• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why is Gorebyss never used in OU?

Years
  • Seen Feb 9, 2012
I think she's among the top underrated pokemon. Shell Smash allows her to outspeed most pokemon outside of weather (as long as they don't have Shell Smash boost, and they're not using Choice Scarf) and with Hydro Pump, she can OHKO probably most pokemon that don't resist it. The only problem is Hydro Pump's accuracy, and Surf probably isn't a viable replacement, because it just doesn't do enough to OHKO the bigger threats.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well you can't say never since... It is used, it is currently 67 on the usage chart which is pretty good for a non-OU Pokemon. Tbh though I think of it only really having a place in baton pass teams and nothing else really (since that's it's main purpose) so the fact that it isn't used more is probably attributed to the fact that shell smash isn't the most popular play style :x

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Because Gorebyss may have a gift in Smash Pass, but there are Pokemon that can simply outspeed her and OHKO her. She's simply too weak to be in OU. Although, like Forever pointed out, she's 67 on the usage charts so people do like her. And a lot of people dislike Smash Pass because it's so broken. ): gorebyss is a girl ok

Years
  • Seen Feb 9, 2012
Most of the times I had her Shell Smash, she outsped most of the mons that were a threat to her and OHKO'd them to boot. She even OHKO'd a Magnezone believe it or not (or maybe it was a Magneton, I forgot). I know that some mons like Latios, Latias, Conkeldurr, Ferrothorn, and I'm sure some others can counter her, but IMO she actually doesn't have that many counters for a NU mon.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
most common scarfers outspeed and OHKO, priority sucks, easy to wall/kill, hazards are everywhere, voltturn (and rotom-w niftily outspeeds with a scarf), it's hard as hell to set up without dying, cloyster is a better smasher in general, etc, etc, etc

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
One set doesn't generally make a Pokemon. You see Shell Smash / Baton Pass / Scald / HP Fire, typically, to handle the BP aspect as well as STAB and having a way to kill Ferrothorn after the switch in surprise with Shell Smash. This is the only set Gorebyss can fully utilize in the OU metagame; there's no argument that can withstand, normally. With this, things like Adamant Max Attack Breloom kill it with STAB Priority, since Gorebyss has to carry Focus Sash, meaning it loses White Herb which could restore its already frail defenses.

It's an all right Pokemon, but one set doesn't make it.

Years
  • Seen Feb 9, 2012
most common scarfers outspeed and OHKO, priority sucks, easy to wall/kill, hazards are everywhere, voltturn (and rotom-w niftily outspeeds with a scarf), it's hard as hell to set up without dying, cloyster is a better smasher in general, etc, etc, etc
Cloyster's ice typing screws him over though. Being pure water, Gorebyss doesn't have to worry so much about priority attacks, and she has HP Grass to take out other waters.

She plays an entirely different role anyway. While Cloyster is best as a physical sweeper, Gorebyss is best as a special sweeper. Cloyster COULD be a special sweeper, but Gorebyss has better sp atk for it. Her only handicap is that she lacks a priority move, but she becomes fast enough where it's usually not a big deal.

One set doesn't generally make a Pokemon. You see Shell Smash / Baton Pass / Scald / HP Fire, typically, to handle the BP aspect as well as STAB and having a way to kill Ferrothorn after the switch in surprise with Shell Smash. This is the only set Gorebyss can fully utilize in the OU metagame; there's no argument that can withstand, normally. With this, things like Adamant Max Attack Breloom kill it with STAB Priority, since Gorebyss has to carry Focus Sash, meaning it loses White Herb which could restore its already frail defenses.

It's an all right Pokemon, but one set doesn't make it.
I don't see that many Brelooms anymore, and even if I am faced with a Breloom, I just bring out Shuckle to counter. I switch in, set up rocks, and as soon as Breloom attacks he's Red Carded out. And I don't think Gorebyss needs a Focus Sash, because she can usually survive an attack or two unless it's an attack from an offensive monster like Conkeldurr or Guts Raticate/Swellow.

I run Shell Smash, Surf, Ice Beam, HP Grass on Gorebyss. It gives her decent enough coverage, while Ice Beam takes out dragons (as well as flying types and most grass types) and HP Grass takes out bulky waters. As for Ferrothorn, he isn't a problem, because I can lead with a fire type, like Houndoom, which has not only good sp atk and decent speed, but access to strong fire type moves and taunt, and he can resist Power Whip like a boss to boot.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
For Gorebyss I prefer to run Shell Smash, Scald, Ice Beam, and Baton Pass with Focus Sash as its held item so I can ensure getting at least one SS up and Passing it to one of its teammates such as Rotom W or Politoed for example but then again I can't imagine it being that great of a sweeper in all honesty but it can make a pretty decent team player though due to being able to boost so easily then BP it as I said before but that's just my opinion lol.

