• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Land of the Maple Leaf ~ Canadian Club

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I used pennies often. I pay in cash when I can and like to give exact change so I can get rid of my excess change and not have to break a bill if I don't need to.

But, it makes sense to get rid of it. So, bye bye penny.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
My girlfriend used her pennies a lot lmao. When she could give the exact change, she would use her pennies :P

Also when I heard that pennies were not going to be used anymore, I gave all my pennies to the bank. I got myself 9$, yay^^

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I'll keep a few pennies for keepsakes but otherwise, good riddance. They weigh down the wallet so much. :( Wouldn't mind seeing nickels go either but I'm probably in a bit of a minority with that opinion.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I'll keep a few pennies for keepsakes but otherwise, good riddance. They weigh down the wallet so much. :( Wouldn't mind seeing nickels go either but I'm probably in a bit of a minority with that opinion.
Everything should just end cleanly so we can use full dollar amounts

I'm keeping my eyes open for a 2012 penny. I gave one that I had to my grandfather (he collects coins), but I want one too XD

Years
Everything should just end cleanly so we can use full dollar amounts

I'm keeping my eyes open for a 2012 penny. I gave one that I had to my grandfather (he collects coins), but I want one too XD
I don't know if I could get behind everything rounded to full dollar amounts, but I'd be more than okay with getting rid of the nickel, too. If we did that, prices would look so much nicer, with everything ending in a 0. And I didn't think that 2012 pennies were all that rare (in fact, I'm looking at 5 of them on my desk right now).

I went through my small jar of coins earlier, and I got sidetracked counting how many pennies I had when I found a few old ones. I found at least 8 pre-centennial pennies, a couple of which had King George VI on the back (the oldest I could find was 1947). I know my dad has some coins that are even older, with the oldest going back to somewhere around 1922, but I can't recall if they were pennies or not.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Montreal got so much snow this year, I'm getting tired of it >.>

Plus there's no more Christmas spirit to go with the snow :(
So for me.. shoo snow, go away!

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I got a snow day! I haven't had one since high school which was forever ago. \o/ It came on a great day, too, since I had an assignment due and didn't want to leave the house early to hand it in. Now i don't have to leave the house at all! (Although I couldn't fall back asleep so no sleeping in baaw.)

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
That was some snowstorm that came by. Man, people around the neighbourhood were sliding all around the place because they didn't have snow tires. :P We didn't have a whole lot of snow before the storm, so I guess I can't entirely blame them.

But yeah, with the penny stopping, I'm thinking of just keeping all the pennies I can find. Maybe they'll be worth something it the future, though I kinda doubt that myself.
And I guess "a lucky penny" won't exist any more, because they are practically useless. >.>

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Where do you live pokemanmdj? You guys don't have a law where you're obligated to put winter tires at some point before winter?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Where do you live pokemanmdj? You guys don't have a law where you're obligated to put winter tires at some point before winter?
That's a Québec law. I'm not aware of it being anywhere else. It really should be implemented elsewhere though. We live in Canada, we get snow. And if it doesn't snow it gets cold. You need winter tires. Its about how the compound reacts to cold temperatures. "All" seasons or using chains just doesn't cut it.

They stopped production of the penny in 2012, I don't think they have any 2013 ones =/
Yup, no 2013 penny.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Wow, I thought they had that law everywhere in Canada =S

But they really should put up that law everywhere don't you think? I mean.. we live in Canada, this ain't really the warmest place you could find in winter. And the amount of snow we get? Don't get me started on that lol.

Years
I could see it making sense if each individual province decided to make winter tires mandatory, based on how much snow you get overall. However, Greater Vancouver and Vancouver Island saw maybe 5-10 cm of snow total this year, and that really isn't too far out of the normal, so it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to have mandatory snow tires here (the interior and Northern BC is a whole different story, though). Granted, it's always a good idea to be prepared and have them, but I'm sure many wouldn't want to spend a few hundred bucks on tires that would get very limited use.

Also, I know the response to hockey in this thread was lukewarm at best, but I hope everyone enjoyed our unofficial holiday of Hockey Day in Canada.

Last edited:
Back