• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cursive

Years
Can you write in cursive? Can you read cursive? Also, show a sample of your writing if you like.

I learned it in school, and probably could write it if I tried, but it would be sloppy looking. It also takes me a lot longer to read cursive, especially if it's extra flowy.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I used to write in cursive exclusively, but I now write in print because it's easier to understand. I still use it for my signature, though.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I guess I'll make the distinction before I answer: I refer to cursive writing as this. Not just joined-together writing, I mean the specific fancy handwriting. I got into an argument with someone once who was making fun of North Americans for being "too dumb" to write cursive until we realized we both called cursive different things and what we lump under printing (because of the shape of the characters), he called cursive (aka "joined together"). I guess in some places printing means you lift the writing tool between every character.

I don't like cursive. It's faster, I guess (when I'm not trying to remember how to write certain letters), but that means I get really sloppy the faster I go and in the end it's really ugly and I can't read it anyway. If I'm concentrating to make sure it's legible, it's much slower than printing.

I guess by some dictionary definitions, I write cursive all the time though, so long as it's the other definition where you don't always lift your pen from the paper. most of my words will be fully connected and if that's all that matters, then yes, I write cursive all the time. :P

Years
I can read and write cursive. However, I don't use it. I write in print far faster and neater. Basically I only use cursive for my signature anymore.

My cursive could probably be neater if I actually used it, but a) I'm lazy and b) why do I even need to use it??

Crux

Evermore
Years
I prefer cursive, but i've got strange hand-writting.
You can understand it, but it's not generic cursive.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
It was enforced during my schooling, so yes. My own writing is generally clear, but I'm not much of a reader.
I hate the act of writing and how mine looks, possibly due to the enforced style I know no better than, so I won't post it.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I was taught to read and write in cursive in the 4th grade. I hated it with a passion. Printing was so much easier. Thanks to that, my writing is a combination of printing and cursive handwriting.

Years
I can read it (as long as it's not too fanciful of writing), and I can write it, although I've been out of practice for years and it's not my preferred method of writing. Then again, my own style of writing is somewhere in between print and cursive, so I dunno. Tends to lean more towards print (except for certain letters).

I personally always found it a chore to do when I was forced to use cursive back in school. I was extremely happy when I got to a point where teachers didn't care what the heck I used.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
I used to write in cursive until about fifth grade, but after that I stopped. I would do it again... if I remembered any of it.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I can write my name and most letters in cursive, but it's hard. :C

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I love cursive. I don't write it very well, but I can read it fine.

Did you know that a lot of elementary schools have stopped teaching kids how to write cursive? I think this is crazy.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
My cursive is terrible, and my handwriting is kind of a combination of cursive and printing. >_>

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
I usually write in cursive, as I simply find it far less time consuming, but it does have the downsides that some people can't read what I've written I guess.

Here's a quick something I did with my tablet as I was bored, and I could.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I hate cursive and I can never write it the right way. I think its unnessesary to write like that and I prefer print.

Melody

Banned
Years
I strongly dislike cursive myself, so while I have the skill, I don't have any use for it. I refuse outright to use it. I'd rather feel the individual strokes of the pen as I write.

I don't honestly think cursive serves any purpose whatsoever in today's society. My print is very clearly readable, and I don't believe it when people say otherwise. So I choose to never write cursive, despite knowing how. I always despised how my teachers in elementary school tried and tried in vain to force me to write in cursive for more than what was necessary to learn it. It was a useless skill back then, and it's useless form of decorative writing today. Now I'm not saying that those who choose to use cursive are wrong, I just don't believe anyone should be forced to learn this. It should be something strictly pursued by those who care and wish for it; too often do I see otherwise perfectly readable handwriting demeaned because someone didn't want to use cursive. It's silly really.

We don't need to make our writing systems more complicated than they already are either, and cursive serves no greater purpose than making things more difficult to read and write.

Honest

Hi!
Years
I can both read and write, but my penmanship is interesting. It's a mixture of both script and print. Iirc, I use script Ss, Fs, the fancy lower-case A as seen in this post, and also curve my lower case Gs and Ys

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
@Pachy- There are actually a lot of benefits to cursive. I wrote a whole paper on it. There are simple reasons, such as making it harder for people to forge signatures. There are also learning benefits. Writing cursive actually activates the part of the brain that processes language more than print or typing can. I don't mean to babble, but I feel very strong about cursive and I believe that everyone should be taught it some point.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I strongly dislike cursive myself, so while I have the skill, I don't have any use for it. I refuse outright to use it. I'd rather feel the individual strokes of the pen as I write.

I don't honestly think cursive serves any purpose whatsoever in today's society. My print is very clearly readable, and I don't believe it when people say otherwise. So I choose to never write cursive, despite knowing how. I always despised how my teachers in elementary school tried and tried in vain to force me to write in cursive for more than what was necessary to learn it. It was a useless skill back then, and it's useless form of decorative writing today. Now I'm not saying that those who choose to use cursive are wrong, I just don't believe anyone should be forced to learn this. It should be something strictly pursued by those who care and wish for it; too often do I see otherwise perfectly readable handwriting demeaned because someone didn't want to use cursive. It's silly really.

We don't need to make our writing systems more complicated than they already are either, and cursive serves no greater purpose than making things more difficult to read and write.

Excellent post, Pachy. I agree with you 100%. It's completely pointless to force onto children when they should be working on their penmanship with their printed handwriting, which is both easier to read and write.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
I can write my whole name in cursive and I still remember how to write some other letters, but there's a few that I can't remember at all (like most plurals).

I stopped writing in cursive after 4th grade doe, other than signatures of course

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Excellent post, Pachy. I agree with you 100%. It's completely pointless to force onto children when they should be working on their penmanship with their printed handwriting, which is both easier to read and write.
I don't see why they can't be forced to learn to write both legibly. They'll need to learn how to read it, might as well learn to write it when they're young. Leave it up to them if they want to never use it again after that point but it's not like it's difficult to learn how to write legibly in any language so long as you stick with it and practice the characters.

Back