• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Soaring's Pixel whatnots

SoaringSomeone

Residential Sprite Slave
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2014
These are awsome, I particularly like the splash screens and Bolton (playing cards are cool :)).
I'm not sure how it fits into your game, but an underwater splash screen in that style would look amazing

Why thank you kindly! :3

As for underwater scenes, well, let's just say that because our game is set in the western coastland of the US/Canada, there's a fairly good chance there will be lots of water everywhere. ;D

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
Animated? Do you mean make all my splash screens a progress gif? If that's what you mean, then I could 'cause chances are pretty good that I'll have an odd 30 save files for each splash screen again. It just becomes an easy copy paste into a gif animator after completing the product. But I guess if there's any more interest in the progress gifs, I'll make one for my next splash screen too.

yes that is what I meant and that would be awesome, looking forward to it

:t354:TG

SoaringSomeone

Residential Sprite Slave
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2014
Teeny tiny update today:

QWzY8.png

Socialite trainer sprite! These classy old ladies are very pleased to meet you deary, and would indeed fancy a small tiff if you wouldn't mind. They are absolutely loaded, and might just be tickled pink if you were to defeat then and their beautifully refined pokeys! With hats sporting feathers from a shiny pidgeot, these socialites are based on the real life organization, the Red Hat Society.

'Fraid sprite updates are a little slow currently. There's been a shedload of work done in the backend part of the game, in the next set of splash screens (Which I am also pretty excited about as I've never attempted anything quite like this particular set), as well as non-sprite work. Needless to say, hopefully once the art is revealed, it'll be as impressive as I may or may not be deluded into thinking! Until next time, Soaring out!

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Why are the trainer & VS Sprites so much larger then normal? o.O

SoaringSomeone

Residential Sprite Slave
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2014
Why are the trainer & VS Sprites so much larger then normal? o.O

The trainer sprites, versus sprites, splash screens, and overworlds are larger than the normal sizes that are used in hacks and the usual RPGMaker dimensions because we are constructing this game from the ground up.

Pokemon: Azure is essentially a game that's going to showcase the engine (built in C#) that the tenFold team is constructing. The engine will function like the Pokemon game engines, but with additions like a gorgeous new user UI that's designed to be as streamlined and intuitive as possible.

Because this is going to be for computers rather than say, a DS, we wanted to take advantage of the increased processing power, memory storage and resolution. Our screen size is 640x480 in order to showcase this. Of course, that also means that we need to scale up our versus, OW's, and trainer sprites to the appropriate proportions, which is the essential reason why everything is so large.

But personally, I see this as a chance to create something a lot more detailed and immersible game world for everyone to enjoy; not only for Pokemon Azure, but also for anyone who uses our engine to make their own games.

SoaringSomeone

Residential Sprite Slave
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2014
Oh man oh jeez has it really been like 2 months? I think it's time for an update to this thread. This time with the duo of disaster, the terrible twin terrors...yup. The twins.

tEokm.png

There's not much to say about this particular sprite, so I'll leave it at that. As for Azure and the (art) work done with that, there's been a flurry of activity in the past few months. I've actually finished another versus sprite, and another set of splash screens. The problem is that the work done on those are slightly spoilerific, so I don't want to post it publicly.

As I feel a bit bad not having anything more substantial, have a sketch for the juggler class, and a scrapped splash screen for a cave.

Spoiler:

SoaringSomeone

Residential Sprite Slave
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2014
Welp, the juggler finished a lot fast than I expected, so I figured I'd make this progression gif, similar to the Carmine forest progression shots that I had before. Now you too can see what a mess I make when I pixel! Primary Colours Man powers, Activate!

Progression shots:

2w50mqg.jpg

Finished product:
Wr2j9.png

There's a frame in there where there's a bunch of random hands next to the juggler. That's simply because I was having trouble getting his left hand to look the way I wanted, and ended up making a couple of extra hands. I stuck them in for the extra "what the heck was this girl thinking" factor.

