• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

it was ONLY a semicolon?!

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
I make 'em all the time. But usually they are not syntax errors, but rather errors in logic.

To mitigate this as much as I can I end up writing small amounts of stupid-dynamic code that I spend a lot of time on to make as solid as I can so that I can reuse it for mostly everything in some given task. That cuts down in the places that I need to look when I am debugging my code.

dcjboi

With Quiet Courage
Years
  • Seen Sep 27, 2022
Often very minor. One mistake can sometimes be little to nothing and at other times it can be a homewrecker. I'm not getting into much aside from HTML but I've begun to look at C++ and it only gets harder from here on out.

Based on how often I make mistakes it's a shame although I usually do it through Trial and Error.

Years
I know it isn't really a "programming" language, but whenever I am writing and or modifying a PHP file, I always hate it when I refresh and then see a "Server Error" only because I forgot that darn semicolon at the end of a string >_>

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I can share the semi-colon sentiments. I was scripting for an online pServer of Ragnarok Online and I would skip semi-colons so often, even though I would double- and triple-check everything before running a test launch. Ugh. Programming errors are so frustrating because the tiniiiessttt of things can sent everything running into a destructive, unwarranted tangent.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
Years
It's not exactly programming, but it's definitally in the same league as the semi colon, and then I'm talking about "," and "." as devider in decimal numbers. Depending on the language settings of the computer (and Excel's) this changes.
And it sucks than when I'm working with big data files, recalculating everything, get an entirely wrong result... and it's always the "." or ",". I hate it. >B
(Thank god for "Find and Replace").

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
The times I code (which isn't quite that often in the moment) I get always stuck in logical errors, since most syntax errors are shown immediately after I made them (modern IDEs make things really easy), but logical ones are sometimes really hard to find.

I think, most of the time I spend debuging my code (even though I tend to document nearly everything I do) xD

Back