• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: POKEMON: Dark Rising 2 (Beta 2 Released)

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thGenAce:D

I don't live by my name...
Years
Guys, looking through my PC I have a very rough Alpha version of the game, this poses me with two choices.

1) I release the ROM as it is, it has OWs, basic story and mapping. I've not played it too much, but I do know that it is playable, how far it goes, I do not know.

2) I re-form a team and try to continue the ROM with the story that DarkRisingGirl had written on the front page with possible changes.

I've never made a ROM hack as my own before, I've only helped. So if the second option were to be chosen, I could only help with OW sprites and the story.

Choose guys, it's all up to you! :)

I suggest you do both, release the version crediting her, then form a team. We can ask a lot of the hackers at PC to help too.

Other members of the disbanded team are willing to help. I personally can help, I am a decent story guy and I do perform a little well in character dialogue. I can't get A-text working on my netbook though, but that's not something that will stop me.

What about the Sora sprites?

P.S.: I played DR1 and I get the essence of the story pretty well.

Years
Okay the guys, I've decided to upload the alpha and then let people download and play it for themselves. Then once people have played it then they can decide. I'm not sure how up to date this version is, but it's the most up to date version that we know of.

Here it is: DR2 It is a Fired Red ROM.

Tell me what you guys think once you've played it, I haven't played it other than the first 'cut scene' so I do not know where it ends. But once that has happened, I will form a team if that's what you all want! :)

As for Sora, I've no idea. Like I said I will just be resurrecting this ROM and working on it, but whatever happens story wise is up to who ever is in charge of the story :)

Last edited:

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
Guys, looking through my PC I have a very rough Alpha version of the game, this poses me with two choices.

1) I release the ROM as it is, it has OWs, basic story and mapping. I've not played it too much, but I do know that it is playable, how far it goes, I do not know.

2) I re-form a team and try to continue the ROM with the story that DarkRisingGirl had written on the front page with possible changes.

I've never made a ROM hack as my own before, I've only helped. So if the second option were to be chosen, I could only help with OW sprites and the story.

Choose guys, it's all up to you! :)

I'd be greatful if you did both...everyone would be... BUT I think that you should have DRG's permission to do this.
I'm really disappointed to know that DRG won't make a public release ( unless she changes her mind ) . I hope that your idea will work .

Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016
She did not say that she would not make a public release with 100% certainty. She said that it is a possibility, meaning she might still release the full game (but, like I said, I doubt it will be as good as it would've been if everyone continued to help her).

I really do not like this idea to be honest. You should've gotten her permission first (although that might be a little challenging given the current situation). Not to mention, the story will not be what it was intended to be. Seeing as how the storyline is apparently the strongest portion of the Dark Rising series, and with how passionate DRG seems to be about the story in her games, I think it would both end up insulting her, further encouraging her to not come back to this community, and end up with a feeling while playing the hack "Well, this is cool I guess, but I'm still not seeing the events of the game fold out in the way DRG envisioned them, so why care?" There is also no guarantee that this team you put together will have the dedication and work ethic to see the game to completion, not to mention the possibility of the content the new team comes up with having a chance to clash with the already created content. Finally, there is also the fact that the Dark Rising series is supposed to be a trilogy. How are you going to do the story and gameplay features for a game that DRG has probably not even given a single thought to, nor even started a thread for?

All pros and cons considered, this just seems like a bad idea to me. She could always come back, release the second game, then start over on the forums fresh with the third game. Maybe I'm foolish for thinking this, but I still want to hold out on the hope that she will eventually return.

Years
She did not say that she would not make a public release with 100% certainty. She said that it is a possibility, meaning she might still release the full game (but, like I said, I doubt it will be as good as it would've been if everyone continued to help her).

