• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Colosseum or XD: Gale of Darkness?

Which game was better?

• Total voters

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
I've played a little bit of Colloseum, so I can't fully judge. However, from what I have played, XD >>>>>>>>>

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
I have played both games and I like XD Gale of Darkness more than Colosseum.. Mainly because there are less annoying parts in the game imo (no one is following you around, and the starter Pokemon of G/S/C took waaaayyy too long to get etc.).

Somehow I liked the "snag-able Pokemon" in XD better than those in Colosseum. One downside however was that the MasterBall glitch in XD was solved, and in Colosseum still works though :P

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Rui following Wes was the cutest thing in Colosseum :D

Haha yeah, that's true. I kind of like XD better, though. The wild spots, though annoying, was at least an improvement. I mean, stealing Pokémon from trainers is cool and somewhat justified because they're shadow Pokémon, but I don't want to say that I became a great trainer by stealing others' Pokémon. Aaand Cipher and Lugia were pretty cool, too.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Haha yeah, that's true. I kind of like XD better, though. The wild spots, though annoying, was at least an improvement. I mean, stealing Pokémon from trainers is cool and somewhat justified because they're shadow Pokémon, but I don't want to say that I became a great trainer by stealing others' Pokémon. Aaand Cipher and Lugia were pretty cool, too.
Yes, a lack of wild Pokemon was annoying, although it did make sense for the plot and region. Bribing Pokemon with cake and then listening to wild western themed music when battling them was... a bit different to the game freak games though, haha.

DuckSwimmer

Video Editor~
Years
As much as I can remember, I liked Colosseum better than XD. Basically just cause of the Storyline ..and also Umbreon being one of the starters.. *-* <3

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I've played both of the games and i prefer Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness because there was more to do and there wasn't someone following you and I felt that to be really annoying.

:t354:TG

Shadow101thehedgehog

It all starts with this...
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 17, 2014
I personally feel that XD is the better game, but the experience is slightly soured if you've already played Colosseum because they share quite a few areas.

Ig Pokemon Lover

The Mighty Scizor
Years
I liked both but Xd was better because i was glad of having someone not following and getting in the way. Also like how we could get the 3 legendary birds this time and Lugia.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
I accidentally voted for Colosseum when I meant XD. I played both, and I only became extensively interested in XD Gale of Darkness. Colosseum just kind of bored me, I only played it until shortly after I got Suicune.

Pike Queen

La Exorcista
Years
I pick Colosseum. For some reason, I just really fell in love with the characters, and I love how dark and mature it is for a Pokemon game. Much more so than XD, in my opinion. I got rid of it when I was much younger because I didn't know what to do to move on, but I'm glad I decided to buy and play it again one day, as it is one of my favorite Pokemon games now.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
Colo gets my vote and yes, I have played both and love both. Wes is BY FAR the best protag out of these two, and IMO the best protag in all of Pokemon hands down. In XD you're just a kid, while in Colo you have this mature, slender figure. And let's not forget- TWO starters! Having both Umbreon and Espeon (one of my favorites by the way) is useful because this game is one of the hardest vanilla games.

The plot is fantastic, you're not mindlessly obtaining badges anymore just because you want to be the champ. Instead, you're thwarting evil bosses and saving the world. I'm sure everyone has tried at least once to snag an opponent's Pokemon before and now that you can is very interesting.

Colo also has a better selection of Shadows. I mean the list goes on for cool Shadows: Houndour, Teddiursa, Bayleef, Croconaw, Quilava, Entei, Raikou, Suicune, Metagross, Tyranitar and a bonus Ho-Oh at the end.

XD has a similar story, but it just doesn't beat Colosseum in my opinion.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Colo also has a better selection of Shadows. I mean the list goes on for cool Shadows: Houndour, Teddiursa, Bayleef, Croconaw, Quilava, Entei, Raikou, Suicune, Metagross, Tyranitar and a bonus Ho-Oh at the end.
Granted, your choice of Johto starters is pretty good, but I'm not sure that it quite outweighs the near double amount of Pokemon available in XD. (Also Teddiursa and Houndour were in XD early on, not in Colosseum). But I'll agree with you on the other points, haha. Yay for a different, more interesting (and cooler) protagonist!

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Colosseum has the much better atmosphere and settings plus better pacing but damn if I don't love the variety XD has. :(

Going with XD based on the replay value and content. Both are very great tho, and a good breath of fresh air from the usual formula.

[Lucian]

KANTO Champion
Years
I pick Colosseum. For some reason, I just really fell in love with the characters, and I love how dark and mature it is for a Pokemon game. Much more so than XD, in my opinion. I got rid of it when I was much younger because I didn't know what to do to move on, but I'm glad I decided to buy and play it again one day, as it is one of my favorite Pokemon games now.

This. The first couple days I played it, it didn't even feel like I was playing Pokemon until I had a battle. Same with XD, but I still prefer Colosseum over it.

Thief

The Dark One
Years
Honestly I loved both... :\ But I'll go with Colosseum even if just for the cooler protag and the fact I remember more of it.

And Umbreon.
'Cause Umbreon.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 13, 2014
I prefer XD over Colosseum. As others have already mentioned, I really enjoyed all the variety XD has compared to Colosseum (the Shadow Pokemon, areas, etc.) and overall I feel that the game is more fun than Colosseum. Also, as strange as it may sound, as a kid I enjoyed Michael as the protagonist more than Wes, and never really understood all the flak that Michael got from fans. I guess it was because I was able to relate to Michael a lot more than Wes. I thought a kid being able to take down all of Cipher was awesome! Of course, now I agree that Wes is epic. :P

Plus, XD's version of Miror B...how could you not like the game?! Unless you prefer Colosseum's Miror B hahah. :P

Back