need to feel uncomfortable for something i bought out of my own free will and being aware of the risk that it could die without being used. Besides that it is already paid for another three months. The people here can decide if and for what they want to use it. I know that most of the people here are lazy and won't even bother thinking about the possibilities but there are some that may be interested in the future of the tool they are using for free and maybe they are willing to help porting essentials to a free platform. And these people are the best suited to decide what route essentials should take and they deserve to have an own site which is not full of selfish people that only want more for themselves without contributing something. :)

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
I personally think there should be more people adding on to Essentials. Granted I havent learned to script yet, so i am talking down about pretty much every scripter here. There are select few who post Custom Code from there games or projects. Its a cool idea to post all of your code for other people to use it. But at the same time, posting less will almost force people to script for themselves (like me) which is also good. I am going to attempt to learn Ruby, then possibly make my own starter kit. That way a get the satisfaction of helping people out, and completing something. That is my rant. :P enjoy yourselves!

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
I personally think there should be more people adding on to Essentials. Granted I havent learned to script yet, so i am talking down about pretty much every scripter here. There are select few who post Custom Code from there games or projects. Its a cool idea to post all of your code for other people to use it. But at the same time, posting less will almost force people to script for themselves (like me) which is also good. I am going to attempt to learn Ruby, then possibly make my own starter kit. That way a get the satisfaction of helping people out, and completing something. That is my rant. :P enjoy yourselves!

Instead making your own "starter kit" how about helping Essentials with scripts like you suggested other scripter to do? :sideways:

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
Instead making your own "starter kit" how about helping Essentials with scripts like you suggested other scripter to do? :sideways:
Well, I probably will start with adding on Essentials. Posting codes for people to use and add on. But my plan is to either release my own Starter Kit, or just rewrite all of my game. Making it not use Essentials, thus making in more original. At least that's the plan. I highly doubt ill learn enough fast enough to develop my own kit. But at the same time, once i post code to optimize, ill have to deal with even more generic game features. And how to help people fix there issues, as people can't read. Maybe I would just give the codes to Maruno, so he can add them if he likes them. I don't know. Hmm, Decisions Decisions.

Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2016
i never posted here, i guess, but i always read everything here and i'm still trying to start up some project i have lot of ideas but i fell some lack of resources and i dont have much knowledge to do it...

but here is my suggestion:

why not create an essential kit like the one we already have for rmxp, but for unity 3d or some sort of 3d engine powerfull enough to evolve trough time and keep compatibly with an online sharing database with focus on android, iphone and windows, with an double side create and play? hacks and game development are always under gamefreak level, but i see a lot of unity 3d games around and they all can go very further the gen 6 level...

this essentials kit for unity 3d would came with all rpg mechanics directly in pokemon style, every pokemon, moves, and everything from the main series (regions, etc) on the database, all revamped on full 3d style, creating some kind of auto update pokemon engine, with both, play and create feature, all online.

i dont know how unity 3d works and if can be created something on this level or would be need a complete new engine, but the idea is some way to unite all people and all works on something of online shop to upload and download things, on this way we can have something better than gen 6 on graphics, and an dashboard to everyone who plays be able to start up your own story, own game inside a big game with the same engine, this way fakemons, regions, stories, different gameplays, would have their set of unique features and each thing of it, would be reused on another projects.. creating a database of resources to be linked in each project. it would make possible to create fakemons and use fakemons created by others on your project, creating an complete fanmade pokedex, the games would be marked as using or not fakemons, it would make possible to visit a region of a game someone created, with the player of another creator, someone create a game A, someone else a game B, you can start on a game and jump to another one, with the same character and pokemons, you can transfers all your pokemon from a lot of fangames into one big box, since each feature would be add to the main database for everyone. some years after this start up we would have an infinite options to create more and more. it would end up that thing of "you stole my tile" since each individual resource would be marked by this author, and the engine would credit each thing. when play some game the client download only the files needed to the sd card. the engine would have some battle system compatible to any kind of fangame created beside the custom battle system, and this would make possible to battle on the cell phone trough wifi, 3g, or any kind of connection of the cellphone, the engine would be linked with social features, and even put the client of the engine himself as an home for the cellphone, connected with your contact list, so you can trade and battle, some king of viber-whatsapp + pokemon + facebook home i mean.... so everyone would create, share, and play every kind of projects someone create and reuse it, today is a little hard to know all hacks and all games made by the fandom, and everyone who startup something bust redone a lot of things by himself... and this would be made only once. once this is created, the community would self updated it for itself.. people would even earn money with this... its just an egg idea, must work up, i guess that some of you can put it further... them everyone would join in... i'm not interested on lead it, i'm to weak on knowledge by now, but if someone start a thread about this i will show up with more ideas and the general concept...

this idea can be also for other kind of games, pokemon is an rpg turn based, so we can have this>

engine for the database for the connectivity, sharing, and social feature > sub engine for rpg, to be expanded to other kinds of rpg, splited on types of rpg, along with other kinds of engines for other kinds of games, since them all are on the same root platform, we can have some compatibly using each feature as a plug and play on a project allowing a game with more than one engines > sub engine for pokemon

once the root engine is updated every child engine are updated too, without messing up the keys of the games, so they can still be playable after the author dies... lol for exemple, i create a game now, with up to gen 5 pokemon, then i die, i dont need to update the game to my game have gen 6, 7, 8, 1003838722, pokemon, since the main engine would be updated, someone can like my game, and make a sequel pluging it directly on the end of my game, if i'm alive i can mark it as official.. if not everyone who access this will se the sequel because this will be tagged... time will run and new os will be made, so all we have to do is updated the main engine, grapphics can be enhanced as an individual set, well the possibilities are infinite... all we need is an main structure...

that... would be epic... and may be even possible to find a way to make the original games compatible with fangames...

Maruno

Years
but here is my suggestion:
You don't want much, do you?

I'd love for a new, free, open-source Pokémon game engine to appear and be useful and great. I'd happily help out with its development. The problem is that making not just a game engine but also a game creator is an awful lot of work, not to mention there are many different ways to go about it (choice of programming language, paradigms, etc.) and deciding which is best/most suitable is a tough thing to do.

Back