• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unionhack

Yes Indeed
Years
I recently finished a Nuzclocke run on Silver version (and by finished I mean I lost before the fifth gym leader), so I'm not doing another one of those for a while.

I once did a one-gender-only run. Rules are that the gender of your starter dictates what kind of gender pokemon you can catch. Believe it or not, it makes it quite a bit harder to catch a few pokemon.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I meant openng up a speed run thread. This way people can compete for the best time. They must supply evidence of their final time. The evidence is subject to evaluation, etc, etc.
Everyone who wants to do this should join PROJECT ALPHA FAN. We're working on beating the record for Blue Version (which according to the Guiness Book of Video Games Records currently is at 1:55). Except its not really a free for all challenge, its more of a team challenge. Nevertheless, I think it would be cool to try to collectively get the record in every game.

Years
I had this idea in mind a while back, the Mono-AttackType challenge. Basically, your Pokemon's moves must correspond to their type.

For example, a Blastoise would only be allowed to use a moveset such as Surf, Hydro Cannon, Withdraw, Rain Dance, all of which are Water type. (Obviously by considering this, dual-type Pokemon are a lot more useful probably)

Coming off my mind right away are moves such as Confuse Ray which could only be present on Ghost Pokemon.

The rule would be that you must delete moves of type not matching that Pokemon as soon as possible, either by overwriting them with the appropriate moves or deleting them. It would be a must to enforce that by the time you meet the move deleter, you MUST delete all non-matching type moves.

An alternative way to make the challenge easier to implement would be to do it the other way round, i.e. your Pokemon's moves must NOT be of the same type as the Pokemon itself; i.e. a Charizard with Earthquake, Rock Slide, Swords Dance and Dragon Claw.
(This would make the challenge much easier, imo, as you have a lot more coverage, though you lose STAB)

amberfunk

Almost master trainer
Years
  • Seen May 15, 2014
I like that idea for a challenge emoxy. You should start a challenge like that. I would definitely join:) It sounds like a lot of fun.
I put up a challenge myself today. I hope some people join and its not just me doing my challenge all alone. I made a challenge where you can only use pokemon that are similar to pets in the real world.

Years
  • Seen May 20, 2015
I was thinking of a ShinyGoldX nuzlocke challenge since that game is pretty hard.

ArcanineOod

DESU.
Years
Has anyone got any ideas for Mystery Dungeon challenges? I know that most of the conventional challenges would be pretty hard/impossible to do because you and your partner have to be different types, but still. I also realise that the Mystery Dungeon games take EONS to complete, so any threads would probably die before anyone completed the challenge. It's just that I have so many spare MD cartridges and I'd love to do a couple of challenges on them.

Here are some challenges I thought of for MD. Not amazing, but still. Worth chucking out there for opinions.

~ No Gummis - no eating gummis, so no IQ increase. Cuts off some useful IQ skills (such as nonsleeper).
~ No Held Items - Held items are a large part of MD, so a challenge where you can't use them could be... Challenging.
~ No Recruiting - Just you and your partner all the way through. I know quite a few people do this anyway, so perhaps not.
~ No Power Ups - Such as Ginseng and Protein/Iron etc. Possibly used in conjuction with the No Gummi challenge.
~ No Wonder Orbs - No using Orbs. Could be a challenge for those who rely on Petrify Orbs or the like to see them through Monster Houses.
~ A challenge where only you use Moves - turn moves off for your partner and only let them use their regular attack.
~ No Extra Dungeons - Only visit the dungeons essential to the storyline.

What do you lot think? Any potential for an MD challenge or two, or is it best to focus on the main games?
xX

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I originally had a sort of mystery dungeon challenge, where you basically played like mystery dungeon: you could only have 3 Pokemon at a time, you sharked in your first two from the normal mystery dungeon starters list, and you had to have one of them with you at all times.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
A cool challenge to do would be to only use the first 6 (or 5 if you want a slot for an HM Slave) Pokemon that you encounter. So if you run into a Bidoof and faint it you must catch a Bidoof as soon as possible. And if you want different Pokemon on your team you can take the games slow and look for Pokemon where you want to.