I really do not like this idea to be honest. You should've gotten her permission first (although that might be a little challenging given the current situation). Not to mention, the story will not be what it was intended to be. Seeing as how the storyline is apparently the strongest portion of the Dark Rising series, and with how passionate DRG seems to be about the story in her games, I think it would both end up insulting her, further encouraging her to not come back to this community, and end up with a feeling while playing the hack "Well, this is cool I guess, but I'm still not seeing the events of the game fold out in the way DRG envisioned them, so why care?" There is also no guarantee that this team you put together will have the dedication and work ethic to see the game to completion, not to mention the possibility of the content the new team comes up with having a chance to clash with the already created content. Finally, there is also the fact that the Dark Rising series is supposed to be a trilogy. How are you going to do the story and gameplay features for a game that DRG has probably not even given a single thought to, nor even started a thread for?

All pros and cons considered, this just seems like a bad idea to me. She could always come back, release the second game, then start over on the forums fresh with the third game. Maybe I'm foolish for thinking this, but I still want to hold out on the hope that she will eventually return.

Thanks for your feedback and I completely understand, however there is no possible way to communicate with her, I had sent her Facebook and PMs. However I don't find that she will be insulted, I think that she will be happy that people enjoyed this game so much that they are willing to make their own versions. It'd be like a fan-game of a ROM hack, if you will. As it is unfinished it would be our own version of it. It won't be the exact version that she wants. It would be more of our interpretation of the notes that she has given to us. The third and final version will probably not happen as, like you said, there's no information about it at all. However, if this becomes successful, perhaps she will come back and then make the third version and she will use the team that we used to make the second version. I agree also about what you said regarding the team. But that doesn't matter. There are several fan games that have been made with people dropping out of the teams. And it will be the most dedicated people who remain to work on it. It will be like a movie adaptation of a book, given the story we will try to replicate it, but like I'm saying. I may not even make the team, but I have released the Alpha and that will be it for now.
Thanks for the feedback :)

Years
  • Seen Oct 16, 2021
I think it's a good idea for you to continue the hack.

As much as it's initially her hack, cancelling it without explaination after all effort you put on it is completly insulting. For this reason i don't think you should cancel all the work you did for the hack.

I agree that maybe story won't be as it was initially supposed to be, but as long as you have the main storyline and you work a lot on dialog, which is the strongest point of DR1, I think it will come out good enough.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 1, 2019
I couldn't play too far into the game, pretty much stopped right when she presents the pokemon choices, my chick would go straight through the wall and then the professor would repeat her words and i'd go farther into the darkness. I tried to restart from outside the lab and it repeated it again. I don't know if I'm the only one getting that or not.

Also learned going into the rooms on the ship is a no no, lol you'll get battled by trainers with no pokemon your team you die pretty quickly.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I gotta say you buried any possibility of DRG releasing version here.
Releasing the version without her permission isn't nice thing to do...
And as for some team completing this hack...
Do you want Dark Rising 2 or just another hack you're gonna play?

As much as it's initially her hack, cancelling it without explaination after all effort you put on it is completly insulting. For this reason i don't think you should cancel all the work you did for the hack.
She can. It's her work.

4thGenAce:D

I don't live by my name...
Years

She can. It's her work.

It's technically NOT her work now.
It's JBSundown's copy. So he owns it. DRG gave it to him and at the same time the ownership of the copy he has.

And what if JBSundown edited even the slightest of content in the game? That would mean he is also part of the creation of the game, part of the ownership of the game.

And, do you want "just another hack you're gonna play" or no game at all?

Some things should be done for the better of the majority.

Years

She can. It's her work.