Yup.

(On a side note, I'm fairly pleased with how Mr. Juggler turned out. Now to code in a bunch of exploding voltorbs. Hehehehe.)

Years
omg, it's been quite a while since I've come here. Do you remember me?? :D

Awesome work! I hadn't seen the splash screen finished yet, I sinply LOVE it. There is nothing wrong to it. I wish I had your skills.

The socialite is amazing, I love the detail put into it. I really like the twins too, specially their hair. The juggler is great, but something about him bothers me. I'm trying to figure out what is it that feels strange...

Lately I've been wanting to get back into spriting. For now I can't, but if you can wait until mid-January, I might help you as a spriter for your game :D That is, if you want, of course.

Do you have msn? If you do, add me: [email protected] (I check msn more often than I check forums, but don't e-mail me, I never check my inbox.)

SoaringSomeone

Residential Sprite Slave
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2014
omg, it's been quite a while since I've come here. Do you remember me?? :D

Awesome work! I hadn't seen the splash screen finished yet, I sinply LOVE it. There is nothing wrong to it. I wish I had your skills.

The socialite is amazing, I love the detail put into it. I really like the twins too, specially their hair. The juggler is great, but something about him bothers me. I'm trying to figure out what is it that feels strange...

Lately I've been wanting to get back into spriting. For now I can't, but if you can wait until mid-January, I might help you as a spriter for your game :D That is, if you want, of course.

Do you have msn? If you do, add me: [email protected] (I check msn more often than I check forums, but don't e-mail me, I never check my inbox.)

Yo, dude! Haven't seen you in a while!

The splash screen's being reimagined since further research indicates that stalagmites/stalactites don't mesh very well. Also, not entirely sure about the majority of the composition of the particular cave that the screen is based on. It's definitely got some marble in it, but I need to do some more research about the insides in order to make a splash that I'd be comfortable putting into the game.

And thanks about the socialite and twins. :3

The juggler is actually a slightly different style than the other sprites I've created, so it may look a little weird. However, the style is also a lot brighter and I believe it'll stand out more against our backgrounds. We'll need to see though.

And like dude, I've been scrambling for more spriters for Azure. Of course we can wait until mid-January. I actually don't use msn, and the majority of the group (all of us) use Skype/SVN for our communications/development/everything. If you have a Skype, or if you can create one, that would be amazing. My username on Skype is SoaringSomeone.

SoaringSomeone

Residential Sprite Slave
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2014
Oh, unfortunately, I don't have a mic, so no skype for me =/ What is SVN, though?

You don't need a mic for skyping. In fact one of our members is mic-less, and was, until recently, speaker-less as well. The majority of our development work is via the chat box so that we can have a written record of everything we decide.

SVN is a general term, not the name of a brand or anything. It's essentially a file repository thing that allows for version control and is mostly used in programming/code stuff. Version control allows people to revert to a previous committed version in case one person changes something and it borks everyone else's code (Or I guess goes on a code deleting rampage spree). We're using it for basically everything though (like the art). It's the easiest way to share code, and allow the programmers access to the arts to use for testing purposes. (More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Subversion)

So if you could, it would be great if you got skype to communicate with the rest of our team. Thinking back, I think I might have an MSN account, so Imma dig that up just in case.

And so that this post doesn't become completely a info dump, here's two OW's.

JOHSa.gif
VNfVC.gif

Officer||Aide (M)

Years
oh, great, I didn't know I don't need a mic for skype lol, I'll create one then. Thanks!

Really nice OWs. Maybe you could make a version of the policemen holding a flashlight to use when it's night? that would be funny.

SoaringSomeone

Residential Sprite Slave
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2014
Goodness gracious time for another sprite!

Birdkeeper femme style! Not much to say, it's the female counterpart of the birdkeeper, which I will soon revamp to the current (not as bad looking) style that I think I'm getting the hang of.

