• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stuck cycling in TallGrass

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
This should maybe also go in the Bug/Reporting topic but I'd like to get a fix worked out somewhat quickly if possible--

Tested in a clean version 12 Essentials, the player can ride their bike into Tall Grass (as in, the kind from 3rd gen that you're not supposed to be able to bike through), but then becomes stuck and cannot leave the grass (without dismounting).

Db5J1sY.png

Basically, the way the script works out with the terrain tag, it seems that the grass is passable with a bike, until you're actually in it. If that makes sense?

G4O9pH1.png

One spot in, can't escape.

I believe this is the relevant script section, from Game_Map on 190
elsif @terrain_tags[tile_id]==PBTerrain::TallGrass &&
$PokemonGlobal.bicycle && self_event==$game_player
return false

Does anyone have a solution?

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
That's easy:
Code:
      elsif Kernel.pbFacingTerrainTag==PBTerrain::TallGrass &&
        return false

EDIT:
Just replace the lines you found with these ones lol.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
As long as you'r eable to get out by dismounting the bike and walking, actually getting stuck in long grass would make more sense than just bumping into some invisible wall.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
If you play with the code you will be able to do other things than just crash into the grass... For example if you're at top speed, make the player "fall" off and white out lmao.
Personally I prefer riding in the grass at slower speed than just getting stuck, but each to their own.

You could drop a message saying, "the grass is long, get off bike?"... "don't be silly, I can't ride through grass that's longer than my hair."... "did you know this is a bicycle not a lawn-mower?!".

Just because the line I added made you stop immediately, doesn't mean you have to have that as "what it does".

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
Wait so you do not want the player to be stuck in tall grass, and they are not able to mount a bike in it? Just do a check if the player is in tall grass, in the mount bike method.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
That's easy:
Code:
      elsif Kernel.pbFacingTerrainTag==PBTerrain::TallGrass &&
        return false

EDIT:
Just replace the lines you found with these ones lol.

Thank you!

Don't you think it's fun to be able to cycle into tall grass and get stuck?

Do you mean you did this on purpose? Well, it's creative but it isn't how it is in the original games, and I had been hoping to replicate that code for something else. It does make sense for a bike, but not for what I'm doing with this

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Actually it was an oversight when I added the code which prevents cycling in tall grass, but it seemed fun and I didn't bother fixing it once I noticed it.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
lolololol ame is a blonde post edited out because shes dumb feel free to delete this.

Last edited:
Back