Kyrk

(╯°□°)╯︵ɔıb oן
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2012
Some people don't use Gorebyss/Huntail because I guess they feel like they don't want to be considered "cheap" like what smash-passing is considered - even competitive battlers have morals. Even then, while smash-passing is "cheap", it's still manageable in multiple ways, such as phazing, priority, tricking, cursing, etc.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Cloyster's ice typing screws him over though. Being pure water, Gorebyss doesn't have to worry so much about priority attacks, and she has HP Grass to take out other waters.

She plays an entirely different role anyway. While Cloyster is best as a physical sweeper, Gorebyss is best as a special sweeper. Cloyster COULD be a special sweeper, but Gorebyss has better sp atk for it. Her only handicap is that she lacks a priority move, but she becomes fast enough where it's usually not a big deal.

I don't see that many Brelooms anymore, and even if I am faced with a Breloom, I just bring out Shuckle to counter. I switch in, set up rocks, and as soon as Breloom attacks he's Red Carded out. And I don't think Gorebyss needs a Focus Sash, because she can usually survive an attack or two unless it's an attack from an offensive monster like Conkeldurr or Guts Raticate/Swellow.

I run Shell Smash, Surf, Ice Beam, HP Grass on Gorebyss. It gives her decent enough coverage, while Ice Beam takes out dragons (as well as flying types and most grass types) and HP Grass takes out bulky waters. As for Ferrothorn, he isn't a problem, because I can lead with a fire type, like Houndoom, which has not only good sp atk and decent speed, but access to strong fire type moves and taunt, and he can resist Power Whip like a boss to boot.

K firstly i really hope you were joking about the Breloom being countered by Shuckle comment. You Red Card it out after being Spored and set up on and get swept later in the match because all that does is prolong your fate after Red Card has been used if you are use Shuckle to counter Breloom, its a really bad way to deal with it. Raticate and Swellow are irrelevant as they are NU/RU and are really not offensive monster at all tbh.

Next, Gorebyss as a sweeper is outclassed by Cloyster. Cloysters can use both its attacking stats allowing it a much easier time to sweep whilst Gorebyss has moveslot syndrome. Use HP Fire for Ferro ? Good luck with Gastrodon and other waters like Rotom-W and Jellicent, use HP Grass ? Nice Ferrothorn etc weakness. Cloyster can OHKO every single one of those with either Rock Blast or Icicle Spear. It can even nail physical walls with Hydro Pump whilst Gorebyss struggles with special walls greatly.

Cloyster also has a massive speed advantage, where Gorebyss would fail to such scarfers like Terrakion, Landorus and the like Cloyster simply outspeeds all of them and OHKO's.

Shell Smash sweeper Gorebyss is simply too easy to stop because of the reasons explained above hence why no one uses it and Cloyster is the only SSer in Ou. The main reason you should use it is SmashPassing with Dual Screen support but since Dooxys-S was banned its harder to pull off since D-S was THE ultimate utility mon. Espeon is a good dual screener but lacks SR and the speed and the same with D-D, minus the SR part.

Lastly just for the record Focus Sash mid/late game is still a horrible item choice. White Herb or even LO is far superior. Seems people forget that Stealth Rock/Spikes/SS infest the metagame making sash a wasted slot.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
I love Gorebyss' design however I've never used her on my team before, it's something I need to do but she can land some great hits.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022

Yeah, but Cloyster also has a brilliant 180 base Defense that generally makes those priority attacks not even matter. And D_A brought up an excellent point about HP Grass; either you run that and lose to Ferrothorn or you run HP Fire and lose to bulky waters, both of whom Cloyster can beat handily. Yes, obviously Cloyster attacks from the physical spectrum and Gorebyss from the special but that actually plays against your argument here... Gorebyss, for example, has no way in hell it will ever break through prominent special walls such as Blissey, whereas Cloyster shreds through most common physical walls such as Skarmory and Gliscor. Cloyster is inherently faster and as such it actually outspeeds most common scarf users like Terrakion so it doesn't even need that priority, whereas Gorebyss loses to all of them and has no priority to make up for it. You're overestimating what Shell Smash does to your speed, here. Gorebyss isn't used as much as you expect it to be because it's outclassed in every role but SmashPass, plain and simple.

Years
  • Seen Feb 9, 2012
I didn't look carefully at Cloyster's defenses, now that I see how high they are, I get why Cloyster is usually taken over Gorebyss. It's a shame that Gorebyss can't do more, because she's one of my favorite pokemon =/

Years
I didn't look carefully at Cloyster's defenses, now that I see how high they are, I get why Cloyster is usually taken over Gorebyss. It's a shame that Gorebyss can't do more, because she's one of my favorite pokemon =/

Fear not, my son!

Gorebyss is definitely still capable of putting together a sweep in OU when given proper team support [for example, using Pursuit to trap Blissey or having a Rotom-W using HP Fire out of nowhere to surprise and kill Ferrothorn]. Not only that, but Gorebyss is also infinitely useful as a Baton Passer of Shell Smash, so while Gorebyss may not be able to put together a full sweep at +2/+2/+2, a Salamence certainly could. Gorebyss is also a major threat in the lower tiers, especially NU, so you could use it there, where it has a much better chance of sweeping a team, due to the lack of Pokemon that can wall it.

Back