• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sprites, Sprites, and More Sprites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
I've always loved to sprite, and I've done so on and off over the years, so I'll have the older and newer stuff. Some will be transparent, some won't, since it's hopefully not a big deal, and I'm pretty lazy, I won't make the ones that aren't transparent, transparent.

Mixes
Older:
allmixes.gif

Newer(ish):
newermixes.png

Trainers
Older:
oldtrainersprites.png

(Me as a trainer)
fionaaaaatrainer.png
fionaaaaoverworld.png
fionaaaaabacksprite.png

Intro Hero sprites:
bigherospritefinished.png
bigheroinespritefinishe.png

Sprite request from Nintendork15
nintendorkstrainer.png
nintendorksbacksprite.png

Revamps
Miscellaneous -> R/S
quilavarevampll6.png
dragoniterevampkk0.png
sandslashrevampxc0.gif
ninetalesrevampbo8.gif
magcargorevampux6.png
machamprevampor3.gif
vaporeonrevampyc9.png
crocnawrevampmz5.png
ampharosrevamphw4.png
kingdrarevamp.png

My Unfinished Green -> R/S Revamp Project (Maybe I'll get to finishing that eventually)
gengargrevampsr2.png
bulbagrevamp.png
machampgrevamply5.png
eeveegreenrevamplx3.png
seadragreenrevampal8.png
mewtwogrevamp.png

Pixel Art
[Again, Older -> Newer]
mysticpixelartpb7.png

(^This was my first sprite-related work EVER XD)
espeonpixelart2qy8.gif

porygon2pa.gif

tailssadnk1.png

streakzsolowh4.png

Re-Elements
oldreelements.png
firerockbulbasaur.gif
relitopspoison.png

(Ice/Rock; Water; Water; Winter [Ice]; Fire/Rock; Poison)

Fakemon
fakemon2kb1.png
frozellirb1.png
wyveon2bl2.gif
ghostydognk7.png

(All are pretty old except for the last one)

tokemyksprite.png

(*New) Tokemyk, the Water/Ground, muskrat Pokemon.

Other Random Nonsense
Custom Poses:
customposesy.png

Other?
jelloratataei6.png

Jello Rattata? XD
ashchu.png

Ashchu, made for a friend.
hulkjiggly.png
hulkjigglyback.png

Hulk Jiggly. The result of an inside joke.​

Last edited:
Years
Hey, welcome back to PC! Always great to see oldies return!
allmixes.gif

Anyway, onto your work. These pieces are a mixture of really good, and not-so-good. I see you sprite in the RSE/FRLG style; I personally love that style as well. n_n

Feel free to skip this part of the post as it's critting your old sprites by clicking this sentence.

Okay, the Mewtwo/Absol fusion is really choppy, doesn't flow well and the shading has gone terribly wrong. Wooper/Mareep is really cute, but the head seems a bit cut and paste here.

I absolutely adore the Ursaring/Roselia; you've scaled the parts of Roselia beautifully and it's really good work n_n. Ursaring/Hariyama is okay but the dress ruins it for me; it looks flat and doesn't emulate Hariyama's dress well. Or skirt, or whatever it is.

Blaziken/Typhlosion is both good and bad; it's been done well but some of the scratch work could be worked on; Blaziken's hair should be pointed, and the top outline could be less jaggier. Also, I feel it's got too little black outline on it. Kanghaskhan/Tyranitar is another awesome fusion, though I would've kept Kanga's pouch on this one, as the lines of Tyranitar's triangle thing kinda makes that area look messy.

Spinda/Cacturne <3. I don't know what Ludicolo's fused with here, but I'm lovin' it (the beak could do with some black outline though). Ekans/Seviper is like Spinda/Cacturne except the teeth could have a bit more depth and be more curved.

Sabeleye/Quilava is okay, but the line on the head just wrecks it. Also, I think to add more Sabeleyeness, you should've kept the diamond eyes. Relicanth/Kabutops is nice but the claws have been C+P'd and not reshaded. >:

Again, I'm not sure what Raichu was fused with but the head is waaay too large and the shading looks pretty messy as a result. Quagsire/Flaffy (or however it's spelled. Flaafy? Flaaffy? idek) is okay but the neckbrace thing looks pillowshaded (and still doesn't look fluffy, ironically) and I think it would've worked much better with Quagsire's palette instead (it's less harsh).

Numel/Growlithe is nice but the stripe furthest away from us doesn't look right. I've no idea what Aggron was fused with but it looks pretty messy (are some outlines missing? I think that's it). Nice scratchwork though on the details.

Lairon/Girafarig's head is too cluttered but on a whole it's a nice piece. Jigglypuff/Lugia is nice too but the wings could be smoother and some anti-aliasing around the pattern on the stomach wouldn't do any harm.

