• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X and Y?

diamondmutt1111

A wild summer appeared!
Years
X, Y, and Z are all axes (or something like that, you know...Y-axis) and they represent the dimensions (length, width, and depth). Could be that they represent that Pokémon FINALLY went 3D and added some depth ;)

btw thanks engineering class!

EDIT: or could be about DNA...either or, lol

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
X AND Y REFER TO CRHOMOSOMES

There is also a DNA strand in the japanese logos:
pokemon-x-y-japanese.jpg

And it seems the theme is about life/death.

Since we have:
-a forest deer god standing in front of a huge tree, resembeling one himself with several lights
-a shady vulture like threatening monster

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I think they're based on DNA and represents the chromosome Y and chromosome X. And that the region's evil team will be trying to do something with Pokemon DNA.

Autaven

Gamer Girl
Years
My thoughts did immediately go to Chromosomes too, and you can totally see that in the logo! I hope that means they've maybe enhanced the breeding in some way, spend most of my time breeding and attempting to fill the 'dex.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I'm really amazed by how they're now using letters instead of minerals or colours. X, Y and Z represent width, height and depth in 3D models so I think it was a wonderful idea to use them instead of minerals or colours.

This is an excellent change, and I see that they've now dropped the word "version" in the Pokémon titles now, so having to be simply called "Pokémon X" and "Pokémon Y", instead of being something like "Pokémon Black Version 2" or "Pokémon White Version 2".

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
Years
Well, I'm glad they didn't start naming the games after organs like a friend of mine predicted they would.

But its obviously genetics, since "x, y, and z" would require a third version, something I'm not sure they'll do after what they did in Gen 5.

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
I was going to say that X and Y represent unknown variables/potential, which would point to you as a Trainer and the jump to new systemss, but yeah, the DNA thing makes a lot more sense >_>;;

Lol yes. I'm not the only one who thought this at first.

But on to the DNA topic... if it is true, I would think that the goal of the evil team is to alter the DNA of the legendary, and maybe they succeed. Then, they might want to alter the DNA of all other pokemon, but you step in to stop them. But yeah, this storyline is a bit too farfetch'd, it's just whats coming to mind right now.

Oh, and also, I forgot to mention that its cool that they named these games something different than the normal, makes me think they'll add a lot more things that are different from past generations.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
I think that the X and Y either represent axes on a graph or male and female chromosomes. Coldplay's album a few years back was also named X & Y but I don't think that this will have anything to do it the game haha.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2013
What the...

X and y? REALLY POKEMON?! DID YOU SERIOUSLY RUN OUT OF NAMES?! I CAN NAME SO MANY GOOD ONES! QUAKE AND TORNADO! LIGHT AND SHADOW! SERIOUSLY POKEMON! THOSE ARE TERRIBLE NAMES!

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
Years
Someone's been living in a rock...

On a more serious note, X and Y have to do with either the Game's Storyline(chromosomes, genetics etc.) Or Represent The Co-ordinate Axis. They actually Mean something this time around.The only thing titles of first 4 pokegens represented were The colour of Mascot pokemons. Not too Impressive.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
EpicBroFist, Namer Extraordinaire

Anyways, I think the names are great.

Last edited:

Aquaphyre

水が好きな人
Years
X and y? REALLY POKEMON?! DID YOU SERIOUSLY RUN OUT OF NAMES?! I CAN NAME SO MANY GOOD ONES! QUAKE AND TORNADO! LIGHT AND SHADOW! SERIOUSLY POKEMON! THOSE ARE TERRIBLE NAMES!

I couldn't disagree more.. I love the names

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Good day, and welcome to the boards. We're not just a place to vent; we're a place to gain understanding behind things. I suggest doing the latter. It's less stressful. :)

Cyclone

Guy

just a guy
Years
Hm. Now that I think about it... Maybe they aren't bad games.
I can think of names that are a lot worse.

But if the central theme of these games are going to revolve around genetics ─ there's a double helix found in the Japanese logo ─ then they are at least suitable, even if one may think their titles are bad.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I think that the X and Y either represent axes on a graph or male and female chromosomes. Coldplay's album a few years back was also named X & Y but I don't think that this will have anything to do it the game haha.
Black and White also share names with albums interestingly enough...though that's proably just by chance.

I think they wanted to go with X and Y because these are 3D games while the 3D axis is made up of X, Y, and Z, also with the added pun (sort of) of genetics which use the same letters so it's a bit of killing two stones with one stone theme here.
Also X represents mystery, while Y is another intergal, so after N we might just be getting more mathematical here. (mathematics also use Z, K, and i so there's possible third version names there but Z would fit the best imo)

Guy

just a guy
Years
Black and White also share names with albums interestingly enough...though that's proably just by chance.

I think they wanted to go with X and Y because these are 3D games while the 3D axis is made up of X, Y, and Z, also with the added pun (sort of) of genetics which use the same letters so it's a bit of killing two stones with one stone theme here.
Also X represents mystery, while Y is another intergal, so after N we might just be getting more mathematical here. (mathematics also use Z, K, and i so there's possible third version names there but Z would fit the best imo)
From my point of view, math uses any and every letter of the alphabet. Science too.

With the added in helix of the Japanese logo, one can't help but think that the titles are more than just GameFreak trying to be punny. Usually the names have nothing to do with the overall story or theme, but I suppose there is always a first for everything. While I think the theory of X and Y being points on the 3D axis is more of a symbolic representation for being made for the 3DS than anything else.

Back