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 10, 2020
I had an idea, The Version-Exclusive Challenge (Or: The Not-in-the-counterpart Challenge):D

A Challenge where you´re only allowed to use pokemons who don´t appear in the counterpart, like Fx using Vileplume in Firered or Victreebel in Leafgreen.

If anyone likes the idea i can host it between my other 2 challenges, or if someone else wants to, i would happily join.:D

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I would probably end up doing that because I'm going to do every challenge. The only problem is that in some versions it takes a while to get those Pokemon iirc.

Melody

Banned
Years
Here's an idea: 3 Moveslot HM Challenge

This challenge is not intended to cripple game play beyond the below listed rules. We don't want to make it too insanely difficult to play. If you want to make it interesting, offer the more restrictive rules under a 'challenge tier' so that not everyone is bound to them.

Additionally this challenge is meant to provide a breath of fresh air to those who are tired of the same old basic challenges which restrict types or number of party Pokemon and such.

Naturally, if you choose to host this challenge, I only ask that you follow the host rules.
The host rules are in place to preserve the spirit of this challenge, which is simply to be something that is unique but not overly restrictive.

Feel free to insert rules to ensure proper updating of the thread about the player's current progress.

The rules:
3 Usable Moveslots: (Essentially you must fill the extra moveslot with any HM)

1. This challenge starts officially only after you've obtained your first HM in the game. This gives you time to build a starting team up, trade in usable Pokemon, ect.
1a. No hacked Pokemon please. If you cannot legally obtain it, you must not hack it in.
1b. You may store Pokemon in the PC and actively swap members of your team to stay in compliance with the rules.
1c. All Pokemon in your battling team MUST know ONE HM move.
1d. You must designate your starting Pokemon in your entry post. This can be any of the starter Pokemon you can choose from at the beginning of the game or any Pokemon you can legally obtain via trading before you obtain your first HM.
1e. Your designated Starter Pokemon MUST be able to learn at least ONE HM found in your game. It cannot be traded to your game as your starter if it knows any HM moves.
1f. You may trade Pokemon to your game to add to your team
1g. You may not trade Pokemon who know HM moves you have not obtained in the game or lack the badge to use outside of battle. (This means you cant trade a Pokemon that knows Fly to your game unless you have found the Fly HM AND have the badge required to use it outside of battle
1h. This challenge is completed when you defeat the Elite 4 and the Champion. (Essentially when the credits roll for the first time)​

2. When you obtain your first HM, One Pokemon in your team must immediately learn the HM.
2a. Any Pokemon who cannot or do not learn that HM must boxed away.
2b. See Rules 4a, 4b and 4c, as they apply here. (4b and 4c don't apply if the optional rules are omitted)
2c. With the exception of your Starter Pokemon. This means you can keep the Pokemon who learned the HM and your Starter.
2d. If you do not teach your designated Starter the first HM, you must teach it the first one you are able to teach it.​

3. When you obtain a new HM, you must be able to teach it to ONE Pokemon in your team immediately. Please do some research if you must to ensure you don't find an HM you cant teach to any of your current party members.
3a. You may carry only one Pokemon which lacks an HM move, but it MUST NOT participate in battle.
3b. [Optional Challenge Rule]If all other Pokemon have fainted, and you have No Revives to use to obey Rule 3a, then you have lost the challenge.
3c. If you are carrying a Pokemon with no HM, you must ensure that it can learn the next HM you find.
3d. [Optional Challenge Rule]If you find the next HM and the Pokemon qualifying under Rule 3c is unable to learn the HM immediately, then you have lost the challenge.

4. Upon catching any Pokemon, you must immediately teach it any HM move if it lands in your party. No exceptions. If it goes straight to your PC, it's fine.
4a. If it is unable to learn any of your HMs, you must proceed straight to the next PC. in the game and box it. No exceptions.
4b. [Optional Challenge Rule]If after catching a Pokemon that qualifies under Rule 4a, you are at any point in the game where you cannot immediately proceed to a PC without completing another portion of the storyline, or participating in any trainer battle, then you have lost the challenge.
4c. [Optional Challenge Rule]When you are qualified under rule 4b, If you catch any Pokemon, stop at any PokeMart/Department Store, or enter any other building that does not contain a PC and interact with any characters in there, you have automatically lost the challenge.

