• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trainer Pokemon Special Promo Release Set by Donavannj! [text-based]

Years
This set features rare-holo Trainer's Pokemon type cards based on some of the Trainer's in my SoulSilver adventure!

Today's release is Falkner's Pidgeot!

Falkner's Pidgeot
Lv. 56
140 HP
CC Aerial Ace 60
CC Roost: Remove up to 5 damage counters from Falkner's Pidgeot.
Weakness: Lightning x2
Resistance: Fighting -30
Retreat Cost: 0

A swift, efficient attacker, Falkner's Pidgeot can easily be attacking the first turn it is in play!

I'm looking for ideas on whether I should make this an evolutionary chain or whether I should make it work like Pokemon SP did. Any suggestions?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Ohhhh I really like this. At first I thought it maaaay be a bit too broken to make into an SP-type of thing, but you know, I think it could work. It's not like it'd be invincible haha. I'm really liking the zero retreat cost too. 8) That could really save you in tight spots, especially if it's SP-ish.

Years
I'd probably have to nerf the HP a little tiny bit to counteract making it into a big basic, but I can see that working, except for that whole 60 on Turn 1 with no caveat or drawback possibly being insanely broken. That could easily be a prize on Turn 1!

Years
Next up is Donny's Ampharos! Actually a star from my own team!

Donny's Ampharos
(Lightning)
Lv. 47
120 HP
CC Magnet Rise: During your opponent's next turn, Donny's Ampharos has no Weakness.
LLC Thunder 110: Discard 2 energy attched to Donny's Ampharos.
Weakness: Fighting x2
Resistance: Metal -10
Retreat Cost: 2

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I've never been a fan of "discard x cards to do this attack" cards, but I think if it's paired with something that can assist it in energies (idk the sets that well so I'm not sure if there's anything like this in the current format though) then I think it could work. Magnet Rise is a good way to bide time to get energies too, especially if you're playing against a Fighting deck. I like this one, but not as much at the Pidgeot.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I really like the idea of a new Trainer's Pokémon set. I'm not as big on the SP concept, though.

I may not be able to give adequate feedback, as I make fakes more for artistic purposes than playability, but what you have so far seems like it works. There's only 1 suggestion that I have: shouldn't Magnet Rise remove Amphy's Weakness during your opponent's next turn, rather than your next turn? It seems pretty useless if it only works for your turn, when you're not likely to be attacked.

Years
I really like the idea of a new Trainer's Pokémon set. I'm not as big on the SP concept, though.

I may not be able to give adequate feedback, as I make fakes more for artistic purposes than playability, but what you have so far seems like it works. There's only 1 suggestion that I have: shouldn't Magnet Rise remove Amphy's Weakness during your opponent's next turn, rather than your next turn? It seems pretty useless if it only works for your turn, when you're not likely to be attacked.

Oh, whoops, that was a typo on my part! My pencil and paper draft of the card indeed does say "your Opponent's next turn". I'll be fixing that right now!

But not before I post the next card.

Donny's Golem
(Fighting)
Lv. 36
100 HP
FF Rock Smash 20: During your next turn, any attack that would deal damage to the Defending Pokemon deals an additional 10 damage (before applying Weakness and Resistance).
FCC Strength 60
FFFC Earthquake 100: This attack does 20 damage to each Benched Pokemon (both yours and your opponent's)(Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon).
Weakness: Grass x2
Resistance: Lightning -20
Retreat Cost: 3

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Totally read that as "Donny's Gloom" at first and wondered why it had those kind of attacks. XD

Seems about what you would expect from a Golem. I'd still like to see images, though (I know text-based is also a form of art, but it makes it difficult for those like me who don't play much of the card game to comment). I think these would look nice with classic Gym blanks or Neo blanks modified to look like Gym blanks. You would need to make (or request) a trainer icon, though.

Maybe you should consider teaming up with someone to make your text fakes into images. A lot of fakers I've met often don't know what kind of attacks to give their cards and make up something random or borrow attacks from official cards. Alternatively, you could create a thread for card spoilers where others can post (or request) text fakes so that image fakers in need of attacks ideas, etc. could use them. Of course, credit would need to be given to the maker of the text fake.

Oh, and "Opponent's" doesn't need to be capitalized.

Last edited:
Years
Totally read that as "Donny's Gloom" at first and wondered why it had those kind of attacks. XD

Seems about what you would expect from a Golem. I'd still like to see images, though (I know text-based is also a form of art, but it makes it difficult for those like me who don't play much of the card game to comment). I think these would look nice with classic Gym blanks or Neo blanks modified to look like Gym blanks. You would need to make (or request) a trainer icon, though.

Maybe you should consider teaming up with someone to make your text fakes into images. A lot of fakers I've met often don't know what kind of attacks to give their cards and make up something random or borrow attacks from official cards. Alternatively, you could create a thread for card spoilers where others can post (or request) text fakes so that image fakers in need of attacks ideas, etc. could use them. Of course, credit would need to be given to the maker of the text fake.