Meganium/Bulbasaur is a nice sprite but I just don't like it. The Kingdra scratch is anatomically incorrect and the head is far too large. The shading could also do with being more rounded.

If that's an alternate evolution to Pineco, than I love it and it'd make me want to catch a Pineco. If it's not, I still love it. Awesome job there, though the top's outline is a tad messy. Furret/Seviper is a nice idea and executed rather well though some of the outline is very jagged and lacks shading.

Furret/Masquerain is nice but really plain on some parts of the body. Also, the tail seems to be positioned incorrectly. Politoed/Delibird is lovely, as is Cubone/Hitmonchan (I can't stop looking at it. Kudos there :D) and Rayquaza/Charmeleon. Banette/Croconaw is nice but because of Banette's shading, the blue doesn't match Croconaw's. A simple reshade would help there.

Finally, Clefairy/Ho-Oh is very messy. The black parts of the eyes could be rounded off with some anti-aliasing and the wings look really rigid, and could flow much better. Moving on...

[a id]skip[/a id]
newermixes.png

Cranidos/Onix is beautiful, though the head piece could have that weird, light-grey outline removed. Croagunk/Skorupi is really nice. Electabuzz/Remoraid not so much, however, as it's pretty messy. I think removing the foot would do this sprite some justice. Dragonite/Salamence is nice but the tail looks really bad. Chimchar/Mankey is lovely :3. The Torkoal is nice, too.

oldtrainersprites.png

Rather nice, but clearly edits. My only qualm is that the blonde dude is barefoot o.O.

fionaaaaatrainer.png
fionaaaaoverworld.png
fionaaaaabacksprite.png

Wow, beautiful work here. even though the trainer sprite is a fusion, it all goes well. The hat on the overworld seems a tad flat, though. :/

quilavarevampll6.png
dragoniterevampkk0.png
sandslashrevampxc0.gif
ninetalesrevampbo8.gif
magcargorevampux6.png
machamprevampor3.gif
vaporeonrevampyc9.png
crocnawrevampmz5.png
ampharosrevamphw4.png

They okay but are simple reshades. Anatomy problems such as with Croconaw could be fixed. Machamp doesn't look very nice and is missing his belt. My favourite is either Quilava or Magcargo.

gengargrevampsr2.png
bulbagrevampon3.png
machampgrevamply5.png
eeveegreenrevamplx3.png
seadragreenrevampal8.png

Gegnar is good, as are Bulbasaur and Seadra. Eevee and Machamp. however, not so much. Eevee looks a bit grainy in places and Machamp is literally just a reshade (and is missing his belt again).

mysticpixelartpb7.png

The shading isn't good on this and the purple's positioning doesn't give a sense of curviness. I'm guess this was a pixel over; if so, why'd you not trace the pattern? Finally, the collar is just ugly, shaded badly, isn't curved and is just bad.
espeonpixelart2qy8.gif

It's okay, but the eyes need an outline, the shading doesn't follow the lightsource properly and the tail should be more curved/thicker in places.
porygon2pa.gif

The shading could be more curved here.
tailssadnk1.png

The shading doesn't look nice at all. There should be black outlines and in some places it's pillowshaded.
streakzsolowh4.png

Again, this could do with some black outline and less pillow shading. Also the eye going through the hair just looks wrong.

oldreelements.png
firerockbulbasaurug2.gif
relitopspoisongo0.png

They're all nice, though I think Seaking's rock part does nothing and it needs it'd patterns back (perhaps make them look icy or less curved?).

fakemon2kb1.png
frozellirb1.png
wyveon2bl2.gif
ghostydognk7.png

The shading on all of these aren't good, except for maybe the last one. The second one has straight lines all over the place and, by the way, official sprites face the bottom-left. The ladt one could do with some black outlines, and the third looks like a fusion involving Jolteon if I'm not mistaken.

customposesy.png

Horsea is beautiful and I kind of understand what you were going for with Poochyena but it wasn't done well I'm afraid.

jelloratataei6.png

The whipped cream ruins it. Not much to say here, except "nice edit."

ashchu.png

Again, "nice edit."
hulkjiggly.png
hulkjigglyback.png

Ahaha, awesome! It's done really well but the hair on the backsprite could be improved and (also on the backsprite), the arm could be moved inwards a little to flow better. Awesome sprite though :3.

Anyway, I hope I helped. It's nice to see some vets come back after all this time!

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Ice seems to have covered... everything, fairly exhaustively, to the point that I don't even want to read most of the post. I have to disagree about the Xweetok, though... The shading and outline look fine to me, and eyes visible through hair is a pretty common design. There is one part where I see a problem, though; the right arm just isn't shaded enough. It could at least use a little more highlight.