5. You must not use your HM moves in battle This includes ALL moves, even the ones that reduce stats and are useless after 6 uses on one opponent Pokemon.
5a. Except when all other moves have 0 PP remaining
5b. You may switch Pokemon when your attack moves run out of PP, but you are not required to do so, you may exhaust all other moves PP if you feel you must use the HM.​

6. You may not use any HM slaves. Your team must know the necessary HMs to pass through the terrain.
6a. No Pokemon may know more than one HM move. The HMs must be distributed equally amongst your team.
6b. [Optional Challenge Rule]No two Pokemon in your party can know the same HM move.
6c. [Optional Challenge Rule]If any Pokemon qualify under Rule 6c, they MUST NOT participate in battle.

Rules for potential hosts:
1. You must not add any rules banning any specific Pokemon which can be legally obtained.
1a. You may tier your challengers based upon the Pokemon they select, but you may not decline any challenger entry based upon the legally obtainable Pokemon they selected.
1b. You may not decline any challengers because you did not include a tier for the Pokemon they have selected. (All Pokemon must fall into one of your challenge tiers)
1c. You must not add any rules banning the use of any legally obtainable items or legally learned moves which cannot be used outside of battle
1d. This challenge may not be combined with any other challenge which contains rules which violate these host rules.
1e. If you intend to combine this challenge with any other, you must remove any rules which violate these host rules.
1f. You must credit me when hosting this challenge. Just mention me somewhere ok?
1g. You may not edit the rules which are not optional or insert rules which override them in any situation.

2. You may omit any rules marked [Optional Challenge Rule].
2a. It is recommended that you include a tier of challengers for which the Optional Challenge Rules do apply. This is not required.
2b. When following 2a, you must not ban any Legitimately Obtainable Pokemon from challenge play tiers.
2c. You may add any rules to make the challenge more challenging to this tier so long as they are not expressly prohibited by any other Host Rule.
2d. You may not enforce the Optional Challenge Rules upon all entrants and offer no tier without those rules. Either you have a tier without Optional Rules or you do without them entirely.​

3. Rule 1 and it's children apply to all tiers, including challenge play tiers. Rule 2 and it's children only applies to challenge play tiers.

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Wait... Rule 6 says you can't have any HM slaves, but you can only have one HM per battle. What if you need more than 6 HMs?

Melody

Banned
Years
Can you cite any areas in any Pokemon game which requires you to carry all 7 HMs?
(I bet you can't because Fly does not open the path to anything you must pass through to complete the game)

Additionally, an HM slave is a pokemon that knows more than one HM, and you can't use HMs in battle.

Note that there have been several refining edits to the previous post as well, feel free to raise any further concerns

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Oh yeah, I didn't actually think of what the HMs did XD. I guess you don't ever need Fly or Flash/Defog. In Heart Gold and Soul Silver you need Cut, Surf, Strength, Whirlpool, Rock Smash, Waterfall, and Rock Climb though, don't you?

Melody

Banned
Years
Actually I think Flash/Defog are useful when you're crawling through caves/areas that are Dark/Foggy, so I wouldn't require people to do without those moves, but if you've played through the game enough already you probably won't always need them in those situations either. xD

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 10, 2020
Ok, a list of the first obtainable Version Exclusve pokemons:

Red: Mankey, Before 1. Gym
Blue: Meowth, Before 1. Gym

Gold/Heart Gold: Spinarak, Before 1. Gym
Silver/Soul Silver: Ledyba, Before 1. Gym

Ruby: Seedot, Before 1. Gym
Sapphire: Lotad, Before 1. Gym

Fire Red: Ekans, Before 2. Gym
Leaf Green: Sandshrew, Before 2. Gym

Diamond: Cranidos, Before 2. Gym
Pearl: Shieldon, Before 2. Gym

Or, For the ones who use the 3. versions, its enought the pokemon only is missing in 1 of the others:

Yellow: Mankey, Before 1. Gym

Crystal: Lediba or Spinarak, Before 1. Gym

Emerald: Seedot or Lotad, Before 1. Gym

Platinum: Shieldon(Last number in ID even) or Cranidos(Last number in ID odd), Before 2. Gym

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
I think that challenge would overly limit what Pokemon you can choose, without actually making it much harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back