FYmWX.png

Not much else to say about this. Most of my time currently has been spent on trying to get good at texturing models and a small side Nuzlocke thing for fun. Hopefully everything'll pull together soon though!

SoaringSomeone

Residential Sprite Slave
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2014
Little less than two months. Ehhhh, time for an update!

So I did a buttload of work on this one set of splash screens that I am very very proud of, but, unfortunately, since they're rather spoilerific, I don't want to show the entire thing.

So instead, I put together a few snippets that are not spoilers galore, but do showcase a few of my favorite parts of the scene.

BUBgI.png

And here's a paltry walking sprite as well. It's a heavy lady in an ugly sweater.
hHz2m.gif

SoaringSomeone

Residential Sprite Slave
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2014
Whew! With a bunch of stuff that I didn't really want to do out of the way, I can get back to spritin' the good stuff. So here're two WIP's of one of our mountains. The first one was what I started at, the second is what I had at the end of ~2 hours.

2pLK9.png

9GsHW.png

I also recorded about the last 1.5 hours of the spriting session. Mostly it's just me derping in MSPaint, trying to figure out how to make rocks look good, but some people may find it interesting in case they want to create some environmental scenes along this line. It wiiiillll be uploaded soon-ish if I can remember.

Maybe next update will be the entire thing. Rocks are a lot more fun than the other stuff I've been attempting. :)

SoaringSomeone

Residential Sprite Slave
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2014
Oh right this still exists. OTL

Artist Sprite!
MUCql.png

MnhW3.gif

As per usual, anyone interested in helping out, shoot me a PM or reply or something. I am totally willing to teach anyone willing to learn and all that jazz. We also have two more recordings of spritin' over on our livestream in case anyone wanted to watch some MSPaint action in (past) real time!

SoaringSomeone

Residential Sprite Slave
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2014
Well it's been like 6 months, so I suppose an update would be nice.

4aZtk.png

This is another splash screen, this time of Mount Sterling. I really tried to go for a Bob Ross-esque type of thing with the background mountains.

nUKjZ.gif

And as promised, here's the progression gif for Mount Sterling.

And on a side note!

New thread for Pokemon Azure!

The link above's our new Pokemon Azure thread! It our custom made engine/game, which will be open source, and will contain a bunch of features (like full 3D support and online support) and its very own toolbox, streamlined for people used to rom hacking, or RPGMaker development! The new thread's got a lot of extra, new information, and some actual gameplay vids (with even more info in the Youtube info box)! Please go check it out, and give us feedback!

EDIT: You can watch parts of these screens (and some other stuff) being drawn on our livestream channel (channel name: tenfoldstudios).

Last edited:

blackmoonflower

You won't like me if I'm angry
Years
Stunning, as usual. I honestly don't know how you do it. I think my eyes would've been bleeding at this point. Do you use MS Paint or something else?

Years
A very ambitious piece, and it's having great progress. I would recommend some anti-alias here and there, mainly where things cut off such as the log in the background.

Anti-alias would help add depth and make the log more on the background than the foreground.

SoaringSomeone

Residential Sprite Slave
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2014
Stunning, as usual. I honestly don't know how you do it. I think my eyes would've been bleeding at this point. Do you use MS Paint or something else?

Haha, thanks! It takes a lot of effort (and boredom) to finish one of these things since it ranges from...20-60? Hours I think. I do believe that I'm getting faster though since I'm slooooowly learning what looks bad, and what looks slightly less bad.

Also, yes, I do use MSPaint. (Vista/XP version).

A very ambitious piece, and it's having great progress. I would recommend some anti-alias here and there, mainly where things cut off such as the log in the background.

Anti-alias would help add depth and make the log more on the background than the foreground.

Are you referring to the ugly dead-tree thing? I was actually thinking of removing that as it looks kind of comically out of place. Originally I only placed that tree there so that a Skarmory could perch there for the morning version, but right now it's kind of blocking the mountain and also doesn't look very to scale with the rocks around it.

Thanks for the comments guys! They mean a lot. :)

Back