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
Well wow, thanks for the extensive critique, let's see here, things to clear up:

-Nearly everything was made before Diamond/Pearl were released, so... 3rd gen style sprites run amok for that reason... but even then, I've been sticking to 3rd gen style because I'm working on a rom hack. XD
-That Ludicolo one is a Ludicolo/Shedinja, which I know isn't obvious at all.
-The Pineco is Pineco/Glalie.
-Raichu/Banette (as you can see, it's the same pose as the Feraligatr/Banette)
-Aggron/Ledian (explaining its 4 arms XD)
-Also, the Kingdra is a Kingdra/Gorebyss. And all it retained from Gorebyss is the shape. Ha.
-I reeeeally want to point out that the newer trainer sprite is mostly scratched other than using existing sprites as a base. Which I'm sure is what you meant, but I always try to avoid "fusing" things, and rather scratch on the parts.
-For the green revamps: Have you seen the Machamp green sprite? I've edited it to death and I ended up just giving up. Because geez that green sprite was hideous. Also, aw, I liked my Eevee 'cuz it had the most interesting pose. Look at it trying to be all vicious and whatnot.
-Also, wait, Machamp has a belt? Am I crazy or isn't that only Machoke?
-If you're pointing out the last Fakemon as not facing bottom left, the idea was that it was turned away, but looking back.
-Lastly, yeah, I didn't like the whipped cream. Just looked lame, but I felt it was boring without it. (It was an odd request)

Also, @Chesu, I love how you just knew that it was a Xweetok. XD I didn't think anyone would actually know what it was.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Well, I've been playing Neopets for ten and a half years... All achievements and caps in TFR so far! ;)

I sprite in the GBA style as well, though I don't really have a reason for it; I just prefer to do things that way.

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
Just a quick and small update.
tokemyksprite.png

This is Tokemyk (Water/Ground). He's a muskrat. Fear him.

(He's made for the upcoming Pink Jelly hack, I'd go off more on him, but that'd ruin the fun of surprise, I s'pose.)

Years
Just a quick and small update.
tokemyksprite.png

This is Tokemyk (Water/Ground). He's a muskrat. Fear him.

(He's made for the upcoming Pink Jelly hack, I'd go off more on him, but that'd ruin the fun of surprise, I s'pose.)

I think it would be more of a Pokémon style if you gave that 'cloud' some dark outlining such as Weezing and Koffing's smoke for example.
109.png
110.png

You could remove some highlights from what i'm assuming, the fur(brown stuff) mostly around the back area and you can darken the back arm by replacing the base colours with the shaded ones. Your outlining is very well done though and clean though.

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
@fluid: Thank you! I'm glad the... ridiculous-ness of some of them are able to make someone lol. XD

@Logiedan: Ah~ A comment on one of the new sprites. They have been the first sprites in at least 6 months so I needed some crit, so thank you.
Anyway, the brown stuff was intended to be rocky, so obviously I'm still terrible at that. XD He's intended to be based on the Earth, so its design will make more sense. Also, I was using 3rd gen sprites as reference, and they, oddly, don't have outlines for their smoke.
Spr_3f_109.png

Although, it does seem to look better with an outline. I'll perhaps make some edits. Soon (Not tonight, anyway).

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
I think the best work are the trainers; I really like the intro trainer.

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
Ha, that's probably because my avatar trainer sprite and the intro hero are 2 out of the 3 of the most recent sprites I've done. The majority of the sprites, really, are from years ago. XD

Thank you though, glad to have a comment on the intro hero. =]

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
Just a small update, but here's another random trainer sprite.
nintendorkstrainer.png

It came as a random request from Nintendork15. Not sure why I was randomly chosen for the request, but I s'pose it's all good. XD

Poster

Will pixel art for pizza
Years
Referring to the post above:

Welcome to the world of requests *spontaneous diabolic laughter*

You can use some work. First of all, the way the head 'bends' towards the back makes the face look flat, or 2-D, so you need to balance it in the neck.

The proportions are good, but you could improve the palette on the jeans if you want (unless it's part of the request to look like this).

Finally, mess around with the outlining/shading on the left hand (our right hand), because right now it looks stiff.

Also, nice post Icy Balls ;D

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
U were chosen because
1.your quite good
2. ur the only one who would take my request :D

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
It's kinda late to say, but thanks for the comments~ (I've been trying to save a post for a sprite... but then I haven't done much because of the holidays).

bigheroinespritefinishe.png

Here's the female intro hero sprite. Whoo.

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
I guess both of the heroes are s'posed to have more of a blank expression, although slightly angry/sad would be good too. They live in a kind of suckish world, so I definitely didn't want them to look too excited about that. XD Thank you, by the way. =]

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
Wow! Is it possible if you can fuse Lance, Riley and Plasma Boss N together? : P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back