• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?

Who is the hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?

• Roxanne

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Brawly

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • Wattson

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Flannery

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Norman

Votes: 53 18.5%
  • Winona

Votes: 22 7.7%
  • Tate & Liza

Votes: 129 45.1%
  • Wallace/Juan

Votes: 19 6.6%

• Total voters
Years
On my first playthrough, Brawly gave me fits with Makuhita's Arm Thrust. He'd always get 3-4 consecutive thrusts in one attack, and the only type advantage I could have used was by using Flying types. Unfortunately, my Taillow had crap defense, so he was taken out quickly. I don't have a problem with him now, but back then, I needed more than 10 tries to beat him. The rest of the game was a breeze, save for Steven.

Years
  • Seen Sep 26, 2013
Brawly, its right at the start of the game, and when you are doing some kind of challenge, if you didn't get a Taillow or Wurmple, you'll never pass it. (Unless of course you switch train an abra from lvl. 7 max to level 20, which is quite a big pain)

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
Years
Didn't really have problems with Gym Leaders, I always over-level my Pokemon (Like a Blaziken/Swampert and Swellow before Mauville). I had a problem with Roxanne though because I was trying to level up Taillow only. I deposited everything except it. He died so many times...

Years
Now that I think about it, most of the gym leaders in this generation were quite tough, with the exception of Roxanne. For me Tate and Liza stand out above the rest.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
Norman definitely proved to be a challenge for me with that facade (@_@), but so did Tate and Liza.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
I thought Emerald Tate & Liza were the hardest to beat because none of my pokemon had an edge against their pokemon the first time I went against them, but they got easy once I became more prepared.

Honestly, other than that one battle I've never had a problem with the other gym leaders.

jaydezzal

Sarcastic Guy
Years
I'm gonna vote for Brawly. It's not so much that he's hard, but if you can't beat him you're kinda screwed... Not really much in the way of training, especially if you've already beaten all of the trainers.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Tate & Liza. You need to have an iron will, and an iron team to make it through them alive. Double Battle, some insanely powerful Pokemon, and Lunatone/Solrock together was the worst Scenario you could get into. The rematches were even worse, but thankfully they're optional.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
For me it was Liz and Tate just because it was so hard as it was an double battle. it took 100 tries to defeat them as that Solrock/lunatune are so tough to beat.

Shayminlover123

Top Pokemon Trainer
Years
I can't decide between Brawly or Wattson

Brawly because his Pokemon are really strong that early in the game.

And Wattson because of those Magnetons.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Tate and Liza, it's not so much the power of their Pokemon rather their usage of potions in combination with status boosting technics which made the battle pretty hard. I've had serious trouble beating them most of the time ^^"

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
Tate and Liza....Omfg, those twins are so...Idk even what to say. They were so hard to beat and it would make it worse if you had blaziken.

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
Oh man, so many to say.

They were all pretty tough, but Watson, Norman and even Roxanne stand out for me. Man they were annoying. Lately been having plenty of trouble with Brawly too, especially on Emerald.

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
Didn't like Tate and Liza.

Don't exactly have fond memories with them. ._.

Back