Thanks for showing concern, but I think we can all agree that the chances of her coming back anyway are pretty slim. Like I said previously, I don't claim the version I hope to create as DRG's game. It will be a fan interpretation of DRG's game. Admitted it's a little bit malicious (not a good word choice there) but as we have seen, there was little of the game actually put onto that ROM, I for one spent a lot of time working on the game and still have all of my files left over. But as the ROM in my possession is mostly empty, that gives us a lot of space to work with. Think of it in terms of a movie. We are the directors, etc. And DRG was the one who wrote the script and the story. We just need to follow it as best we can to respect her. The idea of me resurrecting the ROM without her permission may seem like I'm trying to take credit or something, I'm not. Not at all. I simply want to enjoy this as do many other people seemingly. I'm doing this to make people happy and show DRG (if she returns) that lots of people still want to play this game, and then if she does return, she will of course take the ROM back completely. :)

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
It's technically NOT her work now.
It's JBSundown's copy. So he owns it. DRG gave it to him and at the same time the ownership of the copy he has.

And what if JBSundown edited even the slightest of content in the game? That would mean he is also part of the creation of the game, part of the ownership of the game.
By this logic, I can claim ownership of Light Platinum.
Can I?
Obviously NOT.
Hack is always property of creator unless creator passes the ownership to someone else.

And, do you want "just another hack you're gonna play" or no game at all?
I mean what I mean.
Dark Rising 2 has story that only Dark Rising Girl knows and if it's done by someone else, it won't be Dark Rising 2 we wanted to see.

I don't want to defend DRG or anything, I'm just saying my opinion on the situation.

Years
Man you should have waited and see what to do next before releasing the alpha version. I suggest you make another hack similar to this one but leave Dark Rising Girl's Work.

Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2021

By this logic, I can claim ownership of Light Platinum.
Can I?
Obviously NOT.
Hack is always property of creator unless creator passes the ownership to someone else.

I can sort this out, probably. By that logic, he and you are both correct.
If you go to a store, and buy a game, do you own that game? Yes. You own that copy of the game.
And with that copy, you are free to do what you will with it.
Of course DRG still holds ownership over it, but she gave a copy out, which means that that copy is under someone else's ownership.

Beyond attempt to sort this out, I can't actually comment on it, as I've yet to finish the first one. >_>

LordLeon

AoE Fan
Years
I can sort this out, probably. By that logic, he and you are both correct.
If you go to a store, and buy a game, do you own that game? Yes. You own that copy of the game.
And with that copy, you are free to do what you will with it.
Of course DRG still holds ownership over it, but she gave a copy out, which means that that copy is under someone else's ownership.

Beyond attempt to sort this out, I can't actually comment on it, as I've yet to finish the first one. >_>
No, you can use the game as per the ToS(Terms of Service) you have to agree to when you install it. For hacks like this one, however, there are no ToS and hence no restrictions to editing them, though it is not always ethical to do so. In this case however, it may be Ok, as long as you explicitly state that you have edited a copy of DRG's game and you have no ill will whatsoever.

Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2021
No, you can use the game as per the ToS(Terms of Service) you have to agree to when you install it. For hacks like this one, however, there are no ToS and hence no restrictions to editing them, though it is not always ethical to do so. In this case however, it may be Ok, as long as you explicitly state that you have edited a copy of DRG's game and you have no ill will whatsoever.

My only defense is that I was half-asleep when I wrote that. But thank you for amending my statement.

While I'm not entirely sure of what my thought process was, I think it was more along the lines of sharing the game with a friend or something like that. Not the whole nine yards.

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2017
can't you add a option to pick the 6th gen starters or some way to get a REAL starter that was the ONLY thing i hated about dark rising 1

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2017
that would make ALOT more play this because ALOT of people just turn tail run right when they see that there aren't real starters i will also post on facebook and other chat rooms to help if you can do that

Years
can't you add a option to pick the 6th gen starters or some way to get a REAL starter that was the ONLY thing i hated about dark rising 1
Gen 6 starters cannot be included for many reasons. Some of them are :

- The hack has a unique story which involves the events from the first sequel. You have to start with the Drgon Starters.Most hacks rely on Water,Grass and Fire types but adding Dragons as starters is something.

- 6th generation starters cannot be added too because their other evolutions are still unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back