• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Did you ever play the original green?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
No, I didn't played the Original Green, not even on Emulators.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
Someone mentioned about Green, when I was 10. I thought it was some sort of hoax, so I didn't think that the game existed. I should play it and see how it looks.

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
Years
Green was one of the first ones I actually played on my own.

To be entirely honest, I only knew what to do because of my Yellow copy, haha!

I still have my physical cartridge, but without the box.
And I continue on my search at pawn-shops & flea markets to find one in the original box!

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I haven't played the Japanese Green and I don't want to, since it's basically a glitchier version of the international Blue.

I do understand the appeal, it just doesn't appeal to me.

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 23, 2021
I played Green not too long ago. It is actually pretty funny to see how terrible the sprites look in my opinion. I think it's a nice change from RBY.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
I've played it on an emulator before, but I've never actually had the game. It's kinda depressing when you look at just how bad some of the sprites were.

~CreamyChoco~

Happy new year to everyone
Years
i only played it once my cousin had an original green and it was nice but i could not get the words and texts in it xD

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I remember playing Green in an Emulator but i didn't really get to far in it because it was in Japanese and i got frustrated not understanding a single word of it.

Schwan

Frontier Brain
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 2, 2016
I imagine that it's a good game, but I have never played it though.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
No, I've never played any of the Japanese Pokemon games. I didn't know anyone from Japan (who had the game, could get me the copy, could translate, etc.) when the Japanese Red and Green came out, didn't know how to order games from Japan, and didn't know Japanese, so there wasn't much incentive. I've seen videos and screenshots of Green since then, and have read a fair amount about it, but I've never played it myself. I did have an RBY guide that included pictures of some of the Green sprites for some reason, though.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Nope. I don't even think I ever saw the game cartridge in real life neither lol. And I don't even understand japanese too :C

IllusDark8

My Japanese friend sent his to where I was along with his Gameboy for a while.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
I ocassionaly look at the ebay and consider purchasing a copy of Green for completionist sakes. But then I would feel obligated to start purchasing all the japanese versions also.

dragonfly_dust

Look at my avatar! Nuff said.
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
I found my copy with the Japanese kids I babysat. They told me I could have it. BEST KIDS EVER~!

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
I've never played Green, nor have I ever seen the cartridge/boxart IRL. It'd be interesting to play, although it is probably the exact same game as the English Red/Blue. The only Japanese Pokemon games I've come to play was Platinum, which was interesting, to say the least, because I don't understand the language. @_@

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 10, 2020
I have a physical copy of Green in Japanese. It's nothing special, it's literally like Blue in English other than some graphic differences. In Japanese Blue is the 'different' game. Blue in Japan was like Crystal, Emerald or Platinum in the later generations. Yellow (Pikachu is its title in Japanese, no Yellow to be found there) Yellow also was color enhanced compared to its Japanese counterpart. In the Japanese version the overworld was Yellow based as was Red being red based, Blue being blue based and Green being well, green based. Basically what happened when the games first came to America was, they took the sprites and translated script from the Japanese Blue. Not sure why they didn't just release Red and Green, then Blue, then Yellow here. As kids we would've been happy with 4 Kanto games over 3. There seems to be mystery surrounding Green; but, it's not anything special. It's more or less what we got with Blue.

Basically what Chaos Rush was saying too.

Fernando Torres

Class on grass
Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
Yes. In fact pokemon green was my first video game ever. Surprisingly my copy is the 2nd copy ever created. When I was a kid I tried playing it, but could understand anything so I went and bought red. Then 10 years later in 2006 I played it for the first time technically.

Back