• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Are shinies too easy to find in Gen 6?

Kiara

Laughing Hyena
Years
  • Age 32
  • Ohio
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
The shiny rate in the friend safari absolutely has to be lower because I've caught three shinies just tonight. One hunt took an hour, the others less than 15 minutes within looking.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
To me, the shiny encounter rate seems to be the same as all previous games, to be honest. Nothing's changed. Just like in any other Pokémon game, the only thing that shinies depend on is your luck. If you're lucky enough, then you may run into one shiny Pokémon after another continuously. If you're not, then, well, you may never be able to encounter one. It's been more than a week since I've gotten Pokémon Y, I think, and so far, I've been able to run into only one shiny. It was a Litleo, which I found on Route 22 at the beginning of the game. I wasn't able to capture this Pokémon though, unfortunately, because I accidentally made it faint when trying to weaken it. ): Anyway, if you've been encountering shinies more often, then have you given any tip to any people recently? I've heard that handing out tips actually increase the chances of your shiny encounter, buuut… it's still unconfirmed. If it does turn out to be true, then every time I go out to a restaurant, I'll always make sure to leave some tips behind.

Last edited:
Years
i am in 48 hours of game play and i have never encountered a shiny pokemon so far.If i find one i am gonna throw a party and you all will be invited!!!!!

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Nov 27, 2014
Hey guys I want to try chain fishing, but there is a possibility of "Nothing is biting" and reeling in the Fishing Rod too slow, (missed opportunity of a maybe-shiny encounter) so does these things break your chain or.. doesn't these things have any effect on your chain at all? And what does chain fishing mean, do you have to encounter as many Pokemon as possible without "reeling in your Rod too slow"?

Does anyone know? I would like to know :) Thanks!

Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Sep 16, 2014
I've found 2 shinies this week, one in the wild and one after I chain fish. I was not trying to chain fish though, I was looking for a Starmie and in my second reel in I got a shiny Quiwlfish.

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 13, 2014
Hey guys I want to try chain fishing, but there is a possibility of "Nothing is biting" and reeling in the Fishing Rod too slow, (missed opportunity of a maybe-shiny encounter) so does these things break your chain or.. doesn't these things have any effect on your chain at all? And what does chain fishing mean, do you have to encounter as many Pokemon as possible without "reeling in your Rod too slow"?

Does anyone know? I would like to know :) Thanks!

Throw your rod out in the water somewhere. DON'T MOVE A SINGLE INCH. Moving even if it's one step will break the chain. Not getting a bite will break your chain. Reeling to slow/to early will also break your chain. Get a Pokémon with Suction Cups ability (Inkay for example) and put him on front of your party; it's almost impossible not to get a bite that way.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
I haven't found a single shiny Pokemon in the game yet in 13 hours of game play. No, I don't think finding a shiny is particularly easy. Some people just get lucky is all.

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
I have only 2 spread across the past 3 days. Clauncher and relicanth, both from chain fishing. I looked before that and got nothing the normal way. I am mming honedge though.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I usually encounter ONE shiny in each game after about 200-600 hours.

This time it only took 80 hours.

If I encounter one shiny every 100 hours, I would still call that "Rare".

Years
i found 3 shiny ivysaurs in the safari last night while trying to find a female ivysaur...still havent found the female.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
Hi guys, I thought by myself, hm okay challenge accepted. I started chain fishing this morning, in about 30 mins (after like 17 chains or so) I got a shiny Horsea (female). Now after, to be exact, 35 chains I've got myself a shiny Horsea again (male) :D I was really happy this does work.

@Decimosoma, yes thanks for your tips :) It is true though many people have tried.
Since my game crashed last week because of the save glitch in Lumiose T_T I will try the Friend Safari one too when I beat the Elite Four (again).

So... back to chain myself a Clauncher then. ^_^ Everyone else, happy hunting!

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I ran into a horde of Wingulls the other day and one of them were shiny (the one shiny was on the sides) I couldn't tell which one, by looking at the bar or the choice which one is shiny, so I accidently knocked out the shiny one. This is the only shiny I ran into so far and Im not planning to use any methods to find one

:t354:TG

Tunuko

Huntin' Shinies!
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 8, 2014
I've found 2 shiny skiddo, in previous games I've only ever found a shiny Delibird, so thinking this game is easier... but then I was chaining >.> Going to chain fish later to get some more :D

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Well, i tried to get an eevee by MM'ing. However i'm now at 7 full boxes and kinda tired. So i went to a friend safari to catch some ditto's, and the first encounter was a blue ditto.Guess my first official shiny is a ditto...Better than nothing i guess.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
@Tatsujin Well that is really bad :( I can explain though if you like;

When ecountering a horde battle, the first pokemon (1 of 5) is on the very most left.
So in the battle screen this is the pokemon on the bottom left. The second Pokemon is on the top left, third Pokemon is right in the middle, the fourth Pokemon is on the top right and the fifth Pokemon is on the bottom right of your battle screen (I tried to explain it as how it would look like in your battle screen where you can select run etc. but you have to choose an attack to see the spots in your battle screen though)

So if for example the shiny Wingull you encountered was on the fifth spot when encountering a horde battle (first one of the right since all those Pokemon are lined-up in a row when encountering a horde battle), then that Wingull would be on the bottom-right spot in your battle screen. I hope I did make this something more clear to you ^_^ but you could practise in horde battles to find out yourself :)

Back