Oh, and "Opponent's" doesn't need to be capitalized.

That would be quite strange to see on a Gloom card! :P best gloom card ever if that were the case

I have considered teaming up with artists in the past, and the way you present it makes it look like a very tempting idea. The only issue would be finding an artist who would be willing to be subject to some of my creative whims in exchange for me being subject to some of their creative whims.

Noted, will change "Opponent's" after posting the next card.

Hiker Anthony's Machamp:
(Fighting)
Lv. 55
140 HP
CC Focus Energy: Cross Chop's Base Damage is 160 instead of 80 during your next turn.
FFCC Cross Chop 80
Weakness: Psychic x2
Resistance: Dark -20
Retreat Cost: 3

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Not a huge fan of "this attack does x instead of x" next turn attacks, but this Machamp has the HP to pull it off I think. That'd be a great ex killer as well. ...Hiker Anthony had a Machop?

Years
Not a huge fan of "this attack does x instead of x" next turn attacks, but this Machamp has the HP to pull it off I think. That'd be a great ex killer as well. ...Hiker Anthony had a Machop?

Apparently so! I created several of these a couple years back based off of trainer and wild Pokemon lists for SoulSilver, and I was in disbelief that Hiker Anthony Actually had a Machop until I checked it out on Bulbapedia myself.

Years
And because I have very little to do right now, have another card!

The ability was originally a PokePower when I first made the card.

Donny's Typhlosion
(Fire)
Lv. 48
130 HP
Ability: Fire Stoke: As often as you like during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a card from your hand. If you do, you may search your discard pile for a Fire Energy card and put it into your hand. This Ability can't be used if Donny's Typhlosion is affected by a Special Condition.
RRRC Fire Blast 110: Discard 2 Energy attached to Donny's Typhlosion.
Weakness: Water x2
Resistance: Grass -10
Retreat Cost: 1

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Hiker Anthony! I love that guy! He told me about Dunsparce, my favorite Pokémon. <3

The attacks seem nice. Focus Energy is a convenient attack for when you're 1 turn away from having enough Energy for Cross Chop. Doesn't seem very helpful after that, though (in two turns, you would be doing the same amount of damage, anyway).

On Typhlosion, I'm pretty sure that "discard a card" should be "discard 1 card" and (I've seen it both ways) "special condition" should be "Special Condition." I don't think "you may" is needed (unless you want the added effect to be optional).

Also, "attacked" should be "attached." It's a very easy typo to make. I've done it on some of my image fakes before.

It kind of reminds me of a Pokémon ex. It's a shame that its only attack required discards, though. Probably not really worth using without proper support.

Last edited:
Years
Hiker Anthony! I love that guy! He told me about Dunsparce, my favorite Pokémon. <3

The attacks seem nice. Focus Energy is a convenient attack for when you're 1 turn away from having enough Energy for Cross Chop. Doesn't seem very helpful after that, though (in two turns, you would be doing the same amount of damage, anyway).

On Typhlosion, I'm pretty sure that "discard a card" should be "discard 1 card" and "special condition" should be "Special Condition." I don't think "you may" is needed (unless you want the added effect to be optional).

Also, "attacked" should be "attached." It's a very easy typo to make. I've done it on some of my image fakes before.

It kind of reminds me of a Pokémon ex. It's a shame that its only attack required discards, though. Probably not really worth using without proper support.

Those are all noted and changed! Except for the "you may" thing, because I've decided to leave that flexibility in as a strategic play. Actually, never mind on the "1/a" thing. I have definitely seen it both ways, but I see it as "a" more frequently.

It's certainly not the best card, and is meant to be paired with a Fire-type energy accelerator.

Years
After a few days of waiting, I think, it's time to put out the next card. Ivan was the name I gave my rival in my SoulSilver file.

Ivan's Crobat
Lv. 52
130 HP
CC Wing Attack 40
PPC Toxic 30: The Defending Pokemon is now Poisoned. Put 2 damage counters instead of 1 on that Pokemon between turns.
Weakness: Lightning x2
Resistance: Fighting -30
Retreat Cost: 0

Doesn't seem to be very powerful to me, personally.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Pretty normal for a Crobat. Nothing about it really stands out to me, other than the Lightning Weakness. Most of them are weak to Psychic. I think it was only weak to Lightning on about 4 cards.

Also, you forgot to specify what its type is. Grass? Psychic? Flying? You could make it a bit more unique by making it a dual Grass/Colorless or Psychic/Colorless-type.

EDIT: Nevermind. Since it uses (P) Energy, I assume it's Psychic-type. Still, you could consider making it a dual-type (you could do this with every Pokémon with two types in the games).

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Youngster Joey's Rattata.
awesome_face_by_edielflaco-d3272jd.gif

Seriously, how can you have a Johto trainers set without it? It's in the top percentage!

Years
I... think I actually had a card for that drafted out on a piece of paper I have lying around this house somewhere.

I'll probably draft one up tomorrow night or Sunday, and post that other one in here when I